View Full Version : Whats it to be sir?

arm
November 20th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Ok, we've had favourite movie so how about favourite drink (hint: im not talking about afternoon tea on the lawn here). Believe it or not you can tell a lot about a bloke from what he puts back, (i havent got a fucking clue what though).

Personally im a bit of an 'Ye olde Ale' man my myself and as i type i have a bottle (or two) of 'Golden Glory' in my hand (which probably goes some way to explaining the pointlessness of this thread). I'm also a bit partial to single malt whisky.

So gents, its pick your poison time. Some of you are probably under drinking age, but hey, that never stopped me!

zeocrash
November 20th, 2003, 06:12 PM
hmm my favourite beers have to be corona extra or sol.
apart from that tequilla (+worm) or double vodka and coke are what i drink.
personally i prefer weed to alcohol, which is a shame because weed is much more expensive than alcohol

mongo blongo
November 20th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Me? Well I will drink anything if it means staying sober if I don't!

Tuatara
November 20th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Good quality wine. Especially Reisling, and Cabernet/Merlot. Also partial to a fine old tawny port. Non-alcoholic : the Latte brewed at my favourite cafe (Odeon, on Mt Eden Rd for you Aucklanders out there)

irish
November 20th, 2003, 08:14 PM
I drink mostly Bundy rum, I prefer the better brands but object to paying $80 for a bottle of distilled suger cane ;) . I also drink beer in every way it comes (prefer Australian and Irish beers though).

knowledgehungry
November 20th, 2003, 10:42 PM
I don't like hard liquor much, Apricot Brandy is good though. I'm much more of a beer man, Pabst Blue Ribbon;)

grandyOse
November 21st, 2003, 12:46 AM
Used to like ales and stouts from the british isles, ice cold vodka, and columbian coffee brewed in all possible ways. My stomach and psyche say, "no more" so it's mountain dew all the way. I envy you younger guys in some ways, but let me warn ya; the slower you take it now, the longer you'll be able to enjoy it. And, yeah, some of you will be old some day.

chokingvictim78
November 21st, 2003, 02:01 AM
I must say, I'm a beer man myself (plus, being underaged, its the easiest thing to get). As for hard liquor, good imported tequila does me fine. I once tried tequila and Dr. Pepper, as opposed to a whisky/coke on ice, which was suprisingly good (although, I was drunk at that point, so anything was good). I've always wanted to try some absynthe (sp?) though...anyone ever had it?

Edit: I found a good article on the Modern Drunkard, if anyone is interested. Even lists a website to get good quality absinthe. Apparently, it is legal to own and consume it, but illegal to brew/sell it. If only I had a credit card and some extra cash. $80 for a bottle of original recipe :mad:. Perhaps in the college days. I have to give up the sweet inebriating nectar for a while anyways, got caught with an obcenely large bottle of imported tequila.

scarletmanuka
November 21st, 2003, 02:18 AM
I thimk zeocrash might be in the wrong country. Around here some people pretty much give weed away. But apart from that, Coronas are the way to go.

xyz
November 21st, 2003, 03:27 AM
chokingvictim, I have heard of absynthe (sp?) but I would have no idea where you would get some, there was an article in the NewScientist magazine a few years ago where they discussed it, and that is where I heard of it.

Anath
November 21st, 2003, 03:29 AM
Hmm,

Victoria Bitter (VB) or Melbourne Bitter, usually with dinner., Vodka & Orange (usually cheap lemon russki's or stoli's) when going out. I think most wine drinkers are pretentious wankers ;) ..

zeocrash
November 21st, 2003, 04:28 AM
absynthe is great stuff, it's brewed in wormwood flasks/containers so it's mildly hallucinogenic. despite it's high alcohol content though it's increadibly mild on the throat. but this may be because you burn some of the alcahol off. decent absynthe(~70% IIRC) comes from eastern europe. pussy absynthe (~40%) should be available anywhere
for the record absynthe is another of my favourite drinks, but it's a bit rare to drink regularly

metafractal
November 21st, 2003, 05:17 AM
Aaah.. Absinthe. I was lucky enough to obtain a bottle of high quality absinthe, (form Eastern Europe, Prague to be specific.) That stuff is pure magic. The thujone (hallucinagenic wormwood alkaloid) had a profound and incredible effect on me, to the extent that I went and got my hands on some thujone so I could have it in its pure form. Treat Absinthe with respect, but I highly reccomend it (just dont waste your time on any of the cheap or homemade stuff.) Check out Erowid's Absinthe vault (http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/absinthe/) for more info.

