View Full Version : CAD Program

Miller
January 20th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Well I have been trying to find an alternative CAD program to AutoCAD, and I prefer this alternative to be free. Thus far I have only come across Qcad, which I thought was one of the stupidist CADs I have ever worked with, I Just downloaded a program called tinyCAD. It is not as good as autoCAD, but it is free (both these programs are available at www.sourceforge.com) There are many other computer aided drafting programs out there, but they all seem to be fof Linux (My Linux box is in sore shape right now). I also came across this site: http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm If any one else knows of a good CAD program you can post it here.

tom haggen
January 22nd, 2004, 02:02 AM
Personally I'm quite fond of Solidworks. Unfortunetly for you it is not a free program. If you ever get the chance of working with this software I highly recommend it.

Tuatara
January 22nd, 2004, 04:35 AM
"Not free" gets understatement of the month. Solidworks is something like US$10,000 per seat!

Still, sly copies are not unheard of ;) , and it is damn good (once you figure out how to use it).

Blackhawk
January 22nd, 2004, 04:40 AM
I have 3D studios MAX version3, more of a CGI program but I sometimes use it for CAD, nice bit of programin, I got hacked version curtesy of 'Drink Or Die'. I may upload it sometime if people want it, it is around 300Mb in .rar format IIRC.

tom haggen
January 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
I had 3d studio but I had a hard time learning it so I gave up. It sucks cause I really wanted to do some cool computer animations.

sti571
January 31st, 2004, 05:56 PM
You might want to have a look at:
DESI-III (freeware) 2D CAD system

h*tp://users.telenet.be/desi-iii/index.html

Jacks Complete
February 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM
Everyone,

I think that for a lot of the ideas we discuss on the boards, we need to agree on a standard 2D and 3D CAD package.

If we are going to be designing, for example, a RogueSci LMG, we need to be able to share files as well as ideas, so that we can work on them and improve them- sort of like an open-source project.

What do we think? Or should we just stick with the limits of .DXF?

I think some form of CAD plans for the improvised weapons would be a great asset.

snuk5
February 13th, 2004, 03:35 PM
I agree that it’s a good idea to stick to one particular CAD format.
The standard in CAD is AutoCAD’s DXF.

But this does not mean that we all have to work in that program; other CAD programs such as TurboCad will both save and open DXF format. (Their native format is TCW.)

I have both AutoCAD and TurboCad (and some totally useless stuff as well).
Turbocad Professional V9 is rather more user friendly.

In fact it’s the only thing I use.

You can buy it or you can download it for a try-buy:
http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_52/TurboCADProfessionalv9Trial.exe (a bit over 90 megs big)

If you want to use it until Kingdom Come for free, use a little crack. (Get it from
http://www.cracks.am/main.html.

tom haggen
February 13th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Solidworks sets the standard in 3d drafting. Thats what we should be using, and since I'm extremely efficient at using that program thats my vote. I'm trying to get an ftp set up, ;)

festergrump
February 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=snuk5]The standard in CAD is AutoCAD’s DXF.

I would have to agree, having used several CAD programs to design doors and windows over the last few years. DXF is supported by many programs and can be easily modified to DWG or DWT formats simply by opening and using the "save_as" feature.

Personally, AUTOCAD 2000 is what I prefer because it's what was available to me, but is an outdated system.

Since were talking about spreading a drawing out on the proverbial "table" for all to see/understand/modify/discuss, what's important is a format that is of course adaptable to many various programs (freeware/shareware/bought, right?). DXF, its seems, would be the way to go from my expirience. Most "user friendly" programs support this and also most shareware/freeware.

Note: Being a "Benchman" at a reputable millshop with good computer skills can help you aquire a very workable copy of Autocad... :D It really sucks when your IT guy ain't around and the program "accidently" crashes. You might have to "reinstall" it (oops.. I mean burn a copy for yourself). ;)

snuk5
February 15th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Ja perhaps if we’d want to exchange some 3D stuff, I might second the motion to use Solid works. No problem for me as I have Solid Works 2001 Plus myself.

But to what end I ask –what would we like to submit in 3D onto this site that cannot be given easier in 2D and in a more accessible format?

Methinks that technical drawings should be the primary CAD subject matter on this forum and these should be in 2D and DXF.

Interestingly I drew a preliminary drawing of a hi-temp gas-powered furnace in TurboCAD; it saved in TCW as 32 KB and in DXF as 225 KB - same drawing, different format.

tom haggen
February 29th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Well if I would be willing to accept dxf as the format shared by the forum. fester grump, I'm with you when it comes to prefering acad 2000, I have worked with 2002, and 2004 but I still like 2000 the best. Well I use 2000i but theres not but difference between 2000i and 2000.

phyrelord
March 3rd, 2004, 07:12 PM
kazaa and download it that is the best way in my opinion i have Autocad R14 but plan on downloading 2004 from kazaa. This is pointless however seeing i can use it any time at school. If you need the kazaa lite exe file i have it somewhere i can send it to you. P2P rocks!!!

Jacks Complete
March 3rd, 2004, 08:41 PM
Ok, so Solidworks for 3D and (AutoCAD) DXF for 2D, then.

