View Full Version : Source of Hexamine

kevinrug
January 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Hello,
I've been reading the forum for the past few months. I have not found anything about a direct source of hexamine (hexamethylenetetramine). I searched the internet and found a couple sources. The first is the coleman fuel tablets shown here http://trailquest.net/dlgchxtab.html
the price is 4.00 for a box of 24 tablets. total weight is 6ounces, I think 7g per tablet.
shipping seems reasonable if order 10 or so boxes. ( 1 box shipping is 6.00)
I'd like input on whether people think this is good pricing. They only ship to USA Addresses.

The other site I found was http://www.wrightcorp.com/hcho_hexa/index.htm#top.
This company states it is (one of?) the largest manufacturers of hexamine. The web page shows 50pound bag. I don't have a price. Has anyone dealt with them in obtaining hexamine?
(they also sell Formaldehyde)

wrench352
January 7th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Have you ever looked inside a flagpole?

SpiffyVision
January 7th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Why are these threads put in the water cooler? This could have gone in the chemicals section.

Hang-Man
January 7th, 2004, 10:32 PM
becasue people are afraid of getting their shit ruined for breaking rule. Its a good thing too becasue there is allready a theread about OTC chems and Hexamine, this would have fit into either one.

tom haggen
January 8th, 2004, 12:46 AM
I have herd hexamine is in those hand warmers. I read that on this website. I have a good Idea on which hand warmers are the good ones. thier the ones with the white goopy shit inside, and a litte metal disc about the size of a quarter. When you crack the disk the inside solidifies and puts off heat. I like posting in the water cooler.

ShadowAlchemist
January 8th, 2004, 01:13 AM
We used to retail 24pkt Hexamine fuel tablets for $AUD 5.00
Tablets were about 2cm in diameter and 1cm deep. Im not exactly sure of the weight p/tablet but you sound on the money. Your local disposal/camping store should stock these no problem.
A guy came in one day and wanted 20 boxes of 24 once. I ordered 24 for him and gave him a big smile at the registar. Just say you are tasked to buy supplies for the upcoming girl guide camp ;)

Wild Catmage
January 8th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Reuseable hand warmers:
"This reusable heat packet can keep hands and feet warm for up to one hour. Heats up to 130-degrees Fahrenheit in just 15 seconds. Sodium acetate and water are activated by bending a metal disk inside the pouch. When heat runs out, pouch can be activated for reuse by boiling six minutes until packet is back to liquid form." - http://www.summitpost.com/details/Reusable-Hand-Warmer/881.html

Single use hand warmers:
"...is a soft lightweight pouch containing a mixture of iron powder, charcoal, salt, sawdust and vermiculite that reacts to the air ... and oxidation process takes place." - http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/heatfactory/heatdes/warmers.htm

You can also get ones that burn fuel sticks (charcoal I think).

tom haggen
January 8th, 2004, 01:38 PM
well sounds like I was wrong. I swear I read somewhere on this site that you can obtain hexamine from those disposible hand warmers

kevinrug
January 8th, 2004, 03:41 PM
<tongue-in-cheeck> Ok kids, lets all take our meds shall we? :) </tongue-in-cheeck>

So maybe I was unclear. When I said direct I meant able to buy direct from the web, ie without having to be seen purchasing said items.

ShadowAlchemist: thanks for the input. Sounds like it is about the same to order from the web source or from local brick and mortar.

However, I'd still like to know if anyone has gotten bulk hexamine. Doesn't a 50lb bag sound nice? The other attractive feature of wrightcorp hex is it comes in a granular/powder form. No grinding/crushing needed.

thrall
January 8th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Formalin(37% Formaldehyde) is sold in biology stores that keeps frogs for disections etc..They sell it OTC,I mean they don't ask for anything and you can easily get 5ltr. jar. Household amonia or amonium hyraoxide can be purchased at anywhere without any questions.

well I made my hexemine this way;).

kevinrug
January 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks to Voyager for the links in this thread
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3552

Firefox has hexamine for 5.70/lb. shipping 3.15.
http://www.firefox-fx.com/ChemG-H.htm

You have to fax/mail them a copy of photo id before you can order.

