View Full Version : The ultimate SC

a_bab
January 26th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Well, that's the way I got the idea in fact, by thinking: "What would be the ultimate shaped charge ?" Actually, I like thinking about "ultimate" things, records, and maximums of anything. etc.

Of course, in the first place I thought "the ultimate SC must be very large and use one of the latest explosives around (CL20 or something)". Then, the idea came suddenly: the explosive must be a nuclear charge!

Yes, a nuclear SC. I know it sounds crazy. What liner one should use ? What would be the performance ?

Well, there is a big difference between a nuclear explosion and a chemical one. The chemical explosion is a sudden release of gas (well, hot gas) with a certain speed. The nuclear explosion is a sudden release of heat, an immense amount of heat. So actually a nuclear SC might not work as expected.

Any thoughts, suggestions ?

Note: I posted this here as is can't be placed anywhere else; besides it's something totally impractical for the forumites, so it has no use at all.

Bert
January 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Google on "nuclear pumped laser" and "gamma ray laser". You aren't going to be building one at home unless home is Sandia Labs.

nbk2000
January 26th, 2004, 04:38 PM
In "The Curve of Binding Energy", Taylor (big-time nuke designer) says that they had built nuclear shaped charges and tested them. Naturally the results weren't specified, but I got the impression of drilling through mountains. :)