An interesting development in the near future are machines that will let you create a solid object from a CAD model by addition (built up from liquid, powder, ultrasound welding tape layers, etc.), rather than subtraction (milling, lathework, drilling, etc.). Stereolithography, direct metal sintering, plastic extrusion (Solidworks) and so on will let us all build our designs at home. Just think how cool it would be to hear about a great design on here, download the file, spent £40 on the filler, and have a working model two days later!

Of course, we need to prepare for this day, and have lots of nice 3D CAD models ready! :)

zaibatsu
March 3rd, 2004, 08:52 PM
I've got both Autocad 2004 and Solidworks (not sure of the version) so I'm set then :)

I saw a program on television where they were at Leicester university, and using resin and a lazer, they built up a model layer by layer. I assume that's the stereolithography (sounds like it) you're talking about, it's just amazing to watch. Also the models built up from layers of paper are also interesting, but I feel they may be a little out of our league. CNC machining, while expensive, would allow you to download a 3d model and create something from a block of steel/al, and they're a little more affordable :)

Jacks Complete
March 4th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Ah, yes, but CAD/CAM is very much more difficult and costly.

Something like Direct Metal Sintering (where you melt a steel or other metal based powder with a laser) can do an almost infinite level of complexity without worries about cutting paths, swarf removal, head collisions, etc. and you can embed things into the "solid" block of steel. Plus, you need no skills to make it happen, except for the machine and the model, it runs unattended, and is almost silent!

Are you sure it was Leicester and not Loughborough University? Lboro has a big department, with some of the most advanced machines in the world, and a very wide range.

In other news, http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_52/TurboCADProfessionalv9Trial.exe doesn't work. The site is gone, it seems it was taken down mid download, as I got half of the 90 meg, then it failed. I stopped it, tried again, and got only a few meg overnight. :( Looked at the base URL this morning, and there is nothing there. A search got no returns of relevance.

I suspect the crack won't work on the 15 day trial from imsi.com

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0002.23/download/2004-0c21e21c5bef70e65ae322fdd4316f65-3

TW10 4000 9020 4008 -- serial number
0949-BA9B-5168-575D -- 15-day trial activation

If it doesn't work, you can register for a download at http://www.turbocad.com/

If anyone knows where either the new crack or the older version (9.0) live, please post details.

zaibatsu
March 4th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Jacks Complete:

CAM expensive? Yes, relatively, but I think they've got to be cheaper than other methods, but that's just because they seem so cool :)

Yes I am talking about Leicester, I think Leicester De Monfort. I know loughborough is an excellent place for engineering, I have a couple of friends who went there.

If you want, I'll see about getting another streamloader account to distribute Solidworks and Autocad 2004.

festergrump
March 6th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Surely, I've been in the wrong business for WAY too long! :) The millshops I have worked at can't seem to afford to drop a couple hundred thousand on a decent CNC machine, let alone what you folks are looking forward to. (tell me where to send my resume, I'll relocate!!!) ;)

Let me just say I look forward to being able to afford a good drill-press, milling machine, and a small lathe to put in my garage... I'll do all the precise work by hand, and have nobody to ask me what I'm working on in my lunch hour.

Plans are another story, however, and if they're in a format which can be read by all who care to, I feel confident I could adapt them to my needs.

Tom Haggen, I feel like a loner saving all the stuff I design in .DWG, but that's what works best for me in ACAD 2000. I've also tried newer versions and don't care for them as much, either. The thing I like about Autocad mostly, though is it recognizes .DWG, .DXF, R14, R13,Lt 95-98, ect... This is why I recommended it. I've been looking for a workable copy to distribute (can't have any strings attached to me or my workplace) but haven't had any luck as of yet. If and when I do I will be sure to post a link.

If I weren't limited to a 56k connection, I'd be on Kazaa right now looking for a dist-able copy to share... :(

So... who's taking the votes, anyway? What's the verdict? The format is what's important, really, not the program.

s9ar7acu3
March 7th, 2004, 12:55 AM
I have Solidworks 2004 (all 3 cd's), I am attempting to upload it now.

Jacks Complete
March 17th, 2004, 04:14 PM
festergrump,

>Ok, so Solidworks for 3D and (AutoCAD) DXF for 2D, then.

I said it a bit further up!

s9ar7acu3,
given the "issues" with the FTP at the moment, where are you uploading to? Free streamloader accounts can't download more than 10Mb files. I could rig something up to let people download from a webserver for a while. It's only 50Kb a second, but faster than dial-up!

I have an old copy of AutoCAD 14(?) and no solidworks, so I need both! Also, we need codes/cracks, as well as some kind of idea as to what we are going to be drawing, and the ability to draw! Does anyone know of a good tutorial for Solidworks, and for 3D work in AutoCAD? I am pretty good at 2D AutoCAD, and will happily write some basic notes if nothing better is available.

Bong
March 21st, 2004, 10:42 AM
I have been using a CAD called VectorWorks. It runs pretty well and it does not require really good graphics card for your computer. The price for the program is roughly $400AUS (student price). It is also called MiniCAD. I cannot remember the address for the website, but it should not be hard to found on Yahoo, if you simply type "vectorworks" or "minicad".

MightyQuinn®
March 30th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Might be a bit late with this, I have a copy of AutoCAD 2004 I recently aquired.

I can make it available should you like me too.....

Email or PM me.