View Full Version : Oxygen Balance Calculator

LostProphet
December 7th, 2003, 08:55 PM
I understand the fact that a newb posting a thread is highly looked down upon for obvious reasons but this is one of those things I'd prefer some one a bit more educated to give me some good old constructive criticism. If your interested check it out here www.lostprophetslounge.0catch.com/ob%20calc.xls. Just copy and paste...

The Anarch
December 8th, 2003, 02:31 AM
psst... file not found.

Sarevok
December 8th, 2003, 02:59 AM
File not found? Its because he posted the wrong link: www.lostprophetslounge.0catch.com/ob%20calc.xls.. The correct link is www.lostprophetslounge.0catch.com/ob%20calc.xls. Also, this server does not allow hotlinking, you have to copy and paste the correct link on your web browser.

By the way, I think this thread belongs to the Water Cooler; or to the Banned for Life.

Anath
December 8th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Water cooler, perhaps. But why would someone get banned for life for posting something thats potentially useful, and in arguably the correct section?

LostProphet: This could be improved by a header explaining what Oxygen Balance is, how it pertains to Explosive compositions, and how to use the Excel calc.. also perhaps a dropdown list of some common Primaries?

blindreeper
December 8th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Not only have I included primaries and OB, but VoD, chemical forumula, state, secondary or primary.
The calculator is simple to use. Enter in the number of O, N, H and C atoms and it works it out for you, not much to explain how to use the calculator.

The reason it is a zip file is because you can't attach excel documents, hope I am not taking too much advantage of the free web hosting with a 5kb file :p

Blackhawk
December 9th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Hah, I'm pretty sure this guy posted the calculator on bombshocks forums anyway :D God why do they bother at that place, they have an entire forum branch called 'Mayhem'

xyz
December 9th, 2003, 04:22 AM
If people are interested I have school holidays in a week and I would have enough time to program an OB calculation program in Visual Basic.

blindreeper
December 9th, 2003, 08:29 AM
I would be interested, although the excel one is nice its pretty un-userfriendly.
BTW anyone find my link helpful?

LostProphet
December 9th, 2003, 10:52 AM
I think we've all found your link useful...It's the main page that inspired me to get off my arse and do something. Additionally it was about the only thing that I could compare my answers to so i'm more than thankful at the moment.

B.T.W. I know everyone at this forums rather "iffy" about looking at pages on totse or BS but one of their members has done a bit of work too it which can be seen here http://www.msu.edu/~huntjas2/ob.html

Is it really that unuser friendly? :o

Blackhawk
December 9th, 2003, 04:36 PM
But you can't put it more than one metal (say if you are trying to calc KMnO4) And from what I see at BS atleast is that yes there are a few decent people but they are the acception to the rule, One thread people were talking about BP in passing, describing that you use 'burnt wood' as the charcoal ingredient, although I was a guest so I couldn't reply.

xyz
December 11th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Because there is some interest in it, I will try to get around to writing an OB calculator in Visual Basic. It is about a week and a half until my school holidays and I will do it once the holidays start (very busy at the moment).

0EZ0
December 12th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Although I like doing most of my calculations manually to understand exactly what is happening, an OB and other calculators could be rather useful. OB is easily enough calculated on a quarter of a piece of scrap paper.

Explosion heat, kJ release and gas output take a little bit more effort to calculate. Especially when dealing with multiple reactants such as in a pyrotechnical mixture. A calculator for those would be alot more useful. Although you would have to invest a fair amount of time in building such a program. I don't think anyone here would have the time nor patience to tackle that, myself included.

megalomania
December 13th, 2003, 12:51 AM
You can still attach files line normal by clicking the "reply" button. You just can't do it with the quick reply at the bottom of a thread.

xyz
December 21st, 2003, 11:51 PM
OK, well here it is. While Mega was hard at work fixing the forum, I was hard at work coding this.

You can calculate oxygen balances and it also has a bunch of "Preset OB" buttons for different explosives that you can push to get the OB without having to enter the information.

You will notice that it is version 1.03, the earlier versions were released to various members while the forum was down and this version is the latest with a few problems corrected and all the preset buttons working.

Anyway, the file is attached

EDIT: Let me know what you think and any improvements that you think should be made.

TheBear
December 22nd, 2003, 07:42 AM
This is an excel document I made ages ago to calculate oxygenbalance. It is very easy to use and has data for ammonium nitrate, ammonium perchlorate, nitromethane, some alcohols, some metal and AP. More substances can be added easily. :)

To calculate oxygen blanace just enter the mass of each component and to OB will be given to you expressed in %

Copy and paste: http://www.geocities.com/oxygenbalancecalculator/DecomposionCalculator.zip

Hope it helps someone. Note:macros doesn't have to be enabled unless you want to use the "clear" button on page 3.