View Full Version : SImple HV transformer for NItric acid production

Chemical_burn
November 29th, 2003, 02:55 AM
ok anyway I happened across this today searing for simple flyback transformers for use in making a jacob's ladder and this page was exactly what I needed. Myself having little knowlege in electronics found this page greatly helpful and simple to understand and work with.

Also I have two old CTR monitors that can be sacraficed for this cause.

Out of curiousity could any one tell me approximitly how many watts a device like this would use to opperate because before I try it out for extended periods of time. I want to have an Idea of how big my electric bill will be :D Dont want to try this and end up with a 3 times higher electric bill that before :eek: ;)

Also I am posting it here because I do not feel this merits being posted in the already existing Electric Arc for Nitric acid production in the nitric acid section.

xyz
November 29th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Just get a microwave oven transformer, they are ready to go and put plenty of power out for a nice hot arc.

Nevermore
November 29th, 2003, 10:29 AM
NO
a MOT will overheat in a couple of minutes and then die in a triumph of sparkles if you keep the arc on.
You need high voltage not high current, try with neon transformer, or oil burner.

frogfot
November 29th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Nevermore, can't current in an arc be regulated??
One MOT i got can give 0,85A at 2100V continiuosly (if chilled by a fan) though I've never tested it..

nuclearattack
November 29th, 2003, 12:10 PM
hello

i am a member of an italian mailing list about HV devices so i'm just using this kind of devices.

you need a neon sign trasformer because is current limitesd by a magnetic shunt but also the CRC modified trasform will do a good work. It will not burn, i use to let it making beautiful sparks for long time and it works nice. The problem is that the HV metod is not very simple to use and it will not work well. i thought about this metod but i think that there are better metods to obtain nitric acid!

use solforic acid and dissolve in it ammonium nitrate or potassium nitrate, this metod has been expleined very well in roguesci. make a search and you will find good topics!

good work

nuclearattack

Chemical_burn
November 29th, 2003, 02:17 PM
I know that you can prolduce nitric acid with H2SO4 and a nitrate. I'm looking for a way to produce nitric acid in low consintration in large quanties then just distill to higher consintrations.

Also its more of doing it because its difficult and fun not because it easy. If I wanted easy \I would just buy my HNO3 but no thats no fun at all.

Tuatara
November 29th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Flyback trnasformers, while producing pretty sparks, don't really have the power throughput you need for nitric acid generation. If you re-read the nitric - by - arc thread you'll see that the arc is just a means to an end - that of heating air rapidly to several thousand C. Your flyback tranny, while capable of producing NO2, will do so very slowly as it is capable of very little power. MOT's are great if you want a high power arc, but you have the added complication of providing an inductive current limit, otherwise the low impedance presented by the arc will cause the MOT to overheat.

Neon sign transformers really are the simplest way to go. They are already current limited, so they can operate into an arc all day without trouble. My one is rated at 400VA, which is plenty of power for this application. Best of all, it simply plugs into the wall socket - no fancy drive circuit as with a flyback transfomer.