View Full Version : Kewls on tape!

blindreeper
December 23rd, 2003, 06:34 AM
This was posted on xinventions but I thought more people would see it here. Its basicly a video of 3 kewls making a calcium hypochlorite/brake fluid pressure "bomb" in a coke bottle and it blows up in the guys hand!

http://desk003.com/fark/MAILBOX/boom.avi

Needs DivX though, which can be got at www.divx.com

I personally think he wasn't hurt that bad because you see him still standing after the explosion. But who knows right?

Ammonal
December 23rd, 2003, 08:28 AM
I can not believe that I once did that ( not exploding in my hand though :)) What a complete and utter waste of CaClO3 ??? Anyways good work Blindreeper, it might help to deter some of the dumb little shits out there that "Chlorine Bombs are not KEWL" but totally fucking useless. Dry ice is much more fun and satisfying when under a foot of water :p
Hey it was only yesterday a kid was trying to tell me that granular pool chlorine and AN fertiliser goes really well; so well in fact he reckoned it detonated. Shame this kid was 27 years old?!

Flake2m
December 23rd, 2003, 08:32 AM
That is the most stupid thing I have seen in a long time. The idiots that were doing that almost deserve to be blown up. You can tell from the video that they didn't know what they were doing and had no idea of the potential risks. To all the k3w|s out there: GO AND GET A CLUE

vulture
December 23rd, 2003, 09:42 AM
You know, looking at the video it seems to me the dude holding the bottle is trying to be tuff and impress the other guys. They seem to know it's dangerous, because they retreat very quickly when they hand him the bottle.

Sounds like a typical case of I-want-to-be-part-of-the-popular-herd-so-I-have-to-do-something-that-shows-fucking-guts :rolleyes:

BTW, if the dude really got hurt badly, it would be fucking stupid to put this on the net. Certainly because you can recognize two of them.

zeocrash
December 23rd, 2003, 09:52 AM
it sounds amusing, but unfortunately i cant view it until i get the right codec, i don't suppose anyone knows where i can get it

Mumble
December 23rd, 2003, 01:56 PM
It appears to be a standard DivX codec. Blindreeper posted a link in the initial post. If that still doesn't work try some site like this (http://video-codec.8m.com/codecs.htm).

Just curious, but are you trying to open it in windows media player? If you that could be why it's not working. Windows doesn't like DivX because of the "piracy" issues so it disabled the use of the DivX codec(or so I've heard). Try downloading the DivX media player. That's my default player but I tried and it doesn't work in WMP.

SpiffyVision
December 23rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
Did I hear the words "not very dangerous" at the very beggining of the tape or is it just me?

steyr
December 23rd, 2003, 04:58 PM
I watched that still-by-still, and it seems that everything is ok with his hand. I think, they mixed up some water and baking powder, it blew up with lil' boom, they increased volume of it, and that is what happens. I'm lame in explosives, but when I was younger I made some pop-bombs for fun and I know how it blows.

Nihilist
December 23rd, 2003, 05:28 PM
They weren't using brake fluid, in the video you hear the guy say "he's now adding the alcohol to the chlorine", when he says chlorine I would think he means hypochlorite and doesn't know the difference. And yes, he does say "it's not very dangerous" in the beginning of the video =p

vulture
December 23rd, 2003, 05:51 PM
The dude got very lucky. If you watch it frame per frame you'll see that just before the explosion gasses are already escaping through a hole in the bottom.

Also, what strikes me is that the dude shows absolutely no fear or initiative to throw it away. Maybe they believed it would work like a rocket by blowing the stopper out? Why would the other dude say "now turn it upside down and shake it!". Why upside down?

lemming
December 23rd, 2003, 07:08 PM
My first post. I can sort of relate to these clowns. Back when I was 15, or maybe 16, I did the following:

Into a 12" diameter pie tin, I poured approx. 500ml. of common gasoline. I then set a heavily reinforced aerosol can(red spray paint, with a tight fitting steel mesh hydraulic hose outside sleeve) into the center of the pan. The can was placed in an upright position, with the nozzle end up. I then lit then gasoline and retired to a safe distance.

After a minute or thereabouts, the can fell over, and out of the pan of flaming gasoline. I noted the nozzle was on fire at this time.

Not wanting to waste a good pop when the can ruptured, I sought and quickly found a tree limb of about 5 metres in length. As I foolishly attempted to reposition the fallen device, it 'exploded' with a loud report, and I was hit by hot red paint. I required a trip to the ER as my burns were of a sufficient nature to blister and peel within minutes.

After the application of suitable burn treatments, I was released with suprisingly few questions asked.

Onlookers at the scene claim that I was, "entirely engulfed in the fireball." This from a true distance of 5 metres.

