View Full Version : Interesting Videos

SpiffyVision
January 17th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I found this exploding fireworks factory quite amazing, watch the whole the thing:

And if all of you have already seen it which I highly doubt, accpet my appologies.

http://www.media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=fireworkfactory.wmv

Theres also this one of an ammonium perchlrorate plant in Nevada near Vegas:

http://www.exponent.com/multimedia/movies/hend_sm.mov Apparently it had the same force as 1.5 million pounds of TNT.

With the exploding fireworks factory, there is another video out there somewhere, but the guy captured it from accross the street. I wouldnt mind getting closer to the action.

Any other videos relating to this, please post:D

Arkangel
January 17th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I wouldnt mind getting closer to the action

Fuckin hell mate...CLOSER?:eek:

I don't think you could be much closer and live - that was a BIG explosion.

I get the impression that there were 2 different cameras in the fireworks clip. The 2 big explosions might just be one, from different angles. The slo-mo one is amazing - you can see the shockwave kicking dust up from rooftops as it heads toward the cameraman

The AP plant is cool as well.+/-9 secs to hear it, they were what, 3.5k away?

SpiffyVision
January 17th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Well I remember seeing it on a show called Max-X, the video above was from the same camera man and angle. There were two different explosions when I saw the video on the Max-X show, the last one wiped out the camera. The same with this one too I guess

Anyways, if anyone see's any other interesting videos post them here...

EP
January 17th, 2004, 02:14 PM
The camera man (maybe there were two in that clip and the second half is from somebody else) was killed if I remember correctly. You would NOT want to be any closer to that...

Luckily nobody was hurt in the AP plant accident and the footage is amazing.

vulture
January 17th, 2004, 06:34 PM
The first footage was shot in May 2000, Enschede, The Netherlands. About 20 people were killed, mostly by blast pressure and flying debris. About 400 homes were inhabitable.

The plant had about 150tons of fireworks in stock, some estimates say there was up to 1000kg of flashpowder packed loosely into big sacks of 50kg and several hundred kilograms of blackpowder lying around.

The fireworks were being stored in normal sea containers, no special safety precautions...

EDIT: The commentary on the slow motion says that the blast wave rips the roofs off the houses, it's not just dust.

Apparently it had the same force as 1.5 million pounds of TNT.

1,5 megapounds?? That's a tactical nuke!

BTW, what served as the fuel? NH4ClO4 needs a fuel to continue to burn.

Blackhawk
January 17th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Can't NHClO4 detonate? There was a lot of burning before the two large explosions, perhaps the temperature and pressure got enough to cause a detonation. The Aerotech rocketry factory in Navada blew up a while ago, and the main oxidiser in Ammonium Perchlorate, so I don't know if this video is actually their plant. If it is however there would be an ample supply of 600+mesh Al powder and 1000 mesh Mg powder, as well as burn rate catalysts and flamable polymer fuel around the place that would burn very fiercly.

Dave Angel
January 17th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Ah, I remember the fireworks factory fire, the Netherlands didn't give their vote on the Eurovision that year because of it.

I wonder how many innocent people the pyrotechnics and HE industry has killed in accidents and how many we have? And who is leagally allowed to continue to manufacture?

hmmm...

tom haggen
January 17th, 2004, 11:56 PM
in that first video is that narrator speaking dutch?

Blackhawk
January 18th, 2004, 01:13 AM
You are a retard....
Earlier this thread.
--------------------------------
The first footage was shot in May 2000, Enschede, The Netherlands. About 20 people were killed, mostly by blast pressure and flying debris. About 400 homes were inhabitable.
--------------------------------

One would think that this would answer your question quite nicely, more so than you stupid fucking one line answer demanding post with no capitol letters.

vulture
January 18th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Yes, he's speaking dutch. FYI, that's an official language, not some redneck dialect from down south...:rolleyes:

I've been searching a bit on that AP plant blast.

Apparently, AP was being stored in aluminium barrels normally, but they ran out. So they used polyethylene barrels, which ignited at 150C. Some welding sparks found their way to one (WTF is going to weld near AP barrels????) and it ignited. The heat caused the confined Al barrels to explode, cracking a 300psi natural gas line beneath the factory (WTF runs a natural gas line beneath an AP factory??) and the rest is history...

That's why the last part of the video has a comparison between "gas" and "no gas".

warren
January 18th, 2004, 04:13 PM
What the hell? Was there a fire before or did they all of a sudden just go off? Because how would those cameras get there?

hodio
January 18th, 2004, 08:45 PM
i have seen the fireworks factory video and I think how is possible to store that quantity of fireworks and explosive just so close to houses..dont have they some kind of protections to avoid that mega explosion?

atlas#11
January 19th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Haha, i lived withen like 30 miles of that perchlorate factory when it blew. That was a while ago, my dad was running construction equipment out closer when it blew and he saw the shockwave roaring across the desert from where he was. As for the fire works factory, sweet. That was a nice blast, but nothing compared to the perchlorate plant.

