View Full Version : The Post Office

TheHitMan
January 24th, 2004, 04:35 PM
As this isn't "forum related", I've posted this in the Water Cooler section. If you find that this topic has no use on this forum board, then please delete.

I orginally wrote this for web publication, so I'm afraid you'll have to endure the "how-to" style of writing.

This kind of scam isn't pulled very often thus, not many security precautions are in place.

To start with you need to pick your target location(s).

For this example we can use your own house for the senders address, and a friends for the recipients address.

Then you need to choose what your package is to contain. The "top earners" are PC peripherals, laptops, digital cameras/camcorders. Mainly due to their price and the fact that their expensive to buy, and expensive to replace/repair.

Now you will need to "obtain" a broken version of what you plan to send. So, if you’re planning on sending a laptop, you'll need to obtain a broken laptop.

Once you have your broken laptop it's time to pretend it's Christmas and wrap it up in a not so thick cardboard box with some paper padding. Old newspaper sheets/shredded paper will suffice.

Once you've done that, write your friends address on the box of where you aim to send it to. (Their address) Making sure it's someone/somewhere you know, as you need to get the package back.

Take the package to the post office and send it to your friend. Making sure you insure it for just above the amount you wish to make. For example, if you want to make $500 insure it for $525. If you want to quicken this process, send the package next day. Although this will add to the cost of shipping and handling. A small outlay for the outcome however.

Once you've have placed insurance on your package, keep the insurance ticket safe. You'll be needing this in the events to follow.

The reason for insuring it for more than you want to make is that after you've added the cost of getting to and from the post office, stamps, letters and so on the extra you added on covers this cost.

Once the package has been sent and your friend has received the package, you need to get the package back. The same day your friend got the package would be best.

Now you need to go down to the post office and ask for a damaged and/or lost insurance claim form.

Fill in the form, which will ask you for information like how much is it worth, how was it packed, where it was sent to and from, how much will you want for a replacement and trivial questions alike. You will also have to attach the insurance card/sticker you were given when you first sent the package.

You will also be asked to provide a print off/photocopy of your item you sent from a shop/retail outlet so they have proof of how much it would cost to replace the item you sent.

This is where the wonderful world of Internet marketing comes into hand. Search the Internet for the most outrageous price you can find for your item. Note the site needs to be gunuine. Not some site you whipped up in Front Page as they do check. Ebay is a recommendation.

The post office won't shop around for a better price, it isn't their job to. They'll most likely only check the source that you print off for them.

Once you've completed all this information you need to take it back down to the post office, or post it off to their claims department. Send it by recorded mail so the recipient will have to sign for the letter.

They tend to "lose" your claim forms to delay the process. Then when they do actually get the claim form, the claim will be void as you only have a certain period of time to claim for damages. Which is usually 30 days from when the item was first sent.

Then there will be a set of rules they have to stick too, which I will describe briefly.

There are several sections or tiers of compensation that the post office claims department has to deal with, and it's all about money.

So, tier 1 - is claims up to the amount of $50, which any joe working there can sign for and say basically that they accept your claim, and are willing to refund you the cost of your replacement.

Then theirs tier 2 - which is claim's up to $100, which working joe will have to get his supervisor to sign for.

Tier 3,4,5 and progressively up to their maximum insurance amount will need progressively higher supervisors to acknowledge - and make valid - your claim.

If you you’re trying to do a scam for a large sum of money of say $10,000. Then they may wish to meet you to talk about the cost/process of a replacement. - Which of course you will want to avoid. Unless your confident enough of being able to talk your way out of any given situation.

Once they have received all your paperwork that you've sent them, they may ask you to send them the parcel/package you sent to your friend, or they may ask your friend to send it to them if it's easier for your friend too, in the "orignal packaging".

This is to try and catch you out, and just to see if it actually is what you said you were sending. As this is one part of their "security measures".

But, this point is moot since you actually did send the package with contents of your choice. But more specifically to try to find out why/how the package was damaged. Ie: Dropped.

They will take a quick look at the package, then give you a decision either by phone or by post to see if your going to be refunded or not. Usually they will phone you accepting your claim, and send you a letter with a cheque for the refund.

They may ask you if you want them to get you a replacement. This choice is up to you, if you send them a broken laptop and want them to get you a new one - then that's up to you.

But its worth thinking about, are they sending you a NEW laptop, or a re-conditioned one? Or one at the same "market value"?

This is a good scam to pull if you just have the bits laying around in your home collecting dust and wish to make money from them.

Is there anything you would change to this idea? And if so what would you change?

Any flaws or possible implications you can see? Hope this is ok for a first post!

Jacks Complete
January 25th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Well, don't try that in the UK. The Post Office here will just ignore you, as will the couriers...

I never even managed to get a legit insurance claim off them!

infernal
January 25th, 2004, 08:52 PM
just out of curiosity... what happens to your "broken item" once they claim is made... do they keep it and then provide you with a cash refund / new item? or are you left with both the busted item and cash / new one?

TheHitMan
January 26th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Jack's Complete: You can't get one? Just go down to a main post office and ask for a lost/damaged compensation form.

infernal: Usually destroyed.

Jack's Complete: I never even managed to get a legit insurance claim off them! - So how did you get an forged one?

streety
January 26th, 2004, 07:14 PM
I think he meant that even though his claim was legitimate they still wouldn't pay him.

Jacks Complete
January 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Yes, as most people who do a little trading on eBay will have found, getting anything out of the UK post office is such a trial.

I suspect they don't want to set a precedent!

streety
January 28th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Did you send your item special/recorded delivery? I know you can specify the value of the package with at least one of these services (forgotten which one) so you should stand a much better chance of getting a replacement/refund. However if you had been using these services and they still refused to pay then this post is totally useless. :)

TheHitMan
January 28th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Special Delivery, would have been my choice. You can have before noon, after noon, and Saturday delivery. This is for the UK however, in the US it varies from state to state.

scarletmanuka
January 28th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Just one question though: wouldn't they assess the item that you wish to insure first, to check that it isn't broken. ie, a quick visual and maybe turn it on and off?

Voyager
January 28th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Will they pay if the package is stolen?

The Post Office leaves packages at my door, and if my neighbors were not all honest, they could just walk up and steal my packages.

So, could you just claim that the package never arrived?

TheHitMan
January 29th, 2004, 11:38 AM
scarletmanuka, no they are forbidden by law to open your mail. So if your package is opened, you can claim for damages.

Voyager, if the delivery people leave it on your door and someone steals it. Then you could claim, but most delivery companies don't leave a package at the door, as they need someone to sign for the package before they can release it from their system.

streety
January 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Special delivery and recorded you have to sign for so they wouldn't just leaves these on your door step. Often if you order something from a catalogue they leave them outside and in this case you could claim it never arrived and get a second one.

If you've spent the past half hour neatly wrapping up your expensive item I think it would be a major inconvenience if you had to unpackage it all. Even if they did ask they would probably give up fairly quickly.