View Full Version : Google knows best?

streety
December 5th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Go to google (http://www.google.com) , type in 'miserable failure', hit the I'm feeling lucky button and prepare to laugh.

Anthony
December 5th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Someone's been screwing around to exploit Google's search algorithms :)

megalomania
December 5th, 2003, 02:43 PM
I wonder ho they manipulated this? Neither of the words miserable or failure even appear on the page. Somebody at goggle itself must have done this. A political comment perhaps?

Will search engines someday be regulated to prevent informational abuse? If for example in the future our primary source of information on businesses and politics is web dependant will there be some sort of balanced regulated system to ensure nobody manipulates the data? An interesting thought to ponder...

wrench352
December 5th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Does anyone remember around the time of the "election"the same thing happened if you searched 'stupid motherfucker' or somethin along the same lines.I wonder if its the same guy doin it?

arm
December 5th, 2003, 04:15 PM
I dont think its a fix to google itself.

Google's 'Page Rank' system works by rating pages on the number of links pointing to a specific website. I believe that people are manipulating the page rank system by having large numbers of links on their websites/blogs titled 'miserable failure' pointing the whitehouse website.

zeocrash
December 5th, 2003, 05:37 PM
on that note try "french military victories" and "weapons of mass destruction" and hit the i'm feeling lucky button

Jacks Complete
December 5th, 2003, 05:59 PM
I don't think this is someone playing tricks...

Look at all the articles that are calling him a miserable failure. They all link to that page. So google associates the words with him, because some many other high quality sites do!

Either that, or someone at google is going to get a free 250 year vaction in Cuba next week!

arm
December 5th, 2003, 06:08 PM
God, the "weapons of mass destruction" one is fucking hilarious.

EP
December 6th, 2003, 12:43 AM
This explains how it's done:

http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/article.php/2164611

Nobody at google has anything to do with it, it's not a left-wing conspiracy by whoever owns google...