Anyway, thats about the only alcohol I would touch. I most certainly dont drink for 'fun' (shudder). If one day I find a desire to become drunk, being of the practical nature that I am, I wouldn't bother with all these silly overpriced alcoholic drinks. Reagent grade ethanol gets the job done much better :D.

bobo
November 21st, 2003, 07:41 AM
For what it's worth, I came across absinthe in a portuguese supermarket a year or 5 back. I think this stuff is illegal in the Netherlands because it is a drug (go figure:rolleyes: ).

Anyway, I don't like wasting money on overtaxed drinks and brew some mead and beer myself. I'd like to distill some moonshine too but the last time it tasted like dough. In the bar it is belgian beer definitely.

VX
November 21st, 2003, 08:25 AM
A the moment I prefer to drink alcopops, such as smirnoff ice, reef etc, alternating with shots of vodka/ absinth (72%)/ JD/ southern comfort/ tequila and towards the end of the evening random coctails of any/ all the obove are often consumed!

I know a bar which is for students, run by students, so alcohol is sold VERY cheap (80p for most shots, Ģ1 bottles), which is how I can afford to do drink so much. Ahhh, student life ;)

knowledgehungry
November 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM
AlcoPops:confused: What are you a woman? What next? Wine coolers:rolleyes:. Grow some balls and take your poison like a man;).

VX
November 21st, 2003, 08:43 AM
Ha ha, I was expecting some abuse for that to be honest. stella's good too!
And despite giving absinth to several women (when working on a bar), I don't know of any who would try it twice.:D

arm
November 21st, 2003, 09:36 AM
Ahhh, good old stella or as its often otherwise known 'wife beater'. :D

I must say in terms of drinking habits, i dont usually get wasted very often, im usually drinking for the taste, for its cool refreshing effect (ie beer) or just to enjoy a pint or six with the lads. Every now and then though a memorable slash-up is required.

Tuatara
November 22nd, 2003, 03:58 AM
Want to try absinthe? Make your own.
Rodney Valdez's Home Brew page (http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/6670/index.htm)

I've made wine from peaches (damn fine one that!), plums, boysenberries, pears. Also made a Methode Champagnoir from pears - it was rather good after 3years! Also got a berry port on the way - 1 year down, 1 year to go and its already showing great promise. Home brew is very easy, and great fun. And cheap too.

Efraim_barkbit
November 22nd, 2003, 05:36 AM
Half a liter moonshine is the way to go... and the ― liter coke bottle fits perfectly in my pocket, so I donīt have to carry a backpack either:D (self imported Vodka can doo too)
~25$/liter of 40%alcohol in taxes is a bit heavy for me, and I have to bee 20 years to legaly buy it(wich I am not), and only in special stores, because the state has a monopoly to sell it.
The only thing that can legally be bought outside those stores, is beer up to 3,5%, wich is sold in regular shops, to a tremendeous overprice, if you are eighteen.
Thats OK, if you are rich, and want to drink six liters of it to get anywhere near drunk...
When I drink beer, I usually drink danish, becaus they make it so much better than we.
Whine is for pussies, if itīs not homemade of course... sometimes I can take a glass for dinner, but much rather a beer.
Those alcopops is very good too, downside is price (over 2,5$/bottle), and "pussy" written all over your forehead... I can just as well mix moonshine with an excess of any soft drink.

Almost forgot, Ouzo, the greek national spirit, that is among the goodest I know.

arm
November 22nd, 2003, 07:00 AM
I guess you have to be a little older to appreciate the finer spirits. And there are obviously some things in life you have to learn how to appreciate.