Speakle
January 13th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Is the hexamine united nuclear sells not work? They have it for a dollar an ounce. I am sure there is a reason but I am just trying to help.

Bert
January 13th, 2004, 06:25 PM
United Nuclear is possibly the most expensive pyro supplier in existence.

blindreeper
January 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
I work on metric but isn't an ounce 28g approx.? $1 for 28g! That is utterly insane. Fuel tablets I can get 150g for $2.35 which is probably about $1.20 US. If you buy from united nuclear you will be united with all the other pyro's who got ripped off.

Mumble
January 13th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Hexamine will go for about $170 for 50 pounds. That is what it is listed at from a bulk supplier. That works out to $3.39 a pound. Shipping on 50 pounds is probably about $25 or 30. Maybe more depending on where you live.

Speakle
January 14th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I agree that united nuclear is expensive. I dont use hexamine but other chems I have purchased from them have been expensive.

inikamoze1
March 25th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Once you've bought hexamine camping tablets don't they have to be purified before use in any synthesis because they aren't 100% pure hexamine?

kingspaz
March 25th, 2004, 06:26 PM
depends what tablets you have. all the fuel tablets i've ever bought have been pure hex. but there are exceptions as many people have also said they have found wax coated ones. so to cut a short story shorter, it depends what tablets and what synthesis you're doing. also, purification isn't exactly hard.

wrench352
March 25th, 2004, 09:33 PM
OK,SWIwrench has bought from pyrotek several times and never had to fill out any pesky paperwork. Hexamine is a little pricey at $7.60 a lb.

On the other hand if there isnt enough excitement in your life. Theres a "fire sale" going on at our friends here:
http://www.expeditedchemicals.com/
And hey dig the fancy new web page,also know those prices are Canadian,so give yourself a 25% discount for bein American. So (and Im sorry for my convoluted math,its not my strong point) 750gms for $7.60(CAD) =$9.50/Kg(CAD). Thats like $4.75 for more than lb and were still talkin Canadian dollars.

Personally from conversations with the guy(I heard) that runs the outfit,I think hes a member here. Also Ive known people that have ordered from him more than a year ago and repetedly and the JBT havent kicked their door in yet. Though that really remains to be seen.I also heard he goes out of his way to do right by his custumers.

Have fun! Also if anyone here has had a bad experience with this guy let me know.And do me a favor,tell em wrench sent ya,but behave yourself dont ruin this source.

atlas#11
March 25th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I broke off a flag pole once, I didn't think to look for hexamine, just ran away :p .

I just gave up on looking for fuel tablets and ordered from nuclear. Sure their prices are high but I only order once in a blue moon and they are trying to raise funds for their desert blast get together, so I help them out. Any ways they are fairly nice people with decient service. Youd think they could come down on their prices though, and when did they stop carring KClO4? I ordered a pound and that's more than I'll need for a while. HMTD and RDX are all I'll ever dream about that include hexamine, so a pound will doo for the rest of my life. RDX is not the cheapest explosive to make either so I wouldn't use it for blasting if I could.

MightyQuinnŽ
March 25th, 2004, 11:17 PM
I broke off a flag pole once, I didn't think to look for hexamine, just ran away :p .

No disrespect intended, but I don't get it.

A regular search of Ebay turns up one particular user who sells them (Hexamine Tablets) all the time.....for around 6.99 US (Hint, Hint.) Ebay is a GREAT bountiful array of interesting (read 'useful') items.

Also a search of Google turns up a couple of suppliers of cheap Hexamine.

IMHO, this is a no brainer, but who am I to moderate. :D

Ropik
April 12th, 2004, 11:20 AM
When you must purify hexa fuel tablets, just dissolve crushed ones in boiling water. Let the water cool. Waxes and usually even binders(when some are present in actual tablet) will melt and form a solid layer on the water. Discard it and let the rest evaporate.
I also hear about washing pulverized tablets with acetone or some other wax-dissolving solvent(gasoline should work). I did not tried this, so I do not know if this will work.