View Full Version : New ruger 10/22

mark151
December 24th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Hey all. It's been a while since I've last posted, as I accidently ruined my last account(Regular mark). Anyway, I've finally convinced my parents to get me a .22, and it arrives on the 30th. And, like all my toys, it needs improvement. So, does anyone have any suggestions for useful accessories? I allready have a beamshot laser, and 1 extra mag, but now what? I was thinking some hi-caps, but what kind are reliable? Also, would it be possible to turn the 10/22 into a tec-22 style weapon for home defense? How are those hellstorm and other systems for the 10/22? What's your favorite .22 ammo?
Thanks and happy hollidays

Jacks Complete
January 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Hey Mark,

I have a 25 round Butler Creek mag, which is very reliable. Get the one with the steel feed lips.

You can get lots of different stocks and the like, search around google for somewhere near you.

Forget "Favorite" ammo! Get two boxes of as many types as you can afford, and a stack of targets. Get it on paper, then write each ammo type on a different target. Before you shoot a test target, shoot at least ten rounds through it to gunk it with that type of ammo.
Bench at least 10 rounds into each target from a different box, and then do 50 if you have time, with 25 free or slung or elbow-rested, and 25 bench-rested. From this, you will narrow down which brands shoot best. Also, take a notepad, and jot down any misfires, and jams, and how big the flash from the port and muzzle are.
Afterwards, you will see that the expensive stuff sometimes shoots better, and sometimes doesn't. Each gun likes one brand more than the rest, espcially semi-autos. If there are two winners, just shoot the cheapest one! I settled on the copper-wash Remington, and the non-copper wash version.
However, my Ruger doesn't shoot worth shit, so I have to get it sorted when I have the time and money. I have shot many Ruger 10/22s but they all by far outshot mine. :(

I have no idea what the laws on silencers is like in Canada, but they aren't really worth it, imo, on the Ruger. They take out the sharp blast/crack of the bullet leaving the muzzle if it is sub-sonic, but not the noise from supersonic shock. However, you still get quite a lot of noise from the action, including more backblast, as the pressure stays higher for longer. Don't bother if it is a massive hassle, basically.

A hellstorm would be fun, I am sure!

keith
January 10th, 2004, 02:04 PM
.22 shorts, a reflex silencer, and a 4x scope is all I have on mine and I kill birds in my neighbors back yard with him in it and he doesnt notice! Actually the birds are in his big pecan tree but its funny as hell whn he hears/sees them fall for what he thinks is no reason. The first time I shot a short through my silencer I though it misfired...all you can hear is the fireing pin click I swear!!!! Its fucking awsome. Now if you'll excuse me some birds/cats need to die.

Chemical_burn
January 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM
hey Keith got any pics I would love to see your gun. Its not that I dont believe yaz. Its just that I personally find it hard to believe that someone can easily aquire a reflex silencer unless they manufactured it themselves. If this is the case theb please feel free to post any and all information about it as I is very dificult to find any information on relfex silencers that pertains to DIY.

keith
January 10th, 2004, 10:27 PM
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html
I made mine myself using PVC pipe, washers, and alittle epoxy. Use your imagenation, theyre easy to make with very little tools at all. If you really want I could post a pic but I dont have a camera, I'd have to use my friends.

Well I'm bored so I'll just explain:
buy:1 foot of 1.5" PVC pipe
2 end caps to fit the pipe
4 bolts(I use 1/4"x2')
2 washer with an OD close to 1.5 and an Id close to .5"
JB weld(epoxy)
roll of electricle tape