Within a week, I was back to my early experiments with improvised pyrotechnic devices, my left arm still bandaged, and my glasses still spattered with red paint.

I hope I have learned much since those days, and my lack of any further accidents is testimony to the lessons in safety I learned that August afternoon.

blindreeper
December 23rd, 2003, 07:14 PM
Upsidedown because all the "reactants" were at the bottom of the bottle and if it was turned upsidedown it would have mixed faster and better.

Ammonal
December 23rd, 2003, 08:15 PM
Reacts quicker = BOOM in the idiots hand, I still cant figure out why they said they were using alcohol. Must be a different breed of KEWL where these idiots where cos around here they use coolant and hypochlorite or water / sugar / hypochlorite.

McGyver
December 23rd, 2003, 09:59 PM
Looks like there mixing in some isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Break fluid is basicaly methanol, also an alcohol. I guess lye reacts with any alcohol.

They probably made some dry ice bombs and though that this new mixture wouldn't build up pressure much faster. :rolleyes:

rp3o8
December 23rd, 2003, 11:02 PM
It does appear he is adding isopropanol by the profile of the bottle, but I don’t think the reaction between isopropanol and calcium hypochlorite would be vigorous enough to rupture the bottle within the three seconds after the cap was screwed on.

Brake fluid is normally ethylene glycol, not methanol, and lye is an alkali hydroxide, not calcium hypochlorite.

Flake2m
December 24th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Even if they did escape serious injury thay are still going to have the problem of getting un reacted alcohol and Calcium hypochlorite all over them. There parents aren't going to be happy when they have to explain how come there clothes have been bleached and the possible chemical burns on there bodies.

Haggis
December 24th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Am I the only one that finds this hilarious? Yea, and it looks to be rubbing alcohol, and it also sounds like a 12 or 13 year old is doing commentary. The fool that holds it looks to be, err...14 years, and the guy adding the alcohol I would say is 13. I can bet they yanked this from 'Files for Mischief' or some such drivel.

Please refrain from being fools in the future. Thank you.

McGyver
December 24th, 2003, 02:46 AM
It funny how they were "trying" to be scientific about it in the video, when the kid taping says what they're mixing, notice how that one kid looks at the bottle for no reason when hes mixing in the alcohol. Whats the point of shacking the mixture, that when you throw it, the impact of it hiting the ground is going to give a nice stir in the first place? I also like the part when the kid is moaning at the end. Is there any more info on that video? Its from fark so maybe someone there knows what happened to that guys hand. I bet none of the kewls involved fucked with the stuff after the accident.

Blackhawk
December 24th, 2003, 03:47 AM
I think it was hypochlorite in the bottle (what they called the 'chlorine', idiots) and the guys was adding the alcahol (most probably eth/methanol from methalated spirits) to create that autoignition effect. Brake fluid will also work for this becuase it contains ethelyne glycol (antifreeze to stop your brake fluid freezing up) which is very similar to alcahols (only one more OH group to ethanol). I am still suprised at how fast it reacted, I wouldn't have expected that in their postion, but then again I wouldn't be making 'l337 chLoRiNe Bombz' either.

If you frame by frame there is a frame where the kid is still holding the bottle but there is also gas in the air, I think this is just an artifact from the compression (when I taped a flash salute the origional AVI had one completely white frame and one after it with a fireball, but when compressed both frames had been merged) which might mean that the bottle didn't vent before hand and he felt the full force ;D

Oh well, atleast one group of people will think twice before screwing around with E&W...

Flake2m
December 24th, 2003, 07:09 AM
I actually wouldn't be surprised if their balls hadn't dropped yet. Thats if they have any. You can tell from the commontary thet they dont have a clue, and there age
[nasal voice] They're mixing the Chlorine and alcohol [/nasal voice]

If that guy didn get his hand blown off, then they would get no sympathy.

A-BOMB
December 24th, 2003, 12:21 PM
:D :D :D Funny! very funny! And here goes the Darwin award for worlds stupidist kewl, drum roll please .......... and it goes to those kewl assholes!

McGyver
December 24th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Blackhawk, its obvious there pouring in some rubbing alcohol from the looks of the bottle(at least if you live in the US). I dont think they would go through the trouble of pouring methanol or anti-freeze into a bottle which initialy contained rubbing alcohol.

SpiffyVision
December 24th, 2003, 03:25 PM
yeah, that looks like your average rubbing alcohol bottle from the US. When i looked at it frame by frame, his hand is still shaking it, you see a little cloud form in front of it, then it explodes. His hand and arm are probably to the side of his body by then.