Flake2m
January 20th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Both explosions would have been more spectacular at night. But seriously those explosions really do demonstrate how powerful explosives can be even id the are only low order comps like BP and flash powder. As much as the videos looked cool I really wouldn't want to be either camera man, because the plave would be like a warzone, with explosion going off and shrapnel/debris flying.

BTW: can someone who speaks dutch post a translation of the commentry said on the firework video?

$0meb0dy
January 20th, 2004, 09:33 AM
He says:
Your seeing the motion pictures now in slow motion, you see the real power of the explosion very clear, the roofs are letterly blown of the houses.

After that explosion in Enschede the firework rules and things related to that are more strickt :( .

Sorry for my possible bad Englisch.

Nitro Tola
January 20th, 2004, 10:51 PM
That was huge, i am humbled by the power of those explosions, beats my backyard blitzing!

ossassin
January 27th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah. We talk strangely, just like you wear wooden shoes, vulture. Nice videos, guys. :)

SpiffyVision
January 27th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Got this from the APC forum:

This site has the exploding fireworks factory on video shot from the street:

http://www.jurrion.nl/

It's under movies > explosions its parts one and two, I do like the roof one better though.

vulture
January 27th, 2004, 01:02 PM
We talk strangely, just like you wear wooden shoes, vulture.

ROFLMAO! You don't actually believe that, do you? The farmers wearing wooden shoes is a rare thing, only seen at places were lots of american and japanese tourists frequent.

Bert
January 27th, 2004, 02:21 PM
After the Enschede incident, fireworks got more difficult EVERYWHERE as the UN conventions on 1.3G fireworks were altered due to this incident. In the US, any shell larger than 8" dia. is now classed as 1.1 (high explosives, no longer low ex.) for purposes of transportation due to the damned fools blaming the class and size of the devices stored at Enschede rather than the INSANE location for such ammounts to be stored. WTF were they thinking to allow an explosives storage facility of ANY kind in such a built up area? Anyway, due to this, we will now have a hellacious time importing large aerial shells as only 2 ports in the entire USA will accept a cargo container marked as high explosives. Not to mention the jolly fun of now driving around a truck labeled as containing HE when trying to do fireworks shows- It really just makes the local police and fire departments SO thrilled and happy when you show up with 1.1 placards for their fireworks show.

Flake2m
January 27th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Black Powder is a low explosive.
I would be much more cautious If I was dealing with a container full of low explosives myself as they are often less sensitive and less stable.
Given the choice what you you rather transport: a ton of C4 explosive or a ton of Black Powder?

As for the Enschede accident. It was waiting to happen. Anyone that has a fully operational fireworks factory in a high density residental area is an idiot.

Bert
January 27th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Given the choice what you you rather transport: a ton of C4 explosive or a ton of Black Powder? I'd rather transport the C-4, assuming no caps in the shipment.

The explosion at Enschede was not a factory. It was a distributor of imported fireworks.

mixojoe
January 28th, 2004, 07:49 AM
how about this exploding sheep video?

http://www.sickindividual.com/downloads/ILoveEwe.WMV

it amazed me

Flake2m
January 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM
That video could almost be classified as a funny.
However since your not a Kiwi you can't post stuff like that. I suggest Mixojoe you re-think what your going to post before you post it. Otherwise you are just going to be another lameass on the very long list of banned users the m[g]ods have.

Bert
January 28th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I was wondering about those velcro gloves in that New Zealand farm equipment catalogue I saw...

SpiffyVision
January 28th, 2004, 06:54 PM
That was the stupidest video ive ever seen in my life.

~Phelixx~
November 3rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Today, a large fireworks factory exploded in Kolding, Denmark. News claims that app. 2000 metric tonnes (yes, 2 mill. kilos) of fireworks exploded. The fire started around 2pm today, and is still on fire (10:45 pm). At 6 pm, a very large explosion occured, that was heard more than 20 km from the scene, which I have on tape.
It is pretty bad quality, since I captured it from my TV with my digital camera, but I am willing to upload it somewhere, if people are interested... Meanwhile some pictures can be found here:

http://i2.tv2.dk/gallery/gallery.php?id=1528475&site=nyhederne.tv2.dk&skin=nyhederne&index=0
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/article.jhtml?articleID=210861#features (by clicking next to the "video" a news report can be shown, although I can't get it to work right now...)
http://politiken.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=343514
http://ekstrabladet.dk/VisArtikel.sasp?PageID=268825&Nr=1
http://www.bt.dk/ (click where it says "billedserie")

(edit: by the way, it seems that the big shutdown has mysteriously eaten some of my posts... Well, thats life)

Gamekeeper
November 13th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Explosions at a US weapon storage site in Iraq:

http://gamekeeper.deds.nl/movies/karkuk.wmv