View Full Version : Possible performance enhances for Zn+S

Desmikes
January 25th, 2004, 03:22 AM
I've had somewhat unreliable egnition of Zn+S rockets when packing the propellent very hard. Does anyone know what's the best thing to add to such rocket fuel to eliminate this problem? I thought about BP but I would imagine that Zn would like to be oxidized by KNO3, therefore forming a lot of solid inside the engine, perhaps SP..? Has anyone had success with Zn+S rockets when using PVC pipe or any brass parts for an engine?

Guerilla
January 25th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Zn/S is a very poor propellant if pressed (for endburners at least), you should tamp it only little if at all. Ive used to cover the nozzle with a piece of paper, ram a layer of KNO3/Sugar on it, then pour the propellant in and insert an airclay end plug. The first layer ignites the Zn/S reliably but also prevents it from spilling out from the nozzle. I dont think the prime will dramatically form solid particles that would block the nozzle or anything, some ZnS remains solid inside the case anyway.. Loosely packed Zn/S makes the rockets somewhat unreliable and likely to explode, but its still a better option than a way too low burn rate.

me234
February 12th, 2004, 05:14 AM
I'm not sure what you could use for boosting the performance with regards to rocket fuel, but as a low explosive I've had great sucess with using a Zn/S/KClO3 mix, it's pretty powerful I found, But it might burn a bit fast for your uses. Sorry I wasn't more help. You could perhaps use that mix as a low power bursting charge for your rockets (dammit it's not called that, the charge at the end of the propellant train, shit man what's it called?).

Mumble
February 12th, 2004, 07:25 PM
If you packed it hard, the particles might of settled some. With the zinc going to the bottom mostly. The shock of ramming would probably be enough to do that. This would result in over fueling, and poor performance.