View Full Version : AP + Sulphur - archive file

zaibatsu
October 13th, 2002, 09:03 AM
extreme
Frequent Poster
posted December 31, 2000 03:47 AM
Anyone who tried to mix AP with sulphur and then light it?
Try it and light (outside), its like a stinkbomb
Anyone who has any comments about this?

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted December 31, 2000 06:12 AM
I guess you could possibly put the ap/sulphur mixture in a paper tube sealed at both ends, being 1.5 inches long, and 1 cm in with. You could fuse them and once made, could be mass produced and, because of their lightweight, and they are so concealable, you can bring them to stadiums and movies and whatever. Even in class! The confinement of the AP/sulphur mixture will cause the stink to be spread out a very big radius.

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted December 31, 2000 10:32 AM
I tested this once. The result was that the AP ignited but the sulfur didn't burn. The "stinking effect" can result of the combustion of AP, I noticed that it uses to give off an unpleasant odor when burned (perhaps a result of impurities)

Anthony
posted December 31, 2000 11:30 AM
AP doesn't smell when deflagerated but when it detonates it don't half stink.

PYRO500
posted December 31, 2000 02:14 PM
what about ap- sugar? do you think that would make alot of smoke?

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted December 31, 2000 02:55 PM
What about AP+Al? I would mix it then use it there, or it might corrode/explode. What if you were to make a FAE with acetone with as much of AP that would dissolve into it? If you try, be sure to have a lot of AP it takes a lot.

PYRO500
posted December 31, 2000 03:17 PM
the aluminum might corrode rapidly and heat the ap to detonation, I personaly would keep ap as far away from metals as possibe esp oxidizaables

green beret
Frequent Poster
posted January 01, 2001 06:04 AM
I think that mixing AP with sulfur could have its risks because the sulfur may contain a small amount of residual acid. Just be careful.

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted January 01, 2001 01:58 PM
I also tried a mixture of AP and sugar, with the same result as AP + sulfur: The AP burned, but too fast to ignite the sugar. AP and very fine Al-powder might work, but the risk of self-ignition is present. If it doesn't work with Al probably Mg could be taken, but this would be even more dangerous because Mg is more reactive than Al and tends to ignite itself when moisture is present.

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted January 01, 2001 02:43 PM
Perhaps I might add that I use to fill my self-made fire-crackers with a mixture of AP and fine wood charcoal (~ 3:1 by volume). You can save AP with this and it's still very powerful. I don't know but probably the AP is desensitized with this.

Arthis
Frequent Poster
posted January 07, 2001 06:11 AM
Well, do you remember what nbk2000 had told about oxygen balance ? AP has a negative one, so adding a fuel will not give cool results as it will need more oxygen, which is already deficient. It so may be difficult to find a chemical that makes a greater explosion/effect.

Whoa it is good to visit this forum again, after a one week holiday snowboarding...

Anthony
posted January 07, 2001 03:19 PM
Adding a relatively stable oxidiser might help, it may also desensitize it a bit and raise the density. (I'd go and try this now if I had some AP stored...)

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted January 08, 2001 06:52 PM
I have mixed AP with ammonium nitrate(fine powdered clear and dried)1:1 in mass. it explodes very well when confined and set off with 2 grams of AP.I've made 100 grams of this but I'm not sure that all the AN explodes...