View Full Version : Myrol and nitroesters

nuclearattack
January 10th, 2004, 07:19 AM
i found 5 liters of methyl alcool and i'm very interested about myrol (methyl nitrate), it is very powerfull and brisance but it is also very volatile and must be well stabilized (like all nitroesters).
I think the best choice is to make a plastic explosive with it, so it is more stable and easy to manage. I made a search in the forum but seems that nobody is very interested about myrol, i found very little posts with poor informations. Finally i found a synthesis procedure in KIPE 2, after the nitration they extract myrol by distillation, why myrol can't be extracted as nitroglycerin?
It's better and easy to use a separatory funnel instead of a distillation apparatus.
Can i nitrate methyl as for nitroglycerin? I think i can use the same procedure and separation process.
i'd like to have some tips on myrol synthesis or a complete procedure.
Another question: can i nitrate ethyl alcool as the others esters?

------------------
I already told you to work on your language. Use capitalization. I'm not going to tell you again!

Rhadon

vulture
January 10th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Although methylnitrate (have you searched this keyword on the forum?) is VERY powerful and rather simple to prepare, it has some rather vicious properties.

For example, the destillation is not without any hazard, as methylnitrate is very sensitive, both to heat and shock. Also, methylnitrate is already somewhat volatile at room temperature and the fumes are very toxic, causing even more fierce headaches than glycerinetrinitrate.