Wine is for pussy's, lol. So, say (for example), if im a Blackbelt in karate but I do enjoy a good bottle of 25yr old 'Chateau De Malle' then automatically I become a total pussy assed biatch.

Personally I prefer Australian wines and others from the less than usual wine producing countries (Hungary, South America's). Its just a snob-nosed myth that the best wines come from France, i find french wines harsh (the're probably attempting to 'retreat' back to the bottle :D). I also tend to prefer reds to whites (more body and flavour).

<end wine commentary>

Anthony
November 22nd, 2003, 09:07 AM
Fosters or Kronenberg for me when out, or Miller Genuine Draft if they have it. Reefs are alright when they're on offer, you get two or three and and empty pint glass and throw them in. Blue Curacao is also pretty good. I can no longer drink vodka after I got alcohol poisoning many years back, I've developed a gag reflex to the taste or smell.

I haven't been proper pissed for quite a while, mostly because I drive when I go out now and also because I don't want to be hung over for work the next day. I more enjoy the flavours and the conversation now.

Plus, when you're in your mid-teens you can get totally hammered and not feel a thing then next day. Enjoy it while your metabolism is in over-drive and it lasts, it's not so fun when you *know* you're going to suffer for it the next day.

knowledgehungry
November 22nd, 2003, 10:05 AM
I have actually always found MGD to be somewhat awful, oh well to each his own. Wine is NOT for pussys, it is for people with money. Wine is only worth drinking if it's high quality, not wine in a box.

Anthony
November 22nd, 2003, 02:22 PM
I'm certainly no wine connoisseur, but even I have always insisted that fine-anything does not come in a cardboard box...

On the contrary, I find MGD to be the only decent drink to come out of America (not that the stuff we get is brewed in the US). Budwiser I find to taste too "chemically" for my taste, much like Stella.

I'm sure Arkangel will be along soon too support the cause that is Guiness :)

knowledgehungry
November 22nd, 2003, 02:54 PM
All of the "big" american beers are horrendous, MGD, Coors, Budweiser. But hey it doesnt matter what beer you drink if your English because all warm beer tastes like shite! ;)

Ollie Snowie
November 22nd, 2003, 03:28 PM
I'm VERY underage so you'll laugh at this:-
I like to drink a teaspoon of any wine diluted 1:1 by volume with water and saturated with sugar with a meal. An Italian relative got quite upset about me doing this; it's not "proper", but they ought to try it! Go on! Admit that you're not the world's most sensitive taste bud! - Coming from me who once speculated making "artificial" wine from 100% ethanol+water+various esters. You're going to tell me that I could have used less concentrated ethanol, aren't you? :D

arm
November 22nd, 2003, 04:08 PM
What the hell is all this nonsense about British beer being warm? I dont think ive ever had a warm pint from the pub yet (and ive had quite a few).

Personally im not really a larger man, i find largers all fizz and no taste. Thats why i prefer the Ales - plenty of hoppy goodness in there. Stouts are all good too, infact, the're meals in themselves. Two pints of Guiness and you need to take a shit. :p

ronald
November 22nd, 2003, 04:50 PM
For getting drunk cheap and easy : cheap vodka + something to eat/drink on it. Have tried weed several times and didnt like it, gets me paranoid. Ive never had the luxory of drinking tequila or absint. Local beer(as ive heard Saku Rock and Originaal are available even in an avarage US supermarker) is good for thirst, but getting drunk with beer is not a good idea. Makes me sleepy and my stomach starts to hurt :( Cheapass wines or sweet liquors(55% vol) is good for the job too.

Jhonbus
November 22nd, 2003, 08:48 PM
Ahh booze.

