View Full Version : Aluminum+Pyrodex

Randy D
December 16th, 2003, 07:30 AM
My question is I just recived my order of Aluminum flake 2 micron and at $20.00+ a pound
can I use pyrodex as a stretcher? I am only using it for flash powder.The formula I am using is:
Potassiom Perchlorate 63% Aluminum Dark 27% Sulfer 10%
and the standard KCIO4 70% and Al 30%. Is there any thing in pyrodex that I should be worried about? Has any one done this and if so what is a good ratio as not to effect the flash powder much? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
y2kminuteman@yahoo.com

Crazy Swede
December 16th, 2003, 04:25 PM
What exactly do you mean by "use pyrodex as a stretcher"?

Bert
December 16th, 2003, 08:59 PM
I THINK he means that he wants to extend his limited supply of flash making chemicals by diluting the flash with Pyrodex (a readily available perchlorate based black powder substitute).

Dangerous? Probably not. Has it been done before? Probably, by some other kid who couldn't get all the flash chemicals he wanted. A good ratio? Unknown. I'd say using 0% Pyrodex would be my choice... Because Pyrodex costs much more than flash powder for me, since I'm not getting ripped off $20.00/lb. for Aluminum. Last time I bought Pyrodex, it cost more than GOEX BP. If you've really just GOT to stretch your limited amount of perchlorate flash, about 1/3 home made meal BP to 2/3 flash by weight will work OK providing you've got a good strong case, and it will be considerably cheaper than using Pyrodex. The sound of the explosion will change somewhat, from a higher pitched bang to a lower pitched boom.

hpy2bhre
January 1st, 2004, 09:04 PM
The absoloute best "stretcher" I've ever used is a fast double base smokless powder. I think there was a thread on this somewhere. I think 20 to 25 % by volume works the best. My favorite powder is winchester 231. If you add the 231 to the oxidizer then add the metal powder it seems to mix way easier and more complete. I find the boom to be a little lower pitched and the sound really carries well. With a 70 % perchlorate 30% dark aluminium to 25% by mixed volume 231, the device just goes away. Theres hardly any smoke or flash, it just goes bang!

Bert
January 2nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Bullseye also works well- It's still more expensive than flash, though.

keith
January 3rd, 2004, 01:39 PM
What website is best to use for buying all the needed suplies for Flash. 70perchlorate 20charcoal 10sulfer is the best ratio to use.
As a "stretcher", use FFFFG black powder or Pyrodex.

Bert
January 3rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
There is a site policy against disclosing sources of useful materials in posts. Do your own research.

If the 70:30:10 ratios you post is supposed to be for flash, you don't know what flash is.

keith
January 3rd, 2004, 03:02 PM
I know I'm sorry it was very early when I posted that and I had just woken up. 70/30 potassium Perchlorate/AL is what I meant.
It's been a while since I've made flash. When using pyrodex or black powder remember that their burn rates are rated with F's and a G. The more Fs before the G the faster it will burn. Black powder and Pyrodex will burn alot faster than smokeless because smokeless powder has burn rate reducing agents on it. So even though it's made of Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerin, the burn rate agents make it burn quite slow.

Blackhawk
January 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
I was under the impression that pyrodex IS smokeless powder, correct me if I'm wrong though

zaibatsu
January 3rd, 2004, 10:04 PM
As bert says, it is a substitute for blackpowder and creates less smoke than BP but still significant amounts. It's not smokeless powder in the same sence as nitrocellulose based powders.

Bert
January 3rd, 2004, 11:42 PM
The popularity of Pyrodex in the US has more to do with the fact that the manufacturers were able to get it classified as a "flammable solid" rather than as an explosive. Hence, they can send it through the mail and dealers have less stringent storage requirements than they would for black powder.

Pyrodex is composed mostly of potassium perchlorate, sodium benzoate and potassium nitrate. It is a hideous thing to use in a good gun- Unless you live in an area of very low humidity, it is not possible to clean the gun quickly enough to prevent dammage. If you have a black powder weapon you care about, use black powder only! Fuck the smoke- that's a BENEFIT, not a liability!

Keith, this is the watercooler and you won't get banned for it here- But you still might want to read and learn, rather than try to educate for a while.