View Full Version : (Un)Official Irc Channel OPEN UPDATE

PyroNitrate
November 30th, 2003, 06:17 PM
We have decided to merge channels. This is were you will find everyone. As for op posistions... we will see how big the channel gets.

Server:
blargh.fl.us.xnet.org

Channel:
#theforum

You will need an irc client

BitchX - Here (http://www.bitchx.org/)

Mirc - Here (http://www.mirc.com/)

Pirch - Here (http://www.pirch.com/)

Klient - Here (http://www.klient.com/)

Theres a well known saying for thoes whom can't figure out how to use thoes clients
RTFM(Read the fucking manual.) For thoes of you who are to lazy to RTFM i have
wrote a short guide on connecting, joining the channel.

[Step 1 Connecting]

Open the Irc Client, When it is loaded send the following command parms

/server [ip] [port]

In our case you would enter the following

/server blargh.fl.us.xnet.org

This will connect you to the server. You can tell you are connected when you recieve
the motd ( Message of the day).

[Step 2 Joining]

After connecting to the server to join the channel enter the following command parms

/join [Channelname]

In our case you would enter the following

/join #theforum

You will then enter the channel, and have ability to talk.

You can also find a large list of commands Here (http://www.mirc.com/cmds.html)

The same rules apply to the channel as the forum, If they are abused you will be banned.

Thanks

-Nick

photonic
November 30th, 2003, 06:52 PM
No offense, but you have seven posts. I doubt many people are going to be interested in participating in an IRC channel where their hostname is visible(even a BNC is not very secure). Especially not from someone who just showed up. Also, I think the idea was never put into action because it was determined to be a bad one. It's harder to moderate and IRC channel and also easier to say something stupid. It would also provide a perfect opportunity for pigs to coax somebody into saying something they will regret. Personally, I appreciate the attempt at providing a service to forum members, but I would advise others to be careful if they choose to join or participate in the channel. At the very least, only IRC through a BNC.

PyroNitrate
November 30th, 2003, 07:01 PM
I will see how things go.

rp3o8
November 30th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Actually peterthesmart did setup an IRC channel at blargh.fl.us.xnet.org called #theforum. There were about six or seven people logged on last night and a few this morning, so it's fairly active...

BTW, my nick is Vepr.

darkdontay
November 30th, 2003, 08:54 PM
I was on last night around 10pm PST on blargh.fl.us.xnet.org and their was two people on buit they seemed to be just sitting.

Here is a free web [Java] based IRC Client for thoughs that Wont/ Are not able to install
a IRC client.

http://www.rlscnetwork.com/sharedresources/chat.html

Lil_Guppy
November 30th, 2003, 09:30 PM
As it has been mentioned before, both in this thread and in the other IRC thread, there is already an existing channel set up... There is no point having a heap of un-official forum IRC channels, so just use the first channel set up (#TheForum on blargh.fl.us.xnet.org). If the reason for creating you own IRC channel is so you can have operator status, then thats a bit lame :p Besides, if you be good, you may get ops status in the channel anyway ;)

darkdontay
December 1st, 2003, 09:24 PM
Also list the times that you would normaly be monitoring.. It is annoying as hell to be in a channel where their is only squatters.

PyroNitrate
December 1st, 2003, 10:38 PM
There are usualy admins there at night and during the ned of the day.

Flake2m
December 2nd, 2003, 05:37 AM
I dont like the idea of having a forum IRC channel. Most chat rooms, unless they are monitored very well end up simply becoming mud flinging matches and really bad mother insults used.
Also someone can impersonate Mods/Admins as well as other members. A cop could impersonate a member, an then find out what is going on. Because IRC channels also allow people to get others people s IP address, this also makes it easier for the authorities to find out who is who in the zoo.
I am not going to be using the roguesci IRC channel, you may think otherwise but I am only exercising my right to protest.

xyz
December 2nd, 2003, 06:43 AM
The server that our channel is on is set to mask IP addresses and of course, we don't talk about anything illegal do we? ;) It's all in theory...

But each to his own, you don't have to use the channel and nobody is trying to make you.

P.S. Peterthesmart, I am fairly busy this week so I have not been able to sign on to help with the moderation of the channel. I am fine to do this job on weekends though. If you want another Australian for the purposes of moderating the channel while you're asleep, then I highly recommend either GibboNet or Lil_Guppy

Anath
December 2nd, 2003, 07:35 AM
I intend to keep using it, though I'm only active in the evenings & weekends... It's a good way to chat with people that are of a similar mindset, no need to be announcing your secret plots or illegal chemical stashes. If you use some common sense, there's nothing to worry about.

The channel will remain good as long as there is some stiff moderation, much like the forum.

Rhadon
December 2nd, 2003, 10:39 AM
What do you think about creating a non-public channel with an account system, i.e. you need to sign up for an account in order to be able to enter the channel? That would prevent impersonations and excessive occurence of kewls.

zeocrash
December 2nd, 2003, 05:41 PM
I was wondering if someone could clarify about bots. my bot got kicked out of the channel on the pretext that there was only 1 bot supposed to be on the channel, but the bot never seems to be on the channel, now either we get a bot that is there a decent percentage of the time or we have a no bots policy, there's no pint having a bot that comes on kicks off all the other bots and leaves again within the space of 5 mins

peterthesmart
December 2nd, 2003, 07:44 PM
I have set up an announcement asking people not to use bots that can kick/ban people to get things straightened out. We are in need of people who would like to have bots spread information and I'd be happy to help you out.

Update - If you want to use a clone on the channel, let pyronitrate know and he will add you to safe list.

PyroNitrate
December 2nd, 2003, 08:17 PM
EWgod bot will be on 24/7 if you dont see him there it is because he is ghosted
you can still send commands to him.

megalomania
December 3rd, 2003, 09:13 PM
I will be on as often as I can, come join in the fun.

Lil_Guppy
December 3rd, 2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by xyz
If you want another Australian for the purposes of moderating the channel while you're asleep, then I highly recommend either GibboNet or Lil_Guppy AFAIK I am already a channel moderator... :p