View Full Version : urea as a substiute?

nanok66
November 18th, 2003, 05:56 PM
I have found that pure ammonium nitrate is very hard to find, for me urea (CH4N2O I think) can be obtained much more easily. Is it possible to substitute urea for use in anfo type explosives?

Or is there a way to convert urea into an ammonium nitrate substitute?

knowledgehungry
November 18th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Wow this is the first good post a newbie has made in a long time... Oh wait no... no its not at all, urea as a substitute for NH4NO3??? Just because they're both fertilizers doesn't mean they're both explosives:rolleyes:. Who ever said there is no such thing as a stupid question should be shot.

Al Koholic
November 19th, 2003, 12:08 AM
I suppose it couldn't hurt to mention that he could make some urea nitrate if he has some nitric acid....oh wait....if you can't get AN, I suppose it isn't worth the time anyway...

I just had to add...c'mon dude...if you reeeeeeaaaaaaly wanted to find some AN you could without that much effort. Why should urea be easier to obtain? Cold paks...

jimmyboy
November 19th, 2003, 01:07 AM
he is right though - ammon nitrate is alot harder to find these days -- urea definitely cannot substitute.. the only thing i know urea is good for is maybe a cyanide synth

blindreeper
November 19th, 2003, 03:40 AM
That is the stupidest thing I have heard all week. Can I substitue urea for ammonium nitrate :rolleyes: Thats like saying can I substitute KCl for KClO4 in flash cause they both have potassium and chlorine in them. I can't see him/her around ehre to much longer

zeocrash
November 19th, 2003, 04:46 AM
you could substitute urea for AN, it would be utterly useless. but still while we're on the topic, chech out this (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1499) awesome explosive
i really want to use the forum flame form, but i'm not sure if this guy merits a use.

Anthony
November 19th, 2003, 03:15 PM
HED...:rolleyes: