View Full Version : A new section about FTP stuff

megalomania
November 30th, 2003, 04:45 PM
What would you guys think about opening up a new section for FTP related info eh? I will call it Special Project 2: FTP servers. We can keep all the messages about the FTP there. More importantly I want to use the section to encourage people to start their own FTP servers. We can have tutorials, links to info on starting and running FTP servers, reviews and how to’s on using FTP software, and maybe even info on using P2P clients and other ways of spreading information.

This section will at least be a way for people to see we have a server and hopefully start contributing. This new section will be post count nulled and unbanable just like the water cooler. It will also be open to unregistered people so they can see the FTP vitals (and hopefully upload) but they will not be able to post of course.

So who's with me?

peterthesmart
November 30th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Excellent idea. I\d be more than happy to write a few tutorials on setting up and using a ftp.

PHAID
November 30th, 2003, 05:11 PM
I think it would be a great idea and would help answer questions for new members like myself.

I have had a few questions about the FTP like how do you go about uploading when you have to wait to get acess to it.
Is there a way to contribute without acess?
Also to save time and bandwidth a list of what is on the site as well as a list of whats wanted would help.

megalomania
November 30th, 2003, 05:22 PM
I have been looking for some software to index FTP sites, but I have not found anything good yet. I have some rather complex software that allows an FTP site to be indexed and searched on the web, but I was looking for something a bit simplier for now, like just a text file of all the files. If anybody has anything to do this I will stick the index on the website.

peterthesmart
November 30th, 2003, 05:51 PM
I know this can be easily done in Unix by adding -R, I'm still trying to find a program for windows.

darkdontay
November 30th, 2003, 08:58 PM
It sounds like a good Idea.

I'm trying to get all the old files form my old Backup Server to DVD.
Time just seems to be so short lately.

blindreeper
December 1st, 2003, 02:19 AM
I am definately with it. But whats with the heading at the top of the forum "Go to the (Un)Official Forum FTP NOW!" ?

Ollie Snowie
December 1st, 2003, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I'm definitely for it.
I think the Go to the (Un)Official Forum FTP NOW! is to get people to participate more by telling them they will get something for their efforts.
Also, why does it have to be FTP? Can't you transfer files over HTTP as well? I suppose you need to use a script to modify data on the server, and that means more processor time used up. I can't see how that would be a problem, and FTP is very slow to connect. (Like how come tripod has cancelled its FTP administration service in preference to their web administration service?) Could someone please point out something obvious.

Jacks Complete
December 1st, 2003, 10:17 AM
The message (Go to the (Un)Official Forum FTP NOW!) on the top of the page is, I hope, visible to registered, logged in users only!

As for why FTP, well, generally it is simpler! You could use a script in PHP to do the job, though. It wouldn't really be worth it unless you could find a good free script, though. Oh, and there is no resume facility, and the FTP protocol is for transferring files, so is that bit more effecient than HTTP.

zeocrash
December 1st, 2003, 12:51 PM
i think an ftp forum is a great idea, it sure beats the 9 page threads that we used to have.

megalomania
December 1st, 2003, 01:01 PM
The FTP message is indeed visable to unregistered people, the point is for those type of people to see it and encourage some posting to be granted access. And of course to get them to upload since anyone can do that, not to mention uploading can get you a membership to the FTP.

Jacks Complete
December 2nd, 2003, 09:58 AM
Megalomania,

I would have to ask how that works? If I upload anything, it is to an account that is available to lots of people. Is someone sitting there cross-referring the IP addresses?

Also, I uploaded a few things, but I have no idea what is up there already. I don't want to rape the bandwidth of the connection with duplicate files.

Also, how do I find my forum id number?

Finally, I am getting a bounce message from what I believe is the request email address, coming back to me at my email. I got one after my first submission, and another after I read there were a few problems with it, and it asked that we re-apply. Sadly, I have deleted them, as they were caught as spam by my emailer.

Edit: You can get a file listing in DOS, and pipe it to a file. You can recurse the directories, too, with /s on the DIR command. You will probably want to parse it into a file using > <<filename>>.

The whole command is "dir /s > C:/filetree.txt" which works under DOS. Nav. to the right directory first. You can play with the dir command to get the output how you want it, before using an editor.

blindreeper
December 3rd, 2003, 01:49 AM
Just a quick thing I have noticed about your member numbers that everyone thinks that its the number displayed in the address bar when you go to your profile. It is NOT the case. My member number is 1737 but when I go to my profile its 1741. Obviously close but wrong.
In the FTP application you should leave the space blank or N/A, none or whatever floats your boat.

Diabolique
August 4th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I have some interesting texts that I believe would be very useful to people, but do not know how or where to upload them.

[LLNL Explosives Handbook]
[LANL Explosives Performance Data]
[Davis - Chemistry and Technology of Explosives]
[AMCP 706-177 - Properties of Explosives of Military Interest]
[AMCP 706-180 - Principles of Explosive Behavior]
[TM-9-1300-214 - Military Explosives (1984)]
and many more ...

I also do not post messages unless I believe I have something useful to add. That will work against me for an ftp account with you.

Any help, anyone?

nbk2000
August 4th, 2006, 01:42 AM
1)Upload a couple of the more exotic files to http://rapidshare.de

2)Private Message the links to me and megalomania

3)If it's worthy of inclusion, we'll see that you get the details to the FTP, conditional upon continuing uploads. :)

Though choosing a 3 year old thread to post in, when there are much more recent related-threads, does not bode well.

The_Duke
August 4th, 2006, 03:36 AM
I've been waiting along with the rest of the forum for a copy of the LLNL Explosives Handbook.:D

Please post the download link for that book in this thread as soon as possible.

Defendu
August 4th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Please post the download link for that book in this thread as soon as possible.

Why not post it in the rapidshare links thread Dank$ta started instead of in a completely unrelated thread?

nbk2000
August 4th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Diabolique is on a 2 week hiatus for post-flooding. We shall see if he returns with the supposed goods.