View Full Version : Apache Sniping

McGyver
January 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Read the article and watch the video, I can also post another site where i original watched it first.

Apache (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/US/apache_video_040109-1.html)
:eek:

xyz
January 13th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Please post the other site, this one doesn't want to work.

ALENGOSVIG1
January 13th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Works for me.

SpiffyVision
January 13th, 2004, 11:44 PM
I dont want to have to pay, is it on the internet anywhere else?

McGyver
January 14th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Ok here it is, didn't post it the first time becuase i didnt feel like looking at the source code of the site..

apache 30mm nose gun, explosive rounds (http://www.newsfilter.org/user_submit/uploads/apache_NEW.wmv)

Nicker
January 14th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Shitt, thats all i can say, explosive rounds loook prertty scarry. i got some brass caseings from 20mm and 30mm shells and their pretty big to begin with, add explosives to it and thats just scarry. "The 30mm gun systems were very lethal and destroyed targets at ranges out to 4 kilometers when accurate." ...each gun firing 7-8 rounds per second. One scarry long distance gun.

------------
Although you're posting in the Water Cooler you should take yourself a bit more time to type up your post.

Rhadon

SpiffyVision
January 14th, 2004, 01:05 AM
That is quite sick IMO, after that first guy whos shot while walking back to the truck in the field, you can see his various pieces scattered with the heat vision, or that could just be the ground... welcome to your average combat day in war...

xyz
January 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM
ALEGOSVIG1, I am sorry if I worded that confusingly, what I meant is that the video won't work unless you pay for it. The link works fine.

Thanks for posting the second one McGyver.

Wild Catmage
January 14th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Four kilometres is quite a distance. the rag-heads probably didn't have a clue as to where the shots were coming from :D

However, the therrmal image in the video isn't perfect, and unless that whitish thing about 11 seconds into the video is some sort of field gun, how do we know that the people on the recieving end aren't innocents? Many of the civilians in Iraq carry shoulder arms.

The Soviet Mi-24 Hind was reported to be able to fire accurately over distances of 1km with its four-barrel 12.7mm machine gun during the Afghanistan war (1972-1988).

Sparky
January 14th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I think Nicker was saying the gun is accurate ot 4 km, not necessarily that they were firing that far in the video.

I find this video very interesting. There are a few questions I have about it. Probably because I don't know all that much about military stuff. We hear a gun firing in the beginning of the video, is that a different gun on the helicopter, firing somewhere else?

I wonder what the thing was that the guy came out the top of (or at least that's what it looked like). My first reaction was that it might be a tank but I don't know about that... Maybe a farm machine since it looks like it was grooming the ground or something from the trail behind it.

Im surprised the second guy didn't take cover before unwrapping his thing, he might have made it. I think they had no idea of how closely they were being watched. You think the last guy might have made it if he hid behind the truck, and didn't crawl out like he did (?) I remember seeing a bombing video of the same nature, and if the targets had just stayed still it would have been much harder to see them and they may have been overlooked. But they kept crawling around and getting up to run away. I mean, jeeze where are you gonna run to anyways?

McGyver
January 14th, 2004, 09:08 PM
The nose cannon on the apache apperantly has a range finder which automaticaly finds and stores the distance of the taget into the computer. What happens in the beggining is that the gunner didn't have the right range on the target. You can here him say "fuck" because the first shots they fired probably landed either farther or closer then the target. The nose gunner can also rotate the gun in any direction, as you can see in the video. You can hear the pilot and gunner talking about this.

So that leaves a few questions of my own. Did they hear the helicopter hovering around, and what did they think of the shots that missed them and exploded not to far away?

Interesting point about that guy trying to unwrap something, maybe it was stinger.

SpiffyVision
January 14th, 2004, 09:29 PM
It could have been a stinger, if they WERE 4 km away, would they have heard the helicopter?

Flake2m
January 15th, 2004, 10:23 AM
There are two aircraft mounted 30mm cannons I know of. The first is the GAU-8/A avenger cannon which is mounted on the A-10. A short burst From the GAU-8/A can shred a tank in seconds. the GAU-8/A is has 7 barrels and is too big for the apache.

The other type of cannon is the M-320 which is on the apache and the one you saw in the video.
The M-230 is a smaller cannon the then the GAU-8 as it has only a single barrel and a lower rate of fire.
The M230 does have high explosive incendary ammo which do contain copper linears. There are also DU ammo avaliable to use.
As you have already gathered a 30mm cannon is overkill when dealing with human targets. I would hate to see what those guys looked like after they had been with 30mm ammo if there was anything left, not to mention the damage to truck the cannon would have caused.

shooter3
January 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Soldiers pretending to be farmers. A real farmer would have hit the deck or took off running.
That guy unwrapping the gun/missle kept his cool under fire. Now he is cool, or at least ambient temperature.
It's sad to see someone die like that. The ragheads should quit.

Flake2m
January 16th, 2004, 01:10 AM
I have had a look at that video footage quite a few times now. There are some things I noticed:

1. If you look at the bottom right corner you will see the range and amount of ammo the M320 has left. I am not sure what measurement the range is in, but knowing the Yanks it is proably Feet or Yards.
2. The people in the photo dont seem to be carrying any weapons such as AKs and there seems to be no outline of heavy weapons in the video.
3. There are 3 trucks one has a semi trailer on it the other one looks like a dump truck and the third is a ute all of them get shredded by the apaches cannon.
4. At the start of the video there is cannon fire but you don't see any bullets flying (they show up on the thermal camera because they are hot) this is due to the cannon I think being not configured properly. As a result the bullets dont land where the crosshair is pointing.

If those people that were shot up were not combatants I wouldn't be surprised since there were no weapons. The footage from that camera is only a small portion of the total flight time anyway so we don't see the big picture.

McGyver
January 17th, 2004, 03:56 AM
found an extened video... http://home.comcast.net/~antman01/apache_mission_in_iraq.avi

It does look like an RPG they guy droped of, but the apache literaly killed a few farmers Joes because at least one guy had to own that field and tractor.

NightStalker
January 17th, 2004, 04:57 AM
If farmer Akhem lets some terr use his fields to stage an attack on american soldiers...hey, shit happens in the form of 30mm HE cannon shells! :p

Chemical_burn
January 17th, 2004, 05:36 AM
^^^ as Nightstalker points out it doesnt mater if there were noncombatants there they are leting teroriest use there field to hide weapons they die too.

Also Farke2m the US military is like every other military out there we do it right by using the Metric system ;)

shooter3
January 17th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Anyone got any idea why the first link works, but the second one comes thru with audio and music graphics, no vidio.

Dave Angel
January 17th, 2004, 02:26 PM
shooter3, it needs the divx codec which can be got hold of at http://www.divx.com just download their simplest (free) package.