Blackhawk
December 25th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Meh, I have no idea what a rubbing alcahol bottle looks like, I have never seen one here, Unless of course it goes by another name? What is it composed of, andyway the intended effect is still the same (as these dipshits found out in a very funny way).

peterthesmart
December 25th, 2003, 12:55 AM
For those of you who have never before seen a bottle of rubbing alcohol, here is a link.http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?CATID=100107&PRODID=475

Blackhawk
December 26th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Huh, suprisingly similar to what I said, metho, which is a mostly pure bottle of ethyl alcahol (~95%) with the rest being made up of methanol and assorted gaging agents to stop sheeple drinking it, mistaking it's name for something eddible.

chemwarrior
December 26th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Blackhawk, rubbing alcohol is isopropryl (sp?) alcohol.. Quite different from ethyl alcohol.

Blackhawk
December 26th, 2003, 07:42 AM
http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...&PRODID=475

This shortcut I was given when I asked what it was says otherwise:

"Walgreens
Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol 70%"
"Active Ingredients
Ethyl Alcohol by Volume 70%"

This is the problem with general prodcut labeling, it makes it very hard for pyros to grab products for chemistry uses.

lucas
December 26th, 2003, 11:35 AM
I know a local Kewl who Used NaOH and Chlorine and ended up with it exploding and showering one of their eyes. He had to go to hospital but didnt suffer any permanant damage, pity. He told his mum he was helping unblock a drain.

McGyver
December 26th, 2003, 02:34 PM
This should clear things up http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/chemical/pim290.htm

Mumble
December 29th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Rubbing Alcohol can be both Isopropanol and Ethanol(amongst other things mixed in). The Ethyl rubbing alcohol here happens to be bright green. Generally, rubbing alcohol is Isopropanol. I have just recently found the Ethyl version.

This link, from the very same site might I add, is isopropanol, in the exact same bottle: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?id=prod476&CATID=100947&navAction=push&navCount=0

The Ethyl version: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?id=prod475&CATID=100947&navAction=push&navCount=0

~Phelixx~
March 28th, 2004, 12:19 PM
More kewls on tape:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/firemelon.html
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/nadsblow.html
http://perp.com/whale/index.html
:rolleyes:

markgollum
March 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Those three videos are really funny, especially the first one.
I liked the reaction the kid with the baseballbat had when he realized that he was suddenly in a fireball LOL. REALLY WORTH downloading.
I also liked how you can see the red mist blown in tho the air when the whale is blown up.

darkdontay
April 10th, 2004, 08:52 AM
The whale one I have seen before, it happend close [around 1hr drive or less] to where I live. Only one of my uncles remebers it but they told me it was the funniest thing they had ever seen. The video is realy damn funny too.

It does allow you to see what happnes when to many people watch hollywood movies then get delusions of grandure and belive they can fix teh problem "wit' ol' keg a black powder."

It would have been a balst :) to have been their back then when it happend though, the falling whale fat would have sucked. To have watched profesional morons and the police go along with it.... to such a humours outcome would have been very enjoyable.

spidertard
April 10th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Damn, I really dont have any clue why they would want to shake a bottle that has corrosive stuff inside + is going to explode within seconds :p

They could have just put it on the floor and give it a good kick :rolleyes:

Omg --> http://www.abc.net.au/westernplains/news/200403/s1073715.htm

Un******* believable :mad:

Making glassbotles explode near people using "chlorine" is just retarded :mad:
Why not use a small amount of Bp and a plastic bottle ? Grrr

Mr-Eckted
April 11th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Here's another link to the video. I noticed the first one was down.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/bottlebomb.html

ucorky
September 8th, 2006, 01:20 AM
thanks for the enlightenment on this. I was looking to ask if anyone had seen it. The ka-boom in bottlebomb is my windows error sound. It drives some folks nuts but man does it tell me I have an error.

I did a frame by frame on it after converting it to an AVI file so that I could see each frame and not a keyframe at every 5 that I think the movie has in its rare form. I think I see a deformed hand being retracted but then the camera points down and stops. I'd love to talk to the shooters of this tape just to see what ever became of them.

cutefix
September 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Picture of a wannabee suicide bomber:p
http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/firecrackersuicide.html

ucorky
September 10th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Now there's a friggin nut for ya.
Under and overpass to boot. I guess he likes the echo effect along with the scortched flesh. sheeesh.

Syke
September 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM
If you search on youtube for zippo tricks you can see like 20 different dumbasses refilling the lighter and then proceeding to set their arm on fire, Usually after warning the viewer about setting their arm on fire.

