View Full Version : EOD Career

rp3o8
November 23rd, 2003, 02:13 PM
I’ve noticed there are a few EOD techs here (Cyclonite, cameroneod?) and was wondering if they had any tips or info on becoming an EOD tech in the US military. I’ve been thinking about the Navy, but after speaking to a recruiter it sounds like its pretty tough to get in, from what I understand they treat it a lot like the SEALs.

I would love to hear your opinions before I make a decision; like what’s EOD school like? Does having prior knowledge of explosives help any? I’ve heard the wash out rate is pretty high, so I want to be as mentally prepared as possible.

Bert
November 23rd, 2003, 03:32 PM
Dude, realize this: The military will sort of "promise" to steer you into your desired specialty to get you to sign up. After you've signed your life away, they will do with you what they damn well see fit. And ask some of the EOD people just what the job really entails- It may not be quite what you're thinking.

Arkangel
November 23rd, 2003, 07:19 PM
'Aint that the truth!

"you wanna be a pilot? Sure kid, no problem. There are no vacancies at the moment, but if you join now as a cook, we'll guarantee to let you retrain in a year":rolleyes:

The US navy UDT guys, as you've suggested are trained to a hell of a high standard, same in the British Royal Navy. But if you're thinking of joining the military, you shouldn't be going in with any other attitude than being the best you can - and that takes a shitload of effort.

Can't give you any specific advice regarding the US military though I'm afraid It seems over here most EOD guys come in as engineers, both in the army and airforce - Royal Engineers/Armaments tech

Any comments from Celtick?

MrLubricant
November 25th, 2003, 08:07 PM
im planning on being an EOD in the USAF. there job is mostly removing faulty ordnance from aircrafts, and also taking care of problems in the local comunity. i got to job shadow at whiteman AFB and the guys out there where realy cool. they let me fool around with there robot and showed me there room full of mock explosives. everything from forien to IEDs. they said it wasnt easy and i forget if the training course was 9 weeks or 9 months but im pretty sure it was 9 somethin. and they said that the training facility was used to train all branches. just take the ASVAB as often as possible and check your results with the military carrears(sp) book in your schools library. i was off the last time i took it by a few points but im ready for the next one i get. hopefully anyway. hope i was helpfull.

rp3o8
November 26th, 2003, 12:07 PM
How did you setup the job shadow? I live within a few hours of Fort Campbell and the Redstone Arsenal, so I might try to visit them sometime.

The first time I took the ASVAB I scored in the 81 percentile, which I think should qualify for EOD (I don’t remember any specific raw scores). I believe the minimum for Navy EOD is AR+VE=110, MC=50.

From http://www.uxoinfo.com ....
The training is done at Eglin AFB in two phases,

Phase I is 10 weeks and covers, chemical weapons/agent procedures, explosive ordnance identification and hazards, EOD tools and equipment, basic demolition tools and equipment, EOD reconnaissance, locating surface and buried explosive ordnance.

Phase II is 17 weeks long and goes into detail with ground ordnance, air ordnance, IEDs, and nuclear weapons.

Bert
November 26th, 2003, 12:30 PM
mr lubricant-

EOD requires a near perfect attention to details. Failure or forgetfulness in one small step may result in your death and/or considerable other destruction. Start developing good habits now. Go back to your post and wire it TIGHT.

Arkangel
November 26th, 2003, 06:42 PM
i forget if the training course was 9 weeks or 9 months but im pretty sure it was 9 somethin :rolleyes:

If ever I saw an advert for someone not to get involved in Pyro/EOD then that is it.

It said something about sulphur - I must have it or I mustn't have it, but I know it had sulphur in it:(

If you actually WANT to be EOD instead of wannabe, then you'd better start putting some work in now. As Bert says, "attention to detail", and how about you start on your English. I know this is the watercooler, but you'd better start writing properly before you post anywhere else

MrLubricant
November 29th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the advice Arkangel. The reason i was a little spotty on detail is because the event took place nearly two years ago. Though on normal circumstances that would in no way affect my memory my pre planned job shadow seemed to coincide perfectly with my getting bronchitus. So i was forced to take a plethora of OTC and prescription medicines before my step mother would allow me out of the house. I was almost prevented from going entirely. I only got to spend about an hour and a half there because my recruiter made me run around with him. Oh thats how i managed to arrange the shadow by the way. Just make sure the recruiter doesnt make you shadow him instead of the EODs or you will be forced to spend the majority of the day with him trying to persuade young men and women to see the benifits of military life. I did my last post at about 3:00 AM so im sure it was quite spotty. I understand this is no excuse but we all have our moments dont we?

Mmanwitgun88
December 5th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Don't go EOD, I hear theres alot of fudge packers and PC assholes in there. If you want to mess with explosives and learn how to use them in a combat situation ask to become a 12 Bravo aka Combat Engineer.
~Dave

rp3o8
December 6th, 2003, 11:24 AM
The only training in explosives you get, as an Army Combat Engineer, is how to insert the det. and where to put the charge. Also, I really doubt there are many, if any, queers that would choose EOD as a career.

I was hoping to get a reply from one of the EOD techs, but it looks like neither have been online for several weeks now.

cameroneod
January 28th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Its a great career. The school averages out to about a year for most entrants. Nine months is the minimum. Stateside its not too exciting. Mostly Secret Service, pipe bombs, and demolition work. On the other hand, if you can get overseas DO IT. Thats where you'll run into the classified missions, MIA/POW recovery, etc. Regardless of what you decide if your going to join the military go EOD. Its true that 90% of all applicants fail, but its definately worth the risk. Youll never look back.

tom haggen
January 29th, 2004, 08:31 PM
rp3o8, Combat Engineering envolves a lot of education in the sructual field. You need to know a lot about structual integrity if you are going to properly demolish a bridge with explosives. Though Combat Engineering doesn't directly envolve explosives, their expertise is needed when placing charges on a bridge or what have you. There is a hell of a lot more to combat engineering than just learning on how to insert a detonator. cameroned, your funny man, you say that its not that exciting to do E.O.D. work state side. Demolition work sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to me.

rp3o8
January 29th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Cameroneod, is there a particular branch you would recommend? I have been thinking about either Navy or Air Force. I’m still not sure though, I’ve recently been considering other opportunities with college.

Cyclonite
January 30th, 2004, 10:49 AM
EOD is the best job in the military if you dont mind the work, if you cant hack it you wont make it through. 12B are quite the opposite of an EOD tech, its an insult to relate the 2. Its just infantry with dynamite. Im in the Army, if you want to go navy EOD its quite a bit harder, theres dive school first and then after ever other branch graduates you still have to go through underwater demo and area 8 which I hear are the most challenging of all. Iv never studied so much in my life. The requirements for army arent all that high, well maybe compared to most of the dumbshits in the army it is.The requirements are you cant be color blind, you have to have an ASVAB score of 50, and your GM line score must be 110 or 115 I forget. I would go air force unless you really want more of a "SEAL" type job. If you have any questions id be happy to answer.
If you want college money the army pays well, but I would have rather gone AF.

Arkangel
January 30th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Cyclonite, any word on what happened to your guys in Afghanistan?:(

I'm assuming they were grunts checking out a stash that was boobytrapped, rather than EOD's, who tend to be a lot more cluey about stuff like that.

Cyclonite
February 2nd, 2004, 10:17 AM
From what I know the munitions were being handled with close to no care at all and Murphy decided to apply his law.