View Full Version : Velocity of detonation determination methods?

Bert
December 18th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Several people have made claims in various threads here as to vod of substances they've made. When pressed, at least one admitted he'd just guessed, using as a basis the amount of damage caused to a target compared to that caused by another substance with a published vod available- (See Maniak's posts in the Plastickexplosives (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127&perpage=50&highlight=plastick&pagenumber=2) thread)

I've seen two methods of determining vod- one by using a loop of det cord of a known vod with the ends placed against a length of the material to be measured for vod a known distance apart, the vod is calculated by the offset from the center of the loop of det cord that the shockwaves from the explosion fronts meet, which can be found by placing the loop of det cord on a lead sheet and observing the placement of the deeper dent caused the meeting of the two converging shock waves.

The second method is basically the same, but uses a length of shock tube instead of det cord and no lead witness plate is required- The shock tube will burst at the point where the two shock waves meet, the measurement of offset may be taken directly from the remains of the fired length of shock tube.

These methods require a column of explosive large enough to sustain a detonation, and the first measurement must be far enough from the point of initiation for the shock wave to have "settled down" to an even speed. They're somewhat dependant on the containment of the charge and diameter of the column too, which is why you may see that data included in tables of measurements in CPOE & etc.

Can anyone suggest other methods? Most particularly, ones that would not require commercial det cord or shock tube, nor other equipment that isn't both fairly cheap, easy to haul out to the woods and widely available (portable oscilloscopes and high speed triggering mechanisms would not do).

As an aside, what is state of the art in current commercial and military practice?

(edit)
My first idea is to adapt a cheap, portable commercial sky screen type chronograph. Haven't completely figured out the triggering though, and I'm just guessing that one of these would be capable of measuring speeds in the range necessary. In my preliminary scheme, the charge would be set midway between the screens and a projectile attached to the sample in two places a known distance apart. Ideally, they would then be blown through the sensor areas of the two screens at a time interval equal to the time necessary for the shock wave to progress between the two points, assuming equal distance to the sensors and equal velocities imparted to the projectiles. The placement between sensors would be easy, equal velocities being imparted is a BIG assumption with no way to check... And in the higher vod's, some engineering might be needed to keep the projectiles from merely being shattered.

Anyone else got any ideas?

megalomania
December 18th, 2003, 07:22 PM
I have a book that I am going to scan about determining detonation velocity. I had to send it back since I damaged my camera, but I will be getting it again soon. There are at least a good dozen methods in there, maybe more. I just skimmed the book myself. I do remember reading that bit about the 2 pieces of det cord, very nifty that. The book is well illistrated and not really deep into technobabble, it is quie practical. Lets see if I can remember some, there is the lead block expansion test, the electrostatic discharge test, the sand box test, ahh I can't really remember anymore. The book includes methods of testing sensitivity as well. It's only about 400 pages or so.

Bert
December 18th, 2003, 08:21 PM
I'm familiar with lead block cavity expansion and lead cylinder compression tests as measures of relative power and speed, and a sand crushing test as a measure of brissance as described in Tenney Davis' CPOE. The det cord vod measure is also there, they've got several other vod measures that pre-date modern electronics but wouldn't be suitable for your average amateur's use. Looking forward to more info- thanks!

grendel23
December 22nd, 2003, 02:09 AM
What is needed is a way to measure short intervals of time.
The easiest way would be to use an oscilloscope, even a old crappy one would do. If you don't have access to one, but have some skill in electronics, you could set up a 1Mhz oscillator and a counter, set up with two fine wires embedded in the charge a known distance apart, one to start the counter, one to stop it. Easy if you know a bit of digital electronics.

Tuatara
December 22nd, 2003, 05:42 PM
Using piezo elements (as in piezo buzzers) embedded in the charge might be better. I suspect a wire would take too long to break.
You could also put the piezos at the ends of two water filled tubes, using the water tubes like the det cord Bert mentioned. That way you might get to keep the piezos !

Come to think of it, even ordinary RG58 co-ax exhibits the piezo effect. The detonation shock wave should be plenty strong enough to get a decent signal. For those who don't believe, and have an oscilloscope, try this little experiment - set your scope up for DC trigger, just above zero, then whack your scope probe against the desk. See what happens?

T_Pyro
December 22nd, 2003, 10:19 PM
A simple counter would be simply a crystal oscillator using CD4020BC (1 MHz should be accurate enough, I think, like grendel23 stated), which provides a clock pulse for a 32 bit ripple counter. The oscillator could be enabled by a "start" pulse, and disabled using a "stop" pulse. An SR Flip-Flop would be useful for this.

A piezo element sounds like a good idea, but since I've not used one in this way, I'm not sure whether it would be effective on its own. A digital circuit like the one outlined above would require perfect square wave pulses to work properly, but the piezo crystal might not be able to provide an exact pulse. If that's the case, an LM555 monostable oscillator triggereed by the piezo elemnt would be required to provide the neccessary "start" an "stop" pulses.

Tuatara
December 22nd, 2003, 11:50 PM
Edge triggered logic would handle the crazy pulse from the piezo. The main thing would be using a schottky diode clamp on the signal - hitting a piezo with a shockwave would likely generate a multi kV pulse :D