View Full Version : Any Brits Here ? ( special request )

Rosco Bodine
November 24th, 2003, 08:48 AM
There are two azide patents which seem to be a dead end on the patent servers. I wish that anyone having access to a hard copy archives of British patents would get and scan and post copies of GB128014 and GB129152. PDF's would be great .

note to moderator : I first posted this help request in Links and Literature ,
only a few minutes ago , but thought I should also post here to the attn. of British citizens
so that the request would more likely be noticed . Hopefully this is a tolerable
strategy for a newbie , given the interesting nature of the patent information requested .

Rhadon
November 24th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Crossposting is not allowed here, so I deleted your request in Links and Literature. Why didn't you tell us what the patents are about?

Rosco Bodine
November 24th, 2003, 09:32 AM
The abstracts for the patents are available at ESPACENET
but the full texts won't display .

The patents describe simplified direct methods for producing azides from
reaction of hydrazine sulfate solutions with metal nitrites , which
is a theoretical route which works well enough on paper ,
but has never produced the desired product in any actual experiments
which I have ever done . Nothing in the way of specified conditions
for the reaction has ever been otherwise published , so those two patents
are especially significant .

ABSTRACTS pasted below :

GB128014

Salts of hydrazine are diazotized by means of a suitable nitrite, without the use of ethyl benzoate or the like, the reaction mass being kept on the border line between acidity and alkalinity. For example, hydrazine sulphate is treated with sodium nitrite; the sodium azide produced, without being separated, may be caused to react with silver nitrate for the production of silver azide. When lead azide is to be prepared, hydrazine nitrate may be used in place of the sulphate.

GB129152

An insoluble azide is produced by diazotizing a hydrazine salt in practically neutral solution and in presence of a salt, such as silver nitrate, adapted to produce the insoluble azide. The azide is then treated with a solution of a salt such as sodium chloride to obtain the desired azide and an insoluble silver salt. From the sodium azide, other azides such as lead azide may be obtained by double decomposition in the known manner.

Rosco Bodine
November 24th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Rhadon ,

Sorry for any unintended infraction . I was hopeful that because of the
potential significance of these two "missing" azide patents that crossposting
may be tolerable usage of bandwidth , and may even be worthy of being
made a "sticky" topic in Links and Literature . If these patents describe
valid synthetic routes to azides , it would greatly simplify the production
of azides from OTC materials . The only similar synthesis I have seen
reported is a brief mention in COPAE concerning silver azide . In another
source I can't recall , there was a mention of using sodium metabisulfite
as the buffering agent in nitrosations of this sort . I have tried sodium acetate
and sodium bicarbonate as a buffer , but no joy , even in experiments to produce
copper azide by such a direct method . Similar failure occurred for attempts to produce
lead azide by this simplified method . The silver compound has not been
attempted . Any attempts at this route of synthesis by anyone else ?