View Full Version : Diesel

atr
January 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM
Hypothetically speaking , let's say there is this diesel engine attached to a large piece of machinery with a fuel tank of about 100 gallons . Let's say that the owner of said equipment could give a flying fu*k if you or your neighbours ever sleep again and there is absolutely no dealing with him . Between the fuel tank and the engine there are various filters to remove impurities . Spraying ether (diesel quickstart) into the air intake would sieze it up solid so that's one possibility . Question is , what could be poured into the fuel tank that would get through the filters , blow or sieze the engine , leaveing little or no trace ? Of course , this is for educational purposes only in a hypothetical situation . I know the ether spray will work but in order to use that method one would have to expose themself while spraying for up to one minute . The fuel tank is on the opposite side with good access and no exposure .

Nitro Tola
January 21st, 2004, 11:11 PM
If you physically want to WRECK the engine, use the thermite reaction to literally "melt" vital parts of the machinery.

James
January 22nd, 2004, 01:58 AM
One could look here (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3071) for inspiration. I suppose one could also try simply switching such a thing off and take steps to ensure no one turned it back on. :) SWIY would want to take precautions that nothing were ever traced back of course.

Anthony
January 22nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
What is it with newbies and fucking thermite? Ultimate "cure all" or what?

chemwarrior
January 22nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
Anthony, its just so pretty... must watch it burn... burn.... *noob kewl catches on fire and dies from having tried to get too close*

Oh, so so sad.... hehe, thermites are just a nice little way to remove the total morons from our hobby :)

ossassin
January 22nd, 2004, 08:41 PM
It can be useful. It wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a little container of it with a magnesium fuse with you in some situations. It would be great at melting locks...

Blackhawk
January 22nd, 2004, 09:08 PM
The problem with thermite is that it is usually useless for melting locks, seeing as most locks are metal and locking metal things. The thermite heats the lock up but the heat is quickly transfered through the lock and the rest of the metal that it is locking and radiated away before there is any chance of it melting. You would need quite a lot of thermite to melt a lock but by that time how would you keep the burning powder in contact with the lock if it is not laid flat along the floor anyway?

TreverSlyFox
January 22nd, 2004, 09:40 PM
The most expensive part of a Diesel engine is the injectors. They're either mechanicaly controlled or if a newer engine electronicly controlled. There is one injector for each cylinder with a fuel line going to each one. To rebuild one costs about $80 the last time I looked. To replace one is about 3 times that.

A hammer and cold chisel if applied right would leave them in such shape they couldn't be rebuilt. Over a period of time the cost would be prohibative to continue replacing them. Maybe by that time the owner might get the message and figure out a much quieter way to produce power.

Another alternative is to place a lot of Valve Grinding compound in the oil system (4 or 5 tubes), though the filters will catch a lot of it enough should get into the system to do some big damage over time.

Another possibility, if it's a water cooled system, is to drain the cooling system and let it over heat though most have an overheat shutdown. Course the cost to replace or clean out a rediator every few days may get the message across. A large amount of Oat Meal or Rice should stuff it up rather well. Rice would be my first choice, it's cheap and expands 3 times it's size. 3 or 4 lbs should do it nicely. This could also be added to the fuel tank to stuff it up too, say 10 pounds. You could also add say 5 or 6 lbs to the oil too. It would take a major tear down to clean it all out and it may just blow the engine before he gets to it.

Finally you could "Over Power" the Diesel with Nitro Methane and burn out the pistons, though with a 100 gal tank it would take a lot of Nitro to raise the octaine rating high enough to blow it.

Crash
January 23rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
Anti-freeze or sugar water, both will seize an engine in a minute or so, brake fluid works nicely too, leaving caramel like slag in the cylinders, and requiring extenisve dismatling and cleaning, it has also been known to cause the pistons to lock throwing 1 or many rods, or increasing compression to the point of failure, and damaging the engine to the point where it would cost less to buy another one rather than fix it.

Ordinary water poured in the air intake (the large hose connected to a large filter apparatus) will also fuck up an engine.

Seems a little harsh to me to destroy a machine that probably cost a pretty penny because the people are night owls though. Pouring used motor oil in the exhaust would make a huge smoke cloud and this smoke STINKS, they'll probably smell it inside the house with all the windows closed. Even if he calls the police I doubt they'll pursue the case since nothing would be damaged. It also might be worth your while to simply call the police and complain.

Cyclonite
January 23rd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Radiators are AL right? Dump some strong H2SO4 into the oil.....It wont last long...Very expensive to replace also.

Chemical_burn
January 23rd, 2004, 07:53 PM
H2so4 would eat though the headgaskets long before it would seriously damage the radiator.

