View Full Version : giant fountain w/ whistle comp?

flashpoint
December 14th, 2003, 04:23 PM
is it possible to incorporate a whistle comp, into Dan's Giant Fountain? I'mt rying to figure out a good way to do this...

Bert
December 15th, 2003, 02:00 AM
The giant steel fountain barely works with a nitrate based fuel. They often fail catastrophicaly if slightly under pressed or having a crack in the fuel- Adding a perchlorate based composition would guarantee they blew up every time, IMHO. I've seen more than a dozen attempts to make these using Allen Clark's described methods. At least half have blown up.

EP
December 15th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Beyond that, I've read if whistles have a maximum size, at which point they will just explode. Supposedly this is because the whistle gets so loud that it cracks the compressed whistle comp, increasing surface area enough to cause an explosion.

Ever heard anything about this, Bert? Ever tried it?

Bert
December 15th, 2003, 03:12 AM
A seminar at PGII convention on whistles included video of a 2" ID whistle. It was made by the presenter at his job, working for the US Gov't. at Aberdeen Proving Ground. He didn't mention any theoretical maximum size to my recollection. I've personally seen properly functioning whistle rockets up to 1.5" ID. I'll see if I can fine my notes fom the seminar.

fire vs. water
December 15th, 2003, 08:02 AM
I don't want to post this in the pyrotechnic section, It has been answered, but I didn't really understand it...

What is the use of Red Gum in the mixture (in Dan William's page... Clark's Giant Steel Fountain)?
I can't get my hands on any shellacs or anything similar (nor Red Gum of course...)...
I know its a Binder and a Fuel, but can I substitute something which is available to me instead of the Red Gum???
any ideas?

Bert
December 15th, 2003, 10:59 AM
fire vs. water-
If you can't understand the statement that it is the binder and the fuel, you are so week in theory that you have no business posting outside the water cooler, much less playing with energetic materials.

If you can't get your hands on shellac, you are not very resourceful. It's available from any specialty store or website dealing with furniture finishing on any continent except, possibly, Antarctica.

Having read your posts in pyrotechnics where you ask if you can substitute COCOA MIX for red gum and bitch at people who point out rather gently that you're not posting coherently, I would suggest you back off and read for a while- If you keep posting idiocy like that, you'll soon be gone.

To the rest-
Clark's giant steel fountain is not a beginner's project. It's a touchy, large device where a failure is going to be very noticeable, and a success nearly as attention getting. It's expensive and takes a LOT of materials. I know it's enticing, but start small & work up- A lot of the questions regarding this device both here & in the pyrotechnics section have been pretty indicative of folks trying to run before they're walking steady.

Rhadon
December 15th, 2003, 12:05 PM
If you keep posting idiocy like that, you'll soon be gone.Indeed.
(fire vs. water, in case you didn't get it: That was the last warning)