View Full Version : Digital Scales

green beret
January 22nd, 2004, 09:24 PM
I'm looking for a good reliable supplier of digital scales, in Oz, just wondering where aussies got theirs, and what type they are.
I'm thinking about buying some from ebay,theres some good ones there, but I like to see the product before I buy it, and the only other ones I've seen were at Big W, but only accurate to 1g, ideally I want 0.1g. I cant use my old scales anymore, they arent anywhere near accurate enough. All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

scarletmanuka
January 23rd, 2004, 02:53 AM
Dick Smith sells a 0.1g resolution scale for around 100 dollars. I got my scales from an old open house for a hundred dollars. It has a 0.005 gram resolution, but only a max of 200 grams. It is semi-analogue with a back light, but is knob operated for taring(sp?). I wouldn't rule out slide balances either, if you use it carefully, it is just as good as any digital scale, just get it certified first.

Cyclonite
January 23rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
I bought one off e-bay, it was a pocket pro 5.0 or something along those lines. Its accurate to .01 and has a 250g Cap. Its about $75 US and has a cool little hydro hinge.

a_bab
January 23rd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Well, I must to be a lucky guy. I got one accurate to 0.1 grams, 200g max, with 3 bucks ! Of course it was a second hand one but still...

green beret
January 24th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Thanks, I'll go and check out dick smith, I was in there the other day actually.

FragmentedSanity
January 24th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Three Bucks - Damn - I wish. keep a lookout on ebay - 30 to 100+ dollars is the average for a set of Digi scales - just type scales in the search - you will turn up all kinds. If I remember right there is currently a set of triple beam balance scales up for grabs.

frogfot
January 24th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Anybody thoat to "upgrade" 1g scale down to 0,01g? I beleave those sensors can give better precision, they probably make it +/-1g to fit home uses.. or?

snuk5
January 24th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Possible Source of electronic balances

I bought my electronic balance a few years ago.
It’s a Mettler, Swiss made.
Resolution .001 g, max weight 400 g

They cost a blooming fortune, I mean thousands of $s US
I paid the equivalent of 65 $ US for it in a Cash Convertor store.
It had a yellow sticker on it from some calibration agency.
The thing must be over 18 years and may have failed this or that test, but
I have spoken to the calibration chaps and it passed the tests that I could execute myself.
I’m still smiling about this outstanding buy.

So methinks it would be a good idea to get friendly with your local calibration lab and ask the chaps there to let you know about any rejects from the universities or labs....

Lil_Guppy
January 24th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I got my set of scaled from eBay. They gost me around $70 all up with postage. Brand new, still in the box with a calibration weight. Accuracy is 0.1g and max. weight is 500g. I could have got .01 accuracy scales, but in my experience, the more accurate something can measure, the easier it is to break :P

ShadowAlchemist
January 24th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I am currently tossing up between a OHAUS model 710-00 and a OHAUS model 311-10 analytical balance.
The 710-00 is a triple beam balance with a max weight of 610g, resolution of 0.1g and a cost of
$320 + GST.
The 310-00 is a "Cent-O-Gram" balance with a max weight of 311g, resolution of .01g and a cost of $440 + GST.
Available from LOMB scientific http://www.lomb.com.au. I have also bought large quantities of nasty solvents & acids in the past from them and they have never batted an eyelid. Prices are AVERAGE!