Bert
September 19th, 2006, 03:14 AM
These kids found a 3" shell with a torn leader,
perhaps a finale shell that got dragged out
and fell on the ground. Watch what happens to
them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aaG2qz5Dyk&NR

c.Tech
September 19th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Good of you to give them some advise Bert.
That was a 3" class "B" aerial shell you found. I go back to our display sites at dawn the morning after our shows JUST SO SHIT LIKE THIS DOESN'T EVER GET FOUND BY STUPID KIDS LIKE YOU. That fuse is designed to burn at around 100 feet per second, there is no way to hand light a shell like that and get far enough away for safety (your fuse was obviously wet). The initial "fwoomp" was the lift charge, you've got 3 seconds or so after that before the shell bursts-
But I don’t thing these kids will learn anything from their mistakes.

It's funny how when the fuse was longer than the final attempt they ran like bitches but then as soon as he lit it for the last time he just stood their staring at the shell letting it get ever closer to the end.

At least the other kids has a little sense staying back (I stress little)

EDIT: These people looked like the smarter side of kewls until I saw their end videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMdyqCaM1A&mode=related&search=

Jacks Complete
September 19th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Impressively dumb. I was getting that funny feeling where you dread what's going to happen, as it is so obvious... They didn't blow off their hands, which was impressive. Shows they have at least one IQ point between them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmBRZ7UR3Rw is very cool. A montage of a cannon of some sort firing at various targets from a high-speed camera, set to the 1812. Beautifully done.

Bert
September 19th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Impressively dumb. I was getting that funny feeling where you dread what's going to happen, as it is so obvious....

Yes, everyone I've pointed that video out to has had the same reaction. I'm going to make that video part of my training presentation- The part about lost/diverted material being the greatest danger from display fireworks.

nbk2000
September 20th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Oh, lets just admit it...we've all done the same stupid shit ourselves. :D

Difference is that we've survived long enough to know better, or had somewhere to go to teach us. ;)

Sausagemit
September 20th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Oh, lets just admit it...we've all done the same stupid shit ourselves. :D

The stupidest thing I've ever done was tape 5 estes D rocket engines around decent sized wood dowel in a bottle rocket fashion. Then expected them to go off all at the same time when they were fuse lit and then proceded to light it off in my front lawn (I was kinda tipsy). Needless to say it lit my neighbors lawn on fire. I'm just super glad and lucky it didn't land on somebodys house. Also I'm really lucky how it only went about 10 feet into the air and horizontal about 100 feet so I could keep my eye on the flaming piece of wreckage.

megalomania
September 20th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Let’s face it, they got lucky. The time code on the tape was Aug 30, so if it was a July 4 firework it had almost 2 months to get thoroughly damp. I was expecting that tape to end with “exhibit A” in the maiming of juvenile X. Luck favors fools and little children, so it’s a good thing they were both.

c.Tech
September 21st, 2006, 01:01 AM
Here’s a good one. The title says it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ldjnwu8MA&mode=related&search=

EDIT: Ouch!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiQ4yDOIns&NR

Bert
September 21st, 2006, 02:00 AM
Luck or a long piece of visco have saved many a fool.

nbk2000
September 21st, 2006, 08:22 AM
I saw something neat in the video set to the 'Bodies hit the floor' song...a gallon of nitromethane burning. :)

A very hot and clean flame, with none of the sooty smoke like you get from burning gas or kerosene.

Looks like a very good fuel for firebombs, flamethrowers, or PMJB-style FAE's.

Syke
September 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM
Looks like a very good fuel for firebombs, flamethrowers, or PMJB-style FAE's.

It seemed to burn a little too fast to really be effective. the explosion really didnt stick to the ground so its probably noot that good of an incindeary.

Sausagemit
September 22nd, 2006, 12:55 AM
NM burns really good if it comes into contact with what you wan't to burn in liquid form. It burns so quick though that it would not work so good for a flame thrower. But if you coated something or someone with it and then ignited it ;)

NM burns at about 2400 °C and requires much less oxygen to combust than gasoline and has a higher burn rate. So NM would probabbly work very well for a fuel air bomb.

Pretty much every drag racing accident you see where the car bursts into flames is a NM alcohol mixture. If you watch really closely you can't see smoke in the initial flash like you can with gasoline explosions. The smoke comes later from everything else on the car burning.

Or just like this crash (http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/carexplode.html).

nbk2000
September 22nd, 2006, 07:48 AM
The use of NM as a flamethrower fuel would depend on what it was you wanted to burn.

If you wanted to burn people by direct flame, without any annoying smoke or residual fire to complicate things, then an extremely hot and non-persistant flame fuel seems the ticket.

NM would also burn in places with limited air supplies, such as caves and tunnels.

Mainly, the smokeless nature of it would be the main attraction, since race car fuel fires (mainly alcohol) are invisible during daylight, and no smoke to draw attention = Win! :)