View Full Version : 2nd newbie kno3 question

jackhammer
January 21st, 2004, 03:34 PM
This one's less technical. I've got my KNO3 , but now I'm wondering what I could do with it. I had some ideas that I thought maybe people could comment on, if they have the time to help out. The first was to add it into a thermite mix of magnesium and iron oxide. The second was to dissolve it into acetone and mix it with petroleum jelly for a low power detonator. The third was to use it to make nitric acid by mixing with sulfuric acid. I can do all of these things, so I'm not looking for which idea is best, I'm just trying to make sure none are so stupid I should just give them up, and if anyone else has any other "good" ideas for a starting chemist. Thanks

Dave Angel
January 21st, 2004, 10:13 PM
To be quite honest, I don't see acetone, petroleum jelly and KNO3 making a detonator... unless I'm missing something here?

There are plenty of fun things to do with potassium nitrate just use the search engine and the tools of chemistry to guide you!

Nitro Tola
January 21st, 2004, 11:08 PM
KNO3 sulphur and Charcoal are used to make gunpowder... Just thought you might like that one :-)

jackhammer
January 21st, 2004, 11:08 PM
To be quite honest, I don't see acetone, petroleum jelly and KNO3 making a detonator... unless I'm missing something here? I was hoping that it would have similar properties to the ol' KClO4 mix. Guess not though. I'll keep looking around.

Blackhawk
January 22nd, 2004, 12:40 AM
You are a fucking moron, you have KNO3 but you don't know what to do with it. SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH: And when you have done that eat a LOT to make sure you can never reproduce and you're done. Where the hell did you get that KNO3/petrolium jelly detonator idea from, 300 ways to make your own KY Jelly? KNO3/NM will detonate, but I'm not sure straight KNO3 will, and even if it did adding acetone and petrolium jelly would make it harder, it would be worse to detonate than straight AN so you couldn't call it a detonator. Let me guess you were going to detonate it with a sparkler >:-(

Bert
January 22nd, 2004, 01:17 AM
If you don't know what can be done with it, why did you want to make it? Thermites don't need any additional oxidizers. KNO3 doesn't detonate or form a detonable mixture with VASELINE. You could in fact use it to make nitric acid. But then you'd just be back asking what to with THAT-

Shit, just go make some black powder and be happy.

tom haggen
January 22nd, 2004, 01:52 AM
I'm not going to attemped to synthesize nitric acid from KNO3 untill I have some vacum distillation equipment. I want high concentrations.

Boomer
January 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM
It works at normal pressure too. Just use twice the required minimum SA and heat real slowly. And stop early! With this acid I got >90% nitration yields, so it cant be that bad.

infernal
January 23rd, 2004, 01:48 AM
Im hoping someone can answer this question... There was a thread that was more on track with this subject, but I still fear for my digital soul posting outside this forum. The thread I was interested in is located here;

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031&highlight=potassium+nitrate

Basically my question is regarding a brand of fertilizer named "HYFA" and is 15-0-46. I have found it in greenhouse grade and is water soluble. I am wondering if this grade / brand will work properly for BP mixtures, or should I seek something else? The price is rather good at 31.95CDN for 25KG bags so hopefully this is the stuff I need. Please note I have found nothing online in regards to this brand, and have even tried to find an MSDS sheet for it.

I've read and been told time and time again that the proper stuff is 13-0-46 so im not sure what effect having 2% extra nitrogen will make.

What are ways I can tell if this is a pure substance that will work well in a BP mixture. I would hate to keep buying different products (and ultimatly wasting money) on KN03 that is not pure. I am aware of the KNO3 + SUGAR flame test, but im hoping there is some sort of visual characteristics that might aid in my search for proper chems.

After staring at the button for a few moments, I reluctantly submit.... :)

Nitro Tola
January 23rd, 2004, 03:51 AM
Boomer, you honestly got 90%+, thats a great effort! I believed that you did require the vacume distillation equipment to get even close to that purity? You have proven me wrong.

Anthony
January 23rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
You can get that kind of purity using only some hot water, a jug, and a plastic bag.

tom haggen
January 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Wouldn't you need some tubing also? How would you condense the HN03 vapor?

kingspaz
January 24th, 2004, 11:06 AM
search the HNO3 section....:rolleyes:

tmp
February 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I believe it was BrainFever's amazingly simple technique for
producing white nitric acid using ice packed conical plastic
sheets and 2 beakers. The critical factor is temperature
control. I'm going to try this 1 myself. I have 2 hot plates
I can use. One of them tops out at 65C, so it may be
perfect for this application. In the past I've used retorts.

Back on topic - Infernal, that HYFA brand sounds pretty close
to what you're looking for. Like you I can't even find an MSDS
reference online but using the atomic weights of the atoms
involved this is what I came up with:

Atomic weights: K = 39.083, N = 14.00674, O = 15.9994
KNO3 = 101.08794 2*KNO3 = 202.17588 K2O = 94.1654

K2O = 94.1654 / 202.17588 = 46.57 %
N = 14.00674 / 101.08794 = 13.85 %

Potassium is usually represented as available K2O.

I'd say you're on the right track. Uses for KNO3 - BP, HNO3
production, KNO3/sugar smoke and rocket fuel compositions.
There are many uses for this versatile compound and as
others have pointed out - use the search engine !