View Full Version : nitromethane explosive

nuclearattack
November 29th, 2003, 12:36 PM
i have just ordered 1 liter of nitromethane and i want to use it to do a powerfull explosive with the chemicals i have.

i think this stuff should work:

i put some polystirene in a jar and i mix it with some NM, when all polystirene is dissolved and the solution is more solid i mix it with activated powdered AN and alluminium powder.

i think this stuff will work well and the alluminum powder will increase the VoD and the termobaric effect. However i haven't indicated the amount of the chemicals but i will adjust the quantities not even i have all of them. if i have fortune i will have those chemicals in few days!

now i am thinking about the right detonator, i think that this kind of plastic explosive will not require a powerfull detonator, i'll do some tests!

hi

nuclearattack

p.s. this forum is fantastic!!

zeocrash
November 29th, 2003, 12:50 PM
why not just make some ANNM.
or if you can get your hands on some hydrazine you can make yourself some astrolite
Try making chloropicrin (it's not an explosive but who cares)
but you really shouldn't be asking us "what can i make with..." UTFSE or look in meglomania's CC lab, i found about 200 results on the forum search engine for nitromethane

nuclearattack
November 29th, 2003, 01:43 PM
unfortunatly hydrazine is too hard to get for me!

hydrazina is on my dreams but i'm not able to acquire it.

i'm not asking " what i can do..." i'm only reporting some of my experiments as everyone does here! I'll tell you if it will be a success and i hope someone will be interested to share his knowledge about this explosive stuff.

i'm making a search about making hydrazina on my own but i think it will be impossible or too hard with poor laboratory apparatus. However....

peripatetic
December 22nd, 2003, 01:52 PM
Your best bet is to mix 95% of Nitromethane with 5% of ethylenediamine, which makes an explosive known as PLX (Picatinny Liquid Explosive). This mixture is cap-sensitive and detonates at around 6200 m/s, with lead block expansion that is about 25% greater than TNT.

It was used in the USA for underground model explosions (“Pre-Gondola”), in preparation for the Nuclear Charge technique. Nitromethane was also employed in stimulation blasting in oil and gas wells. PLX has also been used to clean up mine fields.

I have used it as a primary explosive in improvised shaped charges, with useful penetration results into both concrete and steel. The relatively low detonation velocity (at least when talking about explosives used in shaped charges) means you must pay great attention to the optimum stand-off distance though, and also be sure to use very high-density metals for the cone.

Let's talk about scaling up! A shaped charge made from a half 55 gallon drum can blast a 10" - 12" diameter hole through several feet of reinforced concrete. Scaling up still further, by using an improvised shaped charge of some 50 inches diameter, one could blast a hole that is large enough for a human to crawl through. Clearly the results would be better by employing a 7000 - 8000 m/s liquid explosive, but PLX is one of the easiest and safest to prepare. I think that the brisance of PLX might be improved by the addition of aluminium powder, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

nuclearattack
December 25th, 2003, 09:22 AM
yes peripatetic i know what is PLX but i don't know where i can get ethylenediamine!

where do you take it?

--------------
You've got to work on your language! Make sure that your next posts look better.

Rhadon

tom haggen
January 5th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Can someone point me towards a thread that has the information on mixing ammonium nitrate nitromethane. I have been looking everywhere for ratios with no luck. theres lots of info on the subject but not very many people seem to talk about the ratios.

xyz
January 5th, 2004, 11:04 PM
There is no real set ratio, but normally about 25% to 30% NM is used. Just search in the high explosives section for ANNM and you will get plenty of info.

tom haggen
January 6th, 2004, 12:57 AM
I figured you could play around with the ratio. I just wanted to be in the right ball park. I did search around for info I promise. Anyway, xyz your tips have been very useful. I thank you very much.

wrench352
January 6th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Tom Haggen,you are another one who is a danger to himself and others.Instead of wasting our time and space with ALL your bullshit posts,you should searchout the answers for yourself.All other lazy people,listen up.Searching out the answers to your questions yourself is not a bad thing.You never know what you'll find in your quest.New procedures,new ideas,paradigm shifts,etc.Tom you must have been exposed to some of those chemical weapons around Umatilla,either that or you ate too many paint chips as a child.Either way, I'd go see a doctor.
I did search around for info I promise.
You are a liar or a retard!!
Within TWO minutes of searching I found this:(second thread I pulled up,and it was in the beginning of the thread!)
Ratios for the best mix are: Ammonium nitrate 1000g, Nitromethane 185g (162ml), Methanol 84g (106ml)
which was taken from the AN+ NM+ Methanol and Al - Archive File ,which was taken from the annm .pdf,which was taken from the u.s.pat.4,093,478.
You searched?How long?A min?Where?In your bathroom?
Before you start splittin hairs with me,be fore warned,you are beneath me and I will have my 7 year old son(who will outwit you I'm sure) respond in proxy.

blindreeper
January 6th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Before you start splittin hairs with me,be fore warned,you are beneath me
Whats with this getting all high and mighty because you have a whole 20 more posts than him? xyz may have serveral hundred more posts than me but do you see him telling me I am an idiot when I ask something a little on the amature side? Do you see anyone else doing that? Not often, if you do its from a mod and they have good reasons too. I don't think he was splitting hairs with you unless I havn't seen another thread which he has offended you with? The only other option I can think of is that you know each other from somewhere and this is some stupid personal thing, if it is this is NOT the place to be doing it.

