View Full Version : Chemical Seperation

kano420
November 18th, 2003, 01:52 PM
ya i was reading in my all purpose explosives manual the other day and it told me that i could pick up some 100% sulfur at the hardware store, its supposed to be sold for use in gardening applications, well i got there and i didn't seem to find any 100% sulfur, I did however find some mole extiguishing smoke bombs, the contained 40% sulfur, 45 % potassium nitrate, and about 15% charcol and they came with a nice size chunk of cannon fuse. so i thought why the hell not,
and pick up a pack.

anyways time pased and i used up almost all the cannon fuse on various expirements and all i have left is a plastic bag full of a mixture that is similar to black powder but doesn't ignite for shit.

so my question, Is there anyway that i can extract the sulfur from this mixture so that i can use it in other applications, and if there is what is the most simple process.

-Kano

mongo blongo
November 18th, 2003, 02:20 PM
You can extract the KNO3 by mixing it with hot water and filtering.Well that's half way there. :) I can't see a way of removing the sulfur unless you convert the sulfur into another soluble chemical and then filter. You would then have to convert it back. Seems like a lot of trouble, just for some sulfur.

grandyOse
November 18th, 2003, 02:42 PM
add more charcoal and more KNO3 and you will have black powder. YOU do the math.

Bert
November 18th, 2003, 02:50 PM
For analyzing black powder type compositions, the procedure is:

1. Remove all the nitrate by dissolving with hot water

2. Remove all the Sulfur by dissolving with Carbon disulphide.

3. You've got the charcoal left over.

For actual re-use, your best bet would be to remove the nitrate as it is easy and the solvent (water!) is cheap. The remaining charcoal/Sulfur mix can be used in other mixes calling for both ingredients- just add extra Sulfur or charcoal to bring it to the correct ratio if nescessary.

Carbon disulphide is too expensive and flammable for it to be worth while to extract the Sulfur.

T_Pyro
November 19th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Sulfur also dissolves in carbon tetrachloride, you could use that instead of carbon disulfide if it's any cheaper...

blindreeper
November 19th, 2003, 03:37 AM
I don't think he's around to see these replies :P But he could have jsut tried another hardware store :rolleyes:

Wild Catmage
November 21st, 2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by kano420
ya i was reading in my all purpose explosives manual (**cough** Anarchist's Crapbook **cough** :D) the other day

Originally posted by kano420
anyways time pased and i used up almost all the cannon fuse on various expirements and all i have left is a plastic bag full of a mixture that is similar to black powder but doesn't ignite for shit. -Kano

What?! :eek:
If the mole smokes came supplied with cannon fuse, there were therefore designed to be ignited by cannon fuse, and therefore should "ignite for shit".

Had you read your all purpose gardening manual in addition to your all purpose explosives manual, you would know that sulphur is used as a fungicide for gardening purposes.

terminator
November 21st, 2003, 09:34 PM
a lot of those fungicides out there don't use sulfur anymore
P.S. will sulfur disolve in tetrahydozoline HCL?

Mumble
November 22nd, 2003, 01:45 AM
You could always try to subliminate it out. You're product will be pretty acidic though. I'd highly recomend not using it in anything with a chlorate or permanganate. This goes always, but expecially this time. There will be SO<sub>2</sub> trapped in the sulfur crystals. You may also generate some CS<sub>2</sub> in the process. I don't know the temperature for this reaction, but theres a chance some may form.