View Full Version : Gasless Time Delay Fuse

10fingers
August 31st, 2001, 10:20 PM
The following compositions may be useful for time delay fuses such as used in hand grenades, etc.
"The preferred combustible composition is composed of zirconium metal powder(Zr) and not more than a stoichiometric amount of powdered barium chromate(BaCrO). This composition readily ignites at low temperatures and the burning rate may be adjusted by varying the proportions of zirconium and barium chromate. A suitable composition having a moderate burning rate contains 18.5% Zr and 81.5% barium chromate. A mixture of zirconium metal powder(-200 mesh) and powdered iron oxide in stoichiometric proportions(43.5% Zr, 51.5%Fe2O3) with 5% by weight of diatomaceous earth as a diluent exhibits fast propagation of combustion.
Another composition is composed of, by weight, 22% nickel powder, 5% zirconium powder, 16.8% potassium perchlorate and 56.2% barium chromate. This composition ignites at low temperature and the relative percentages of the four components may be varied over a wide range to give various burning rates. The composition just stated after being compressed at 12,000 psi burns at a rate of 0.1 inch per second, or a burning time of 10 seconds per inch".

Agent Blak
September 1st, 2001, 03:20 PM
Where do you get powdered Ziconium from and how expensive is it? Have you tried this yourself yet?

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

10fingers
September 1st, 2001, 05:20 PM
You can get Zirconium powder from Skylighter, $20.00 per 1/4 lb. It's a bit expensive. I am going to be ordering some stuff from them soon so I might give it a try. I'm quite sure that these compositions work since the info is from a U.S. patent.

[This message has been edited by 10fingers (edited 11-17-2001).]