View Full Version : 11 year old in UK arrested over treehouse...

xyz
December 31st, 2003, 05:48 AM
http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8268831%255E13762,00.html

The gestapo are getting stricter. This kid was locked in a cell for 6 hours and had mugshots, fingerprints, and a DNA sample taken, all because he was building a treehouse in a public park.

zeocrash
December 31st, 2003, 08:33 AM
i do think 6 hours in a cell is a bit extreme, but the kid was chopping apart trees in the park with a hacksaw.

xyz
December 31st, 2003, 08:50 AM
OK, the article I read neglected to mention that...

It's not the cell time that I would be worried about, it would be that the pork would have a record of my fingerprints and DNA.

PHAID
December 31st, 2003, 07:37 PM
Who is to say that they dont get DNA samples from hospitals from standard tests?
I wouldnt be suprised if some countries dont do it when you are borne.

The Anarch
January 1st, 2004, 05:44 AM
It doesn't matter what he was doing, the kid is fucking ELEVEN. They treat him like a criminal because the kid wanted to build a tree house? Jesus fucking Christ, those limey bastards should be killed.

And "Police said they were responding to complaints from neighbours about anti-social behaviour."

Anti-social behavior? What kind of horse shit is that? This really upsets me. The poor kid wants to build a tree house, and he gets this shit. Sure, it was on public property. They definitely had a reason to maybe tell him to stop, but no. They force that shit on him. Now i'm so mad i wanna go pound an old lady's head in with a brick.

chemwarrior
January 1st, 2004, 10:41 PM
Anarch, chill out.

Its pretty sad when they arrest little kids over a shit like that... just shows where society is going. The cell time was one thing, teach the kid not to do it again, but the fingerprinting and DNA??? Now THAT is some bullshit.

Flake2m
January 2nd, 2004, 02:50 AM
While this does sound like bullshit. The article doesn't really tell us much. For all we know the kid could have bad mouthed to cops when they asked him to stop and then tried to assult them. Now I dont support the cops an the way they handled this, but I don't know the full story either. If the kid was disrespectful and being a little brat, then he probaly deserved a few hours in a cell.

I have seen things that could have ended peacefully turn out very nasty, simply because the persons involved decided to be rude and disrespectful. If this is the case, then the boy needs to learn some manners.

Anthony
January 2nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
I'm with flake2m here. You think "the kid was 11 and playing in a park, what real harm could he have been doing?".

But, just as likely, the kid was a little bastard sitting up that tree throwing stones at the windows of the mentioned local residents.

He might have been printed/had DNA taken as a general policy, whereby all persons arrested are printed. The desk guy might have said "do we really need to print a kid?", and chances are the serg pointed to the guideline that says "All detained persons..." and told him to get on with it.

Of course, it could be exactly as it's being told and is just yet another story of bureaucracy.

megalomania
January 3rd, 2004, 01:37 AM
Buerocracy sound more like it. Remember civil servents are slaves to procedure since they lack the ability of independant thought, if they were smart to begin with they wouldn't choose to be civil servants :) Keeping the kid in a cell was probably for his own good if there were drunks and real felons about. It is probably policy to hold the kid until the parents are found, although most police stations in the world would probably have driven the kid home.

I think by now we should not be shocked that the gestapo acts like the gestapo.

Ollie Snowie
January 3rd, 2004, 09:52 AM
Something similar to this got right into the Guardian newspaper a few weeks ago; some girl had a tree house that had been made without planning permission, and her father payed for lawyers and took it to court when the council stuck their snout in! For a TREE HOUSE! It was PUBLISHED IN THE GUARDIAN. The poor girl will be wishing that she had never been alive (or maybe just never had a treehouse), what with the embarrassment! Oh well, at least everyone who reads the guardian will know our town as the place where people will take petty stuff like this to court :rolleyes:. It's nice to know how the whole town of [the place where it rains] is just laughing stock for the newspapers.

nitric63
January 3rd, 2004, 07:01 PM
Hmm, this reminds me of a story I read about a few months ago in which police shut down a little girl's lemonade stand(I think it happened in some town in florida however I'm not certain about this) because she had no permit. However this was after an asshole neighbor filed a complaint about it and it was the law that the police have to do something if someone complains about the lack of permit. The town ended up granting the girl a permit for free though so it has a happy ending.

streety
January 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
although most police stations in the world would probably have driven the kid home.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It might be against policy.

I can't remember where I heard this so it could be complete rubbish but apparrently the police refused to drive a woman home when they arrested her boyfriend and on the journey home she was raped.