View Full Version : Reliable improvised fuse - Howto

Macgyver
November 19th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Here's my idea of how to make a reliable improvised fuse if the real thing is hard to get or unavailable to you.

You need the following things to start with:

1. Black powder
2. Silk paper
3. Glue stick
4. Sewing thread or thin copper wire.

Cut the silk paper to about 5 cm width, and the length depends on how long fuse you wish to make.

Make a fold approximately 1.5 cm from the edge along the silk paper, and then use the glue stick all over the surface of the silk paper.

Fill the fold with a line of black powder all along the way of the fuse, and then close the fold over the black powder and run you fingers along the edge to make sure the glue stick together.

Run the glue stick over the silk paper again, and then start wrapping the fuse so that you get the rest of the silk paper wrapped around the fold.

Now secure the fuse with sewing thread or thing copper wire wrapped along it's full length to make sure it stays together.

This usually works great for me when I for one reason or another doesn't have access to proper factory made fuse.

(Moderators: If you feel this post is serious enough, feel free to move it to Pyrotechnics section).

Bert
November 19th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Kind of a variant on chinese tissue paper fuse. Did you do a search on "fuse"? There's a couple of threads allready you could perhaps have added your method to-

Macgyver
November 19th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Bert
Kind of a variant on chinese tissue paper fuse. Did you do a search on "fuse"? There's a couple of threads allready you could perhaps have added your method to-

Thats why I posted it in the water cooler.

I was unsure whether it qualified as a new thread in the pyro section or not...

grandyOse
November 19th, 2003, 08:58 PM
I took a 7 inch long blade of DRY grass (phylaris, aamof) and soaked it in KNO3 solution. when dried out it made quite a good fuse. burned past an obstruction, but did not try it in a tight constriction, as may be found in fireworks. where it crossed itself, it ignited, so you could easily combine multiple blades. burned at a consistant rate, without hesitations, also.