View Full Version : E&W Private network(Wireless)

I_am_the_Black_one
November 15th, 2003, 08:22 AM
I was recently surfing the web and found a few nice topics. I then thought to my self that they have possible applications to the E&W forums. What about a private wireless network for E&W members? From what I have read no one can be charged or harassed by what passes over these networks... Maybe someone with a bit more know how can offer their opinions?

"Everyone who wants an Internet connection buys at least a 802.11 transceiver. Anyone who needs the highest speeds will likely still get a hard line from a traditional ISP, of course. Then, instead of the ISP's being the primary providers of bandwidth and routing, we create a loose P2P wireless network all across the country. So everybody is not only a user but provider of Internet access. To make the network private, all communication is encrypted. Sort of like a "wireless Freenet" in design. For this to work, encryption must be built-in and as transparent as possible so that even newbie’s will be forced to use it as default.......Now think of all the benefits.. Suddenly, we have Internet access anywhere for free. We have total privacy. We have free sharing of culture and ideas with absolutely no way for corporations to come in and stop it whether legal or not."
Slashdot (http://slashdot.org/articles/01/03/22/201231.shtml)

Seems an ok idea any comments?

Lil_Guppy
November 15th, 2003, 08:41 AM
How is having a private wireless network supposed to magically provide users with free internet access? An ISP is still going to be involved somewhere, unless you create your own, which would probably be more hastle than good.

"Everyone who wants an Internet connection buys at least a 802.11 transceiver." - AND be in range of either an ISP wireless access point OR in range of a fellow members transceiver

"Then, instead of the ISP's being the primary providers of bandwidth and routing, we create a loose P2P wireless network all across the country." - E&W has members from across the globe. To bring them into the link would require an ISP in some form to provide the link, which defeats the purpose of a wireless network.

"So everybody is not only a user but provider of Internet access." - No, a wireless network doesnt magically turn its users into mini ISP's, it provides a link between computers, to access the internet, one would still need an ISP connection somewhere in the chain.

"To make the network private, all communication is encrypted. Sort of like a "wireless Freenet" in design. For this to work, encryption must be built-in and as transparent as possible so that even newbie’s will be forced to use it as default......." - It is done by default (in most cases), and handled by the wireless interface

"Suddenly, we have Internet access anywhere for free." - No we dont.

All that aside, think of the costs involved!!

Just my two cents...

Chade
November 15th, 2003, 08:48 AM
All that being said, I love the idea of a pyro version of kazaa or overnet. All that would be needed would be someone to write such a program, or create a variant of a P2P network that already exists. I'd imagine that you could even apply some restrictions on downloading or using it, so it doesn't get clogged up with crap. For example, you could restrict access to the network to established forumites. Then there should be less problems with sharing all these rather excellent files we all have.

I lack the programming knowhow to create such a program myself, but surely someone out there could do it?

I_am_the_Black_one
November 15th, 2003, 08:52 AM
I was only quoting I was thinking that if members setup a network in their area... then had it connected via landline to others. It maybe slow, but its private and legal. If I remember correctly you can get a range of 10km with a modified tv satellite receiver. Its only directional tho...

It also takes a bit of strain off the ftp

Shoot me down its just nice bit of info i picked up

Lil_Guppy
November 15th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Chade
Good idea, but kinda like re-inventing the wheel. Besides, that is what the forum FTP is for :p But in all honesty, it would be fun to write such a program. Plus you could add all sorts of nice features :D

I_am_the_Black_one
It would be a cool concept, but you are still going to need landlines somewhere along the way, which defeats the purpose of the wireless idea. For secure communications in a chat environment, someone could knock up a version of an IRC client that encrypts data on the fly. I have tinkered around with secure message clients, and have written a program that uses a VERY heavily modified variation of the RC4 scheme. As for internet browsing, you are still going to have plain text (not encrypted) data coming and going from your ISP access point, which would probably become a target for monitoring.