Drill a 3/4" hole in the center of one cap and put it on one side of the PVC pipe.
Slide the cap over your barrel with the PVC pipe facing forward toward the muzzle.
The cap should be against your stock, Tape it securely.
Drill 4 holes into the PVC pipe 1 inch down from the muzzle of your barrell. The holes should be evenly spaced around it as to make four opposite corners. Make sure a screw isnt directly on top because it will block the veiw of your scope.
Screw the bolts into the holes an even amount so that your barrel is centered in the pipe.
Unless you barrel is really long there will be enough room to epoxy the washers infront of your muzzle. evenly space them between the muzzle and the end of the PVC pipe.
Drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the other cap.
secure other cap on the front of the PVC pipe.
Put a cleaning rod down your barrel and use that to aline you silencer. Use the four screws to adjust it.(only took me about 5 min to get it perfect)
Make sure screws are very tight and cleaning rod doesnt touch the silencer at all when holding the gun with the barrel pointing stright up(so gravity doesnt bend the rod)
Test fire
If it blows apart your front cap, your suppressor wasnt adjusted correctly. Replace a new front cap and try again. It is unlikely the bullet will hit the washers because the holes in them are 1/2" instead of 1/4".
Do not glue anything except the washers. Just use tape.
Only use .22 short ammo. .22long rifle is too, loud.
High rise scope mounts may be need but werent for mine.
My suppressor is one so tight it has never once moved(and Ive bumped it hard),never the less, be carefull and gentle with it!
Good luck and dont shoot into the air!

shooter3
January 10th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Mine didn't shoot well either. I took it apart and cleaned out a half spoon of milling chips and that fixed it. I put on a folding stock and that made it much more fun and easier to get good groups.

mikey
January 11th, 2004, 08:34 AM
The best 10/22 i ever used was my mates. It had an 18 inch match stainless bull barrel, match reciver, match trigger, extended magazine release, a compensator and he had a tasco red dot site on it, personally i would have gone for a simmons 1.5-5 by 20, but it wasn't my gun. He uses it to compeat in practicle compentitons so has loads and loads of steel lipped "hot lips" mag, which i have never seen fail. In regards to ammo rugers can be very fussy on what they like. His will only shoot "winchester wild cats" , but my other mates will only shoot "eley club" and "match". personally though i go for CCi "stinger" or "mini mag" as they have more of a poke to them. ow and before i forget my mates gun has one of those "Dragunov Style Stock" they make the gun really nice to handle. I think he got the gun from "rimfire magic" in the uk.

www.rimfiremagic.co.uk

Bert
January 12th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Keith-
You just admitted to commiting a federal crime. You are an idiot.

keith
January 12th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Actually, silencers are legal if it is only a hollow tube. You can by them legaly with no forms to sign out of many catalogs in the US. I used to have a "silencer" that was just a hollow tube and it worked fine, same princpal of gas dispersion over a lengthend period of time.
Hundreds of people have admitted to making illegal things. I think it is NBK who made the thread about NG. He has pics and evreything. You wouldnt dare call him any rude names. No balls Bert? If I had the time, Im pretty sure I could find something youve admitted too.

Bert
January 12th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Take a careful look at my posts, Keith. I work with pyrotechnics as a professional, under ATFE license. And as far as insulting NBK- He doesn't need it. Nor did he start the thread you refer to. Believe me, I'm calling you an idiot based on a lot more than you being dumb enough to describe building something illegal in the first person in an open forum. Please, take your "reflex silencer" down to the regional ATFE office, tell them you built it and ask if it's OK with them. Please... You're young, ignorant, TV brainwashed and won't listen to people who have experience. You think you're going to go off to the service and be a glorious American hero? You're going to have to smarten up damn fast or become a statistic. I know the hormones make it hard, but try listening instead of talking for a while.

And if y'all want to use your 10-22 quietly, try getting some of the Aguila SSS rounds and an aftermarket barrel with a tight enough twist to stabilize them (http://www.outdoorguides.com/outdoor/rug1022.htm#Aguila barrels)

Those of you who think you know everything are particularly annoying to those of us who do.

edit: These guys have the barrels in stock. (http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC19MZ7)

Rhadon
January 12th, 2004, 10:47 AM
You're going to have to smarten up damn fast or become a statistic. He already is a statistic :D.

Speakle
January 13th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I have a ruger 10/22 with the stainless barrel. A lot of fun for just plinking things. I have a clip loader that you snap the clips onto and there is a little button on the side and everytime you press it a bullet gets loaded into the clip. Its nice to have when loading up those 30rd clips. I think it is made by a company called eagle. It does jam a lot but I think its worth the $15-$20. I found mine at a local gun show.