View Full Version : Cardboard Tubes

green beret
November 16th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Just thought I would let all Aussies know that you can get very good cardboard tubes from Coles, for free! They are from those plastic bags in the veggie section, just wait until a roll runs out then help yourself. They are approx. 1 inch OD and very tough with walls of roughly 5mm diameter.
I assume these could be obtained from any grocer, but I just said coles because thats where I get mine. I have used my tubes for large AP salutes and some large fountains also.

I also obtained 1 metre of 4 inch diameter tubing with 10mm walls from bunnings, it was just sitting there so It requesitioned it for my use.

You just have to keep your eyes open.

Lil_Guppy
November 16th, 2003, 09:51 PM
My father works in a factory, and they use an industrial version of glad wrap (cling wrap) for wrapping the pallets. The wrap comes on tubes with a 52mm ID and an OD of 68mm and are 550mm long. They are strong as hell, and good for mortar tubes/starmines (thats all I have used them for) :D

As for the Coles tubes, thanks for the info, will have to keep my eye out next time :)

static_firefly
November 17th, 2003, 01:32 AM
I used to have mates that worked at woolworths and they would collect the tubes from the cash register, i ended up with 200tubes that were about 2inch long 1.5cm id and walls about 3-4ml thick. They they left. Iv yet to find a proper supplier of tubes :(

xyz
November 17th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Green Beret, My brother and I have been helping ourselves to tubes from Coles and Woolworth's for ages. They are farly large also pretty strong.

Anthony
November 17th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Those plastic till roll tubes (I think they're PVC) are great for salutes, hot glue endplugs adhere very well to them.