NOTE: If it seems like I'm rambling, its because its late :p

Macgyver
November 15th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Have you considered what would happen to you if someone did something illegal from *your* internet connection because you shared it with others, most likely you'd end up getting charged for the crime.

Most ISP:s have something in the agreement you sign when you order the service about who's responsible if someone commits a crime and/or abuses the internet connection.

I_am_the_Black_one
November 15th, 2003, 09:07 AM
No I got that covered.. I will post the text in the morning. The basic gist of it is that if you share it you cannot be held responsible

Lil_Guppy
November 15th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Good point Macgyver, I forgot to mention that one lol. Like I said, good concept, but it wont work without a lot of swearing and cursing. Better off sticking to the forum, and if you desire extra security, email the person with a PGP encrypted email. Thats what I do :D As for my IRC idea, one could even write a script for mIRC, and a DLL or two for the encryption/decryption routines...

*Goes off to tinker with mIRC*

I_am_the_Black_one
I'm pretty sure that the account holder is responsible any and all breaches of contract committed under that account...

Nevermore
November 15th, 2003, 10:04 AM
what about a password protected chatroom on some irc server?
a WiFi link is something out of range, the maximur range with a WiFi transmitter is barely 2km, and i suppose the number of members are far less than one every two square km in the us..
Not talking about other countries..
Is that possible to set up a private irc server?
if anyone can try i suggest one of those three:
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network_and_Internet/Misc__Server_Tools/PINO_3_Server.html

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network_and_Internet/Misc__Server_Tools/wIRCd_Advanced.html

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network_and_Internet/Misc__Server_Tools/WircSrv.html

Rhadon
November 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM
It wouldn't be necessary to write your own program for an E&W P2P system, one could just use the well-known filesharing system eMule (http://www.emule-project.net) as a basis and advance from there. Since it's open source we would only need to do minor modifications which would be: The program can only connect to one non-public server which is run by one of our members.
For increased security, using a proxy server should be mandatory. This decreases download speed, but that's less important than security. Chat is already fully implemented so we wouldn't have to take care of that.

I_am_the_Black_one
November 15th, 2003, 12:30 PM
I was hoping for something like this to spring up:D

Any programmers with spare time here?

peterthesmart
November 15th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Perhaps we could get free internet from a wireless source such as a restaurant, hotel, or even airport. All we'd have to do is hide something in there that would encrypt the infromation and relay it to someone's server nearby. Also I've haerd of devices that turn electrical lines into "antennas" for tv and radio. If such devices do work, we could make a few modifications and have a whole network based off the power grid. Service would always be up unless there are blackouts.

Nevermore
November 15th, 2003, 02:16 PM
that is technically impossible...unfortuntely we can't send information on the power grid since they will be stopped by the many transformers working over them..could work for two houses connected at the same mid voltage line, but no more-

vulture
November 15th, 2003, 04:43 PM
I've set up a small wireless network myself and if there's something about wireless networking that sucks, it's security! A WEP key can be intercepted if you monitor traffic long enough. Only more or less waterproof way is association control, but then the admin has to know al MAC addresses, which would be a gift for the FBI to find.

Darkbloodpriest
November 19th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Speaking of reinventing the wheel...why would we need our OWN
emule/edonkey/overnet network? (Yes..I know overnet is serverless ;) )
If you have something to share...name it something recognizable
by a E&W connoisseur, like PMJB volume 1. That way someone could find
it on the network. Why have our own network when "THEY" would
know that everyone on that network was part of roguesci?
Although regular edonkey isn't entirely safe either.
Cue your local news station...
"A very large world wide terrorist network was brought down today
when federal agents tracked down members of roguesci.org
that were using the popular client 'edonkey'. The sting was
set up after a agents son mistakenly downloaded a document about
nerve gas when looking for information for a science project..."

Private FTP anyone? Sounds good to me!

Btw...anyone know of good proxy programs? I like ghostsurf
myself but its a tad nitpicky when its comes to playing with others.

Sorry to get further off topic...