View Full Version : detonators

anarkisten_83
August 30th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Hi, i was just wondering if i could fill a cratermaker with AP, Would that det. ANFO? Or do i need a booster charge, (Would a AP cm det. any ammonium explosive? I know i can det ANNM)

berg
August 30th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Hi,
for starters, wrong section.
did you know AP reacts with some metals, it causes heat which sometimes can lead to detonantion. a while back somone (forgot who it was) blew a nice chunk out of thier leg with an AP filled cratermaker which he had in his pocket.
as regards to detonating ANFO with a cratermaker i'm sure you need a booster det to detonate it, as ANFO is a sleepy explosive.
- berg

[This message has been edited by berg (edited August 30, 2001).]

kingspaz
August 30th, 2001, 09:08 AM
anarkisten?...is that anarchist in anohter language by any chance? AP is ok with metals but HMTD is not. i think if you are going to use ANFO you should use an ANNM charge to set it off. also it will help if the ANFO is strongly confined to lower the chances of a partial detonation.

[This message has been edited by kingspaz (edited August 30, 2001).]

mr.evil
August 30th, 2001, 10:30 AM
hai,

if there is an problem with detonating ANFO, why don't you use ANNM?
its much easyer to detonate AND much stronger.

but if you want to;
you can mix the ANFO with AL powder to increase the sensitivity.
and detonate it with HMTD or so.

but if you can its MUCH better to create a booster of RDX.

greetz from;
Evil...

madog
August 30th, 2001, 11:32 AM
the guy who blew a chunk of his leg out was using an HMTD cratermaker. not AP. AP is perfectly fine with metals. HMTD definatly is not.

------------------
"True freedom is not without anarchy"

Anthony
August 30th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Low Explosives is the correct section for detonators.

A 12gm CO2 cratridge only holds about 5gm of AP or HMTD, which I doubt is enough to detonate ANFO. Also the AP or HMTD wouldn't be pressed so the VoD would be quite low, further lessening the chance of it detonating the ANFO.

An ANNM booster is a good idea.

kingspaz
August 30th, 2001, 06:37 PM
low explosives?...why is that the section? i thought it would be high explosives since it actually detonates not just diflagrates. now i'm confused...

Mr Cool
August 30th, 2001, 07:25 PM
The way I think of it is like this: LE section includes LE's and ignitors, and a detonator is like an ignitor for HE's... so if you want to know how to make detonators, this is the section. But primaries are high explosives, so if you want to know how to synthesise primaries you go to HE. That's just how I organise my posts...

mark
August 30th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Perhaps a filmcanister of pressed ap? If that wont set it off, well, gosh.

megalomania
August 31st, 2001, 12:29 AM
I have lumped primaries in this section in the interests of brevity. It is also a generalization that detonators are not, strictly speaking, high explosives, therefore everything else gets put here. In time I may give detonators a section of their own, but for now lets continue to concentrate on just explosives.

------------------
For the most comprehensive and informative web site on explosives and related topics, go to Megalomania's Controversial Chem Lab at http://surf.to/megalomania