View Full Version : Using Antimony Sulfide in flash?

Macgyver
November 14th, 2003, 08:28 AM
I've seen that some flash powders use a small percentage of antimony sulfide (SbS3), what exactly is it that the antimony sulfide does in the mix?

Is it that it sensitizes the mixture (lowering ignition temp/shock sensitivity) or is it as a burn-rate enhancer?

Crazy Swede
November 14th, 2003, 09:35 AM
There are several reasons why some, especially older, flash formulas contain antimony trisulphide, or stibnite.

One important thing is its density! The material is quite heavy and therefore it is possible to fill a specific volume with more flash if it contains stibnite.

Arkangel
November 14th, 2003, 09:39 AM
It's a bit lazy just to quote, but from the Skylighter page:

Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle. Fuel used in glitter compositions and commonly in white comets and stars

It is very often used as a part of primer compositions for stars etc.

Bert
November 14th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Is it that it sensitizes the mixture (lowering ignition temp/shock sensitivity) or is it as a burn-rate enhancer?

Both. As Crazy Swede noted, it also allows a greater weight per volume than flash without or with Sulfur instead.

deadsexy
November 14th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Antimony sulfide is used with Potassium Chlorate in salutes called torpedoes. This mixture is very sensative. Topedoes are thrown away from you against the ground, which will result in a loud report. www.unitednuclear.com/torpedo.htm

Macgyver
November 15th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by deadsexy
Antimony sulfide is used with Potassium Chlorate in salutes called torpedoes. This mixture is very sensative. Topedoes are thrown away from you against the ground, which will result in a loud report. www.unitednuclear.com/torpedo.htm

Yes, I did know that.

I think it's time for some experiments to compare ordinary perchlorate based flash vs. perchlorate based flash with some antimony trisulfide in it to test if it's any louder or more destructive than the ordinary perchlorate based flash.

I got some antimony trisulfide with my last chemical order so I might do some testing soon, just wanted to know if any of you had any experiences with it first.... :D

(When it comes to getting hold of chemicals I like Sweden, such a pity that getting decent fuse should be so hard).

Bert
November 15th, 2003, 01:18 AM
I think it's time for some experiments to compare ordinary perchlorate based flash vs. perchlorate based flash with some antimony trisulfide in it to test if it's any louder or more destructive than the ordinary perchlorate based flash.

Enjoy your testing... Flash isn't especialy good for destructive uses, just check out the volume.

Potassium perchlorate 8 parts

Pyro Aluminum 3 parts

Antimony sulfide 1 part

+ 1% Cabot M-5 cabosil (ball mill with perchlorate)

irish
November 15th, 2003, 06:37 PM
I always thought that Antimony Sulphide was just for a brighter white flash ?
I have located an old Stibnite mine near here so I'll look forward to the results of any testing :D .

Bert
November 16th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Antimony sulphide is used for white stars with nitrate.

The difference in an Aluminum fueled mix isn't noticable, the Al flame is allready so bright.

It's a sensitizer, "strike anywhere" match tips are a chlorate/Antimony sulphide mix. It sensitizes perchlorate too, but not to the same degree. During the American civil war, a mix of chlorate and Antimony sulphide was used for land mines... And it was a standard military small arms primer mix untill after WWII. If you try it with chlorate, keep your batches SMALL untill you get a good feel for just how sensitive this can be.

Macgyver
November 16th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Bert
It's a sensitizer, "strike anywhere" match tips are a chlorate/Antimony sulphide mix. It sensitizes perchlorate too, but not to the same degree.

I found out that flash with SbS3 in it had a bit louder crack wthan ordinary flash, but I only tested small amounts due to being in a residential area at the moment.

I always use pechlorate for flash, but maybe an KClO3 + SbS3 mix would be good to make a striker at the end of the fuse to allow ignition by using a maxchbox cover just like with matches? Or do I need something more in the mix for that?

@Fixed that now. Only quoted whats needed now!

Bert
November 16th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Should work. Add a bit of fine ground glass for friction and bind with liquid hide glue which will provide an additional fuel. You shouldn't need a matchbook striker, these have a phosphorous compound which will further sensitize the chlorate match head comp., however. They may blow up when struck on these-

Tuatara
November 16th, 2003, 04:35 PM
@MacGyver: This is the second time you've quoted someones entire post. Please don't. Its irritating and wastes space.

Macgyver
November 18th, 2003, 08:08 AM
While we're discussing the use of atimony trisulfide, isn't that what is also used as part of the compositions in matcheads? (Safety matches, that requires a striking surface with red phosporous).

I don't think this calls for a new thread so we'll sort it out in this one.

I've read that the composition used should be potassium chlorate, antimony trisulfide and possibly fine powdered glass. (Sounds terribly sensitive if you ask me, but I've tried a small amount of just the p. chlorate and antimony trisulfide, and that does not catch fire by scratching a stick dipped in the mix against a matchbox).

Mix used was 60/40 p.chlorate/antimony trisulfide.

Bert
November 20th, 2003, 12:05 PM
I am a wanker. Just re-checked the formulations for the tips on strike anywhere type match heads- The sensitizing agent is ~10% Phosphorous sesquisulphide.

werewolf
November 21st, 2003, 12:26 AM
Isn't atimony trisulfide poisonous so you would have to have percautions using it.

Bert
November 21st, 2003, 01:23 AM
Yup. It's toxic, but if you have any sense, you're allready wearing a particle mask and gloves at a MINIMUM when working with chemicals. Aren't you?

Macgyver
November 22nd, 2003, 11:22 AM
Yes. And I usually start out by reading the MSDS for any new chemcial I encounter before using it for anything.

Better safe than sorry!

Macgyver
November 26th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Bert
Potassium perchlorate 8 parts
Pyro Aluminum 3 parts
Antimony sulfide 1 part
+ 1% Cabot M-5 cabosil (ball mill with perchlorate)

This composition deffinitively works like a charm, thanks Bert!

I put just about 1/4 teaspoon on a piece of masking tape and folded it to test the burn rate, and that small amount went seriously BOOM!

Bert
November 27th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Try 5 lb. in an 8" bottom shot.... Good fun for all. :D

Test a small batch of 70:30 perchlorate & pyro Aluminum alongside it. Use identical volumes and containment- You will see why Antimony has a following.

Gamma1985
December 18th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know what is in flash PAPER? I can get it from magic suppliers, but its £3:50 per sheet.
I have tried the method for making guncotton, but although it works with string, paper doesn't work.

T_Pyro
December 22nd, 2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Gamma1985
Does anyone know what is in flash PAPER? I can get it from magic suppliers, but its £3:50 per sheet.

Let me introduce you to a feature of the forum that you obviously have not explored: It's called the "Search" feature. Kind of like magic, it answers your queries, no matter how common/ over-asked they may be. Use it, and be happy. Ignore it, and you might very soon be booted out. The choice is yours.

PhoeniX_KEA
December 29th, 2003, 01:27 PM
atimony trisulfide as reported by AFN is used to "sharpen" a report, to make the report louder and with more brissant.