View Full Version : IRC Channel

peterthesmart
November 22nd, 2003, 11:16 PM
This thread is for anyone who would like to help with possibly making a Forum IRC channel. I would be happy to make a possibility, but I would like to know how many people here are willing to help. A channel would allow us to share files and have numerous servers as well as just chat. This would reduce the effect of a single server going down and spread information faster. I don't know have a clear idea of what I will do next, but I look forward to your imput into making this happen.
Edit: Most of us will probably use a proxy server to connect, most IRC servers forbid this. I could try to find a server that does allow them. Also masking IP addresses would be another step we could all take, although I'm not sure how to do it, I think its something like mode +x.

frogfot
November 23rd, 2003, 04:32 AM
There was similar irc suggestion before that was rejected, but when you put it this way, sounds promicing. This way, on serverdown we can still feel presence of all members.. we could play HL2 (when I by it) :D

Nihilist
November 23rd, 2003, 04:44 AM
sounds like a good idea to me, however the anonymity issue will be a problem for some. It would certainly be interesting to get to know some of the people here on an "IRC level" which is slightly more personal than forums.

ronald
November 23rd, 2003, 05:04 AM
Lets just create a channel for example #explosives in EFnet, those who want to, will join. It doesnt have to be an official The Explosives and Weapons Forum channel.

Lil_Guppy
November 23rd, 2003, 06:21 AM
If you ran your own server, you could even put a password on the channel to access it. It would be pretty pointless putting a password on say a DALnet channel, as all the authorities have to do is ask for the password from the server admin. However, an idea I have suggested before, is to script an addon and a DLL or two for mIRC which encrypts all outgoing messages, and decrypts all incoming.

I to like the idea of being able to chat to a person (or people) at a messenger level :)

Jacks Complete
November 23rd, 2003, 01:58 PM
Damn, that's a good idea!

Can you write/have you got an IRC script that can do that? Everything would have to be passed via a bot, or you would get lots of gibberish between actual lines you could read. It could perhaps be done using the colour coding, or something, or perhaps with a DCC to the bot? You type in one window, and see all the stuff in the main window... I don't really know know IRC these days... Was a leet hacker some years back, before all the bots became commonplace...

What we want is some sort of anonymous P2P software, which we can bounce of a server/s somewhere, so our IPs are hidden from one another. I read somewhere that the FTP was going to be encrypted, but I don't know if that ever happened, either.

I don't know for sure, but the Mods here get to see our IP addys, (or it might just be Mega) and we could all be tracked down from them. I just hope the server is somewhere where the people who physically own it aren't likely to get a 4 o'clock knock!

I don't do much of the stuff we talk about on here anymore, as I have too much to lose, though I am still fascinated by it. Circumstances and the law just don't allow! Being able to chat about old times, though... :D

peterthesmart
November 23rd, 2003, 02:10 PM
I have not been able to find the combination of services that I would like yet. Austnet masks your IP but doesnt have ssl. Suidnet has ssl, but can't mask your IP and also has an admin who is part of the NSA and echelon. Currently I'm looking at using Stuntour (http://www.bovine.net/~jlawson/coding/stuntour/) for ssl (encryption). Most IRC servers I believe allow proxies that are properly configured and will scan for them. Not properly configuring a proxy can cause unauthorized users to gain access and pretend to be you.

Update: I have set up a channel on blargh.fl.us.xnet.org called #TheForum. Currently I need Ops to help out since I can't possibly be here all the time. If you are interested, send me an Email. If anyone needs help with IRC, feel free to ask me. I've yet to decide what else this channel will offer, but to start, download Mirc (http://www.mirc.com) and join us.

Rhadon
November 23rd, 2003, 02:19 PM
I read somewhere that the FTP was going to be encrypted, but I don't know if that ever happened, either. Ctrl_C enabled SSL on his FTP, but I don't know if chemwarrior does so.

GibboNet
November 29th, 2003, 04:19 AM
I made it into the channel after fighting mIRC to let me opena new server window for about 10 minutes, but no one seems to want the channel much, there's no one about.

I'll hang around for a while, unless someone is going to be online a lot, I may even become a regular. I'll take ops if they're being handed out, and I'd be happy to stay present whenever I have the time.

I have 15 people from here that I talk to in MSN anyway, I'll advise them to stop bothering me from there if this channel goes ahead.

I personally don't think it's neccesary, nor a good idea for a chat room for many reasons, but I'm willing to give it a go. I have IRC open all day anyway... :rolleyes:

xyz
November 29th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Gibbonet, email me, I talk to people from here on MSN but I don't have your address.

frogfot
November 29th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Been on #TheForum on blargh.fl.us.xnet.org.. but there are always noone..

xyz
November 29th, 2003, 08:32 PM
That is because the Australians are all asleep when you are on, there's usually several of us online during the day in Australia...