When I'm out I like to drink a nice dry cider such as Strongbow. Or sometimes I'll drink lager if I get sick of that. My favourite beer has to be Hoegaarden but it's kind of expensive and not many places sell it. Whisky's my favourite spirit - scotch if I'm going to drink it with coke but Irish (bourbon) if it's neat. As for vodka, it can vary. Smirnoff (what most people seem to drink) is disgusting and the smell of it makes me feel sick, but Absolut is delicious and tasty. Alcohol's a poor drug though. If you like the lack of coordination, try ketamine. When you take this it feels like *someone else* is getting drunk and staggering around. Ever watch Being John Malkovich? :)

Waiter! I'll take a beer, and a roofie colada for my date.

Anthony
November 23rd, 2003, 09:29 AM
Arm, I'm pretty sure it's because only largers run through a chiller? Whilst ales, stouts etc just come straight from the barrel in a cool cellar.

A guy at work claims that roofie's don't work, he spiked a drink, drank it, sat there and nothing happened all night :)

Jhonbus
November 23rd, 2003, 09:36 AM
Your friend must be doing something wrong, because combining alcohol and benzos *will* floor you!

arm
November 23rd, 2003, 10:40 AM
Nah Anthony, you'll find that the best beers are typically the Ales/stouts/bitters which tend to be brewed by the smaller local breweries (which sadly seem to be quite rare now). Most of the largers are just pumped out by the gallon from huge factories.

Your'e right though, they do chill some largers and i dont think theres really a good reason to. A cool cellar is good enough. It has been proved that human taste buds work better at higher temperatures and indeed, sweet foods loose a lot of their sweetness when cooled.

Maybe its just me but I find all the premium largers to be quite 'thin' without really any unique flavour. My favourite beer 'Golden Glory' is actually scented with peach flowers. It seems kind of odd but its bloody lovely. Theres another beer (i cant remember which) which is flavoured with eldarflower.

Its all a matter of personal taste really.

EDIT : Fucking typo's

Mumble
November 24th, 2003, 01:44 AM
I personally believe that the beer is different in different locations. A beer in LA, is just not the same as if you lived in Milwaukee or somewhere else in the midwest. I've heard about the major brewers giving the "best" beer to the region they live. Kind of a hometown advantage type of thing. I don't know if I really believe this, but I suppose the beer would be fresher the closer you lived. It's hard to test this with imported beer, as it all comes in at nearly the same time. Also not being of legal age is a bit of an inhibitor as well.

I will take many things, but I still have to draw the limit. We have this drink called UV blue. Basically is 60 proof Rasberry Vodka. It's tolerable for a while, but I can no longer smell the stuff without fear of vomiting. A few to many bad blurred memories.

Stormhelm
November 24th, 2003, 09:34 AM
A favorite of mine is Jack Daniel's and Cola. Also very fond of White Russians (Kahlua+vodka+milk). Beer is always good. Been making my own wine too, for a couple of years now.. Have approx. 40 liters of various kinds in storage.

But my absolute favorite, is high quality grape spirit (96%, 192 proof) from Spain. Ultra pure stuff - no headaches :)

Anthony
November 24th, 2003, 02:09 PM
A variation in taste between the same beer from different areas might be due to the water used to brew it. This is certainly true from country to country. Considering the size of the US, many brands may well have several brewerys to make distribution easier.

I do agree that Guiness is more of a meal than a drink.

I personally prefer the refreshment of a cold lager, but then I've got plenty of years left to develop a more sophisticated palette :)

Jacks Complete
November 24th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Anthony,

Are these singing potatoes nothing to do with Pocheen then?

I have to stand up for the cider drinkers, and say Strongbow (when it hasn't been sat in the pipes all day) is superb. I am also partial to Smirnoff Ice, which is about the only vodka I can drink these days. I too feel rather ill if I drink any, after downing a litre of Blue at Uni... I was drunk for three days. Looking back, I can't believe I didn't die... Total for that night worked it out to being about 80 units!

Hell, it was so nasty, I had to drink four liters of Strongbow to work up to it!

Then there was the time I was so thirsty in the night that I drank a tin of peaches in syrup from the can... Not alcohol, but god... what an awful drink, and damned stupid too. I used to love the things, but to this day, my stomach churns! :eek: