View Full Version : Lethal Insulin

ShadowAlchemist
January 14th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Well I dont know about you guys, but I have only just learned that a high dosage of insulin can render a non-diabetic subject into a debilatating coma which they will most likely never recover from. I guess i blame my lack of education on the lack of documentation or publicity regarding this type of incident.
What i mean is, when was the last time you heard of someone dying after administering insulin.
Apart from a diabetic failing to increase blood sugar level after an injection.
I'm presuming you all know the objective of insulin, when it comes to a diabetic person, but is everyone aware of the possible consequences when it comes to a non-diabetic person?
From another perspective, one can easily see the obvious advantages in using readily available insulin as a means to neutralize.

eldee50
January 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM
insulin as a neutralization agent may not be advantageous - slow acting comapred to existing neutralization agents, and requires direct injection.

Fergus
January 24th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Insulin is a very slow acting medicine if one wishes to neutralize another person, also the signs and symptoms of an insulin overdose are easily identified and just as easily counteracted. If one wishes to neutralize a person within a matter of seconds, it is necessary to use one of the cholinergic antagonists such as succinylcholine and even that has to be injected but it works within 5 seconds and unless someone has an Ambu bag around or is capable of intubating the person, they are quite dead from suffocation.

streety
January 24th, 2004, 04:07 PM
The only possible use might be in avoiding detection was your target has died. They probably don't test for elevated levels of insulin during a post mortem although the lowered glucose level might arouse suspicion. There is also the problem of injecting the insulin. If your target stuggles it will leave quite an obvious mark on them.

nbk2000
January 26th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Only natural human insulin would stand a chance of evading detection. Synthetic and semi-synthetic (Humalin) would show up in an toxicology screening because they lack certain proteins which natural insulin has.

Also, the injection site would have to be very clever to avoid being found by a dedicated pathologist. Injecting the insulin through the urethra (pee hole), underneath an eyelid, or soft palette would be good places, though getting the victim to hold still for it without obvious bruising becomes the problem.