View Full Version : Two possible lead Azide replacements?

Unknown
January 6th, 2004, 02:58 AM
The U.S. Army is looking to replace Lead Azide with ENTA or DAAT-NOx due to the effect that Lead Azide has on the evironment. Info on this can be found at the following link.
It would be interesting for us to do our own research (theoretical of course) to see what conclusion we can come to regarding a suitable replacement.
www.serdp.org/research/PP/PP-1364.pdf (http://www.serdp.org/research/PP/PP-1364.pdf)

vulture
January 6th, 2004, 04:21 PM
That seem two rather costly replacements to me, especially for the amateur chemist.

mongo blongo
January 6th, 2004, 06:04 PM
They don't really seem to be worth the trouble either, unless your a hippy. Although they are interesting I don't think we have any hippies here (do we?:p ) and since I don't give a fuck about the environment......

Bert
January 6th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Has anyone heard anything about these two primaries?

KDNBF (Potassium Dinitrobenzotrifuroxan)

DXN-1 (Mercuric 5-Nitrotetrazole)

Mr Cool
January 6th, 2004, 07:04 PM
I've had a few basic attempts at making 5-nitrotetrazole (and then salts thereof), but all attempts to oxidise my 5-aminotetrazole have so far resulted in decomposition :(.
DAAT-NOx interests me, since I have a large supply of 5-aminotetrazole, which would probably make a good precursor... anyone know of a patent # of any relevance? I'll have a search myself tomorrow, it's late now...

The Anarch
January 7th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I'm not a hippy, but I do care about the environment. I think ecoterrorist would be a better description of me.

Bert
January 7th, 2004, 02:32 AM
I found synthesis for KDNBF and DXN-1 in Hardt's Pyrotechnics, with the information that they were suited for stab, hot wire and flash sensitive dets. I could post a photo of the diagrams on the "other explosives" section if anyone was interested-

kingspaz
January 7th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Diagrams are ALWAYS good :)