If it was me I would remove the rotor from the distribuitor ;) much easier than anything else and 10 to 1 it will take them forever to figure out whats wrong.

vulture
January 23rd, 2004, 08:25 PM
HNO3 on the rubber cords used for power transmission...takes a while to eat through...

Dunny
January 23rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
How are you going to remove the rotor from the distribuitor in a diesel engine they don't have distributor.
you could pull out the glow plugs and cut the small coils and put them back in

Skean Dhu
January 23rd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Chemical burn, Diesels work by compression not electircal ignition if I'm not mistaken so you'd be hard pressed to find a distributor cap.

atr, syphon out his fuel a few times that oughta get his attention, you could either keep it and give it back after you convince him to find quieter means or you could dump it. Also I'd imagine he would notice something is wrong if you were to take off the drive belts. Is this a power generator? could you be more specific fin its uses as this will greatly determine the best way to get his attention. You could always take the starter motor

Blackhawk
January 23rd, 2004, 11:51 PM
If it is a diesel generator, just grab it at one point, take the starter motor and replace it with a hand crank, he would likely choose the time he has it on for wisely if he has to crank it to start it ;) He might get some exercise too.

demo
January 24th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Or just blow it up, put AP on the radiator and when the car is running, it will create a lot of heat and just blow up!! boooom!!!!!
sorry for my bad english..

THErAPIST
January 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM
lots and lots of petrolium jelly in the tank. petrolium jelly smokes like a bitch. Blowing it up will simply get the kid thrown in jail, and if he were to destroy it he would need somehting a bit better than the lowly AP. Cut the hoses, play with any valves you can find. put liquid candle wax in the tank. you can get a gallon of it for like $5 at wal-mart. take the filter off, and put a piece of rubber over the intake hole (a few condoms or something) then put the filter back on. they wont know why it suddenly stopped working. its kinda hard for the thing to work when it cant get air. hell.. put a piece of a wooden dowel in the intake hole anf then put the filter back on. doesnt really damage it, takes forever to find, takes forever to get out, keeps you out of jail if he saw you do it since youre not really doing any damage.

kingspaz
January 24th, 2004, 08:52 PM
demo, you're a fucking retard.

AP would sublimate long before it went 'boooooom'. the heating of a radiator is not that sharp and it doesn't get that hot. learn something before posting utter crap.

demo
January 24th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Ok im sorry man. didnt think..
The first post is allways dam hard...
It wont happen again.

Jacks Complete
January 25th, 2004, 06:11 PM
If you wanted to use AP, or nitro, etc. I would wait till the engine was off and cold, then put some on the inside edges of all the belts, and any other moving parts... On starting, you would hear an odd series of odd booms, and when the lid was opened, all the belts would be fragged!

If you wanted to do something very destructive but far more subtle, find the timeing belt. In older diesel engines, the valves are opened and closed by this belt. If it slips, it will open and close the valves at the wrong time, and fairly quickly trash it. Just make it a bit frayed, or something. (Or glue some AP to it??)

The best idea is the oil/petroleum gelly in the tank. Almost impossible to remove without draining the whole system. Another good idea is brake fluid, which does very much the same. The environmental guys will shut him down.

Perhaps the best idea, and the way to stay friends, would be to ask him if, if you give him a hand, he will fit a muffler to the exhaust. That way, everything stays nice.

Flake2m
January 26th, 2004, 07:09 AM
How about adding an abrasive to the oil? Alumium oxide is highly abrasive and could probaly get past the filter if it was fine enough. Titanium oxide I think is fairly abrasive too. Alot of white paint use titianium oxide as the whiter so if you pouried a litre of paint in the oil tank then you would probaly do some damage.
Diesel isn't very volutile and has a boiling point well over 100C. The diesel engine only compresses air, not the fuel mixure. SO if you were a highly volutile and highly flammable chemical such as petrol to the air intake you'd cause knocking to the cylinders and screw up the engine.

Blackhawk
January 26th, 2004, 07:31 AM
I still think the easiest is to siphon the diesel out (or about half of it) and fill the tank with either water or sugar (could be disolved in the water), the idea being that with the water in there the motor will not start and he will have to drain the tank, or with the sugar lots of sticky burnt carmel type residue will build up in the bores and clog the pistons/valves.
Of course the best thing to do is talk to him or the police (at least here there are noise regulations after 10Pm).

tmp
February 3rd, 2004, 04:21 PM
I work with diesel engines in 1 of my jobs. Occasionally, some of the
more stupid operators will put gasoline in the tank. It won't destroy
it as such but it will put the motor out of commission until the owner
goes through the expense of having the entire system purged.
Also this method may make the owner look like a dumb fuck to the
mechanic who cleans it rather than an act of sabotage.