Rhadon
January 6th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Probably Tom could indeed have searched a little harder, but let's be lenient and not waste energy into making this thread a flame war. After all, we're in the Water Cooler.

wrench352
January 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Not at all,I felt he would come back with the fact that I did not give him the specific answer he needed.I found it irritating that this was a thread on nitromenthane explosives other than ANNM,and that there is an abundance of info on ANNM outthere,he simply either didnt bother to look in the first place or never bothered to look outside the forum.And the quality of his posts generally suck,half of his posts are in the cooler,and another quarter are junk or requests for spoonfeedings,ie:
okay dokay
or
does anyone have any material safety data sheet on blah,blah,blah
Wow,what gems!
Im not high and mighty,but anyone who cant even find a friggin AMMN thread IS beneath me.The retard doesnt want to get his hands dirty.
Also my point which I guess was missed,is were talking about explosives here folks.Its not what you know that kills you,its what you dont know.There is reams of info on ANNM,its a fascinating subject.So do your reseach.
Blindreaper,I didnt mean to piss you off,but wouldnt you have rather seen a plx post?In doing research for this numbskull I actually found some ethylenediamine(which I can confirm) for $10 fucking dollars,and yes they'll sell to individuals.Pics and a full write up(in the plx thread) will hopefully be coming soon.I apologise if I overstepped my bounds,

edit:sorry Rhadon you posted while I was writing and researching my response,anyone who wants to chew on my ass for a bit,I can be found on the IRC late evenings EST

blindreeper
January 6th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Well then that is sorted out nicely. ethylenediamine, I don't believe I am fimiliar with this compound. What is the intended use? I assume some sort of sensatiser for NM due to the nature of your post about plx.

Bert
January 6th, 2004, 12:27 PM
blindreeper-
See the 4th post in this thread for ethylenediamine. You know, I'm relly getting interested in photo processing technology again- It's amazing how much fun my old hobby is... Especialy now that I'm making all my materials from scratch.

wrench352
January 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Well,lol,you got me there.This literally just fell into my lap this morning.You might also know this compound as 1,2-diaminoethane, dimethylenediamine, diaminoethane, 1,2-ethylenediamine, beta-aminoethylamine or 1,2-ethanediamine.Its molecular formula is C2H8N2.It seems kind of nasty.Harmful if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through the skin. May cause allergic reactions. May cause burns to the skin. Very destructive of mucous membranes.1,2-Diaminoethane (CAS No. 107-15-3), commonly known as ethylenediamine (EDA), is a synthetic colourless to yellowish liquid at normal temperature and pressure. It is strongly alkaline and is miscible with water and alcohol. The main use for EDA is as an intermediate in the manufacture of tetraacetyl ethylenediamine, ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA), organic flocculants, urea resins, and fatty bisamides. It is also used, to a much smaller extent, in the production of formulations for use in the printed circuit board and metal finishing industries, as an accelerator/curing agent in epoxy coatings/resins, and in the manufacture of pharmaceutical products. EDA is present as a contaminant (<0.5%) in commercially supplied fatty amines, which are used as wetting agents in bituminous emulsions. It is also used in the synthesis of carbamate fungicides, in surfactant and dye manufacture, and in photography development chemicals and cutting oils. EDA is a degradation product of ethylenebis(dithiocarbamate) fungicides.I got this from the World health Organization,more info can be found here:http://www.who.int/pcs/cicad/summaries/cicad_15.html
Apparently this can be found at some photographic chemical supplies.Mr.cool gives a synthesis in the Everyday chemicals in HE thread.Fun stuff check the FTP for an .PDF I'm trying to get for y'all "Studies on Energetic Compounds Part 27: Kinetics and Mechanism of Thermolysis of Bis(Ethylenediamine)Metal Nitrates and Their Role in the Burning Rate of Solid Propellants"from the PEP
:D :cool:
Oh yeah for more info on PLX there is a short write up in Two Component High Explosive Mixtures by Desert Publications.
PLX was the Picatinny Arsenals first go round with liquid explosives.This mixture was improved upon in 65 with AEREX which was 94% NM and 6%Aniline.Again consult the literature cited above.
Mr.Cool brought up the question of aluminizing the mixture,at a ratio of 75% Al, 20% NM, 5% ethylenediamine(see thermobaric mixtures).I dont know enough about oxygen balance to make a judgement on this,but I would use more NM and less Al myself.Its been almost 3 yrs since Mr.Cool started that thread so maybe he'll enlighten us.
Both mixtures work best under confinement and strong boosters are recommended,#8 cap at the minimum.

freaky_frank
April 5th, 2004, 08:40 AM
About the aniline, would other amino acids be usefull too?
I can get alinine, valinine, leucine....

Zeitgeist
April 5th, 2004, 12:10 PM
As in Aminobenzene, freaky_frank.
That carcinogenic aromatic thing that's difficult to find.