View Full Version : acetic anhydride

demo
January 27th, 2004, 03:59 AM
I would like to make some acetic anhydride but it seems a bit diffacult to do so, i cheaked mega's page but it seems too hard for me . well i was reading i found this:
c2h4o2(acetic acid)+p2o5=c4h6o3(anhydride)+hpo3? is this right?
thanks

vulture
January 27th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Learn how to spell and how to correctly write equations.

With your knowledge level, it should be prohibited to come anywhere close to chemicals.

Are you aware of the hazards involved when working with P2O5 and anhydride?

Stupid druggie.

bobo
January 27th, 2004, 09:35 PM
well... except from the spelling etc, I think the question makes sense. I have no idea if p2o5 is easier to obtain than acetic anhydride though but would it be feasible to dehydrate glacial acetic acid using another dehydrating agent and separate it? (discounting the ketene process of course)

demo
January 27th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Sorry for my shitty englash but I live in CHINA!!So I dont have much time on english very very sorry..
Back to acetic anhydride, I did a search and all the other ways of making it is useing h2so4.
I will try that sometime.
And by the way P2O5 IS dangerous , I know that , the bottle that has the stuff tells you that.
But I still dont know bad it is for your health..
And im not adruggie,it is used in a lot of explosives making..

zeocrash
January 28th, 2004, 07:48 AM
i'd probably go for the ketene method of Acetic anhydride production, it seems relitavely easy compared to the other methods, P2O5 and acyl chlorides are very hard to get around these parts.
you could use sulphuric acid to produce acetic anhydride, but it would be very hard to separate the 2 when the reaction is over. if you really want to make acetic anhydride you should probably search the forum, there's a lot of good info here on the production of it.

nbk2000
January 28th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Since when does the chinese government allow people to access an E&W forum? They don't let you look at pro-democracy sites, so improvised weapons sites are OK? LIAR!

SpiffyVision
January 28th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Remember Hong Kong, he may be from Hong Kong.

ossassin
January 29th, 2004, 09:41 AM
This is slightly OT, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it. In the place where I get most of my chemicals, there is a large bottle marked, "Acetic Acid: for neutralizing bases." Do you think this is glacial or at least fairly concentrated?

demo
January 29th, 2004, 10:06 AM
I got 500Ml 99% acetic acid from the chem store.
it freeses at 16c.The hell it stinks.
And can SB tell me is this right C2H4O2+P2O5=C4H6O3+HPO3?