View Full Version : My Sp!

Monkeyman666
September 1st, 2001, 11:49 PM
I figured that I would post my experience with detonating sp here, since ANTHONY didn't really salivate over the last post. Well I cut the top off of a Co2 cartdridge filled it to the top with dbsp, So a blasting cap made out of an empty .22 magnum cartridge packed w/ Ap, would fit in it. I sealed it in with 3,500 psi epoxy. The only thing it did was massivly rip open the side of the cylinder. I was pissed at first, then was kind of surprised when I seen the sp packed in the bottom of the cylinder very tightly, so tighly I could only break it loose with my knife. I will succeed with more effort in the future. READ THIS IF WANTED: before Anthony closes/deletes it!!

------------------
Monkeyman

Mr Cool
September 2nd, 2001, 10:05 AM
So you're saying that you didn't manage to detonate SP, even though it was DB - WITH NG?! In a steel container (lots of confinemtent), with a .22 magnum case PACKED with AP?

I'm surprised!

Kdogg
September 2nd, 2001, 03:53 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr Cool:
So you're saying that you didn't manage to detonate SP, even though it was DB - WITH NG?! In a steel container (lots of confinemtent), with a .22 magnum case PACKED with AP?

I'm surprised!</font>

Exactly what IM saying, I was surpprised myself!

------------------
Kdogg

Anthony
September 2nd, 2001, 09:03 PM
Calm down, this one stays open because it hasn't turned into a flame war and it also contains new information, in that you've tried it.

How much NG did the SP contain?

Kdogg
September 2nd, 2001, 10:12 PM
Im not sure on the amount of nitro in it. All I know is that it is double base smokeless shotgun power. I have it for reloading shells. My .22 shell was filled almost to the top with acetone peroxide, then packed down with a dowel rod. I did this till is was full with packed ap, but leaving a small space for the crimp.

------------------
Monkeyman

[This message has been edited by Kdogg (edited September 02, 2001).]

Mr Cool
September 3rd, 2001, 07:26 AM
Did any of it detonate?
Perhaps it just has a very low NG content. I think the DBSP for magnum pistol rounds is meant to be the best (highest % of NG), there was a thread discussing it somewhere...

Kdogg
September 3rd, 2001, 11:37 AM
Im pretty sure none of it detonated. All I heard was a small cap gun like pop from the blasting cap.

------------------
Monkeyman

krimmie
September 3rd, 2001, 10:22 PM
Top 5 fastest burning powders:
1). Norma R-1
2). VihtaVuori N310
3). Alliant Bullseye
4). Accurate N100
5). Accurate No. 2

Microtek
September 4th, 2001, 04:52 AM
If the grains were large, then there may have been enough extra space to negate the containment.
Was it an ordinary .22 case about 2 cm long ?
If this was the case, I doubt it would be enough AP to detonate smokeless, especially if the AP was not pressed to a high density.
Smokeless is not nearly as sensitive as you'd think for something that contains NG.

Fingerless
September 4th, 2001, 06:07 PM
He said a .22 magnum case up at the top, which is a little longer than a standard .22 LR and he also said it was packed.

I would think it should have went off.

Are all smokeless powders used for reloading shotshells double based-containing NG?

BoB-
September 4th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Exactly what I was thinking Microtek, maybe you would have had better success if the Smokeless Powder was dissolved in Acetone, then poured into the casing with a peice of dowel in the center to form a channel for the detonator.

Fingerless
September 4th, 2001, 10:15 PM
Are these the powders with the highest NG content, or just fastest burning?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by krimmie:
Top 5 fastest burning powders:
1). Norma R-1
2). VihtaVuori N310
3). Alliant Bullseye
4). Accurate N100
5). Accurate No. 2</font>

Fingerless
September 4th, 2001, 10:18 PM
What about mixing it with some fine al or mg powder and some petroleum jelly or acetone?

Tony Montana
September 4th, 2001, 11:27 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kdogg:
All I know is that it is double base smokeless shotgun power. I have it for reloading shells.
</font>
Shotgun propellant is straight NC, as Mr.Cool stated double base powder is used only in large calibre handguns. Your shotgun powder contains no nitroglycerin!!!

krimmie
September 4th, 2001, 11:47 PM
These stats were for the fastest burning Rifle powders.

Anthony
September 4th, 2001, 11:48 PM
That would explain ithttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

IIRC the higher the NG content, the faster burning the powder is.

Straight NC should be detonatable, I don't know how sensitive it is though.

krimmie
September 4th, 2001, 11:50 PM
It's funny though, where I get my hunting and reloading supplies, the only thing kept "behind the counter" is BP! All other powders, being for rifle or handgun, are out in the open!

Tony Montana
September 5th, 2001, 05:05 AM
After serching the internet I found that 12ga target shooters sometimes use double base powders, for optimal results and speeds. This is using an extremely light shot, and is pretty much handgun propellant. Single based propellants are used in shotguns 95% of the time. I believe BP was behind the counter because it is classed as an explosive, the others being propellants. BTW: Whats IIRC?????????

Victim
September 5th, 2001, 03:15 PM
IIRC means "If I Remember Correctly"

EventHorizon
September 6th, 2001, 04:56 PM
.410 bores typically use 296, which is a magnum pistol powder. Its a double base ball powder and I think its also got a high NG content.

CyclonitePyro
September 6th, 2001, 11:26 PM
After reading the first post on this topic I walked to my basement, filled a film canister with bullseye powder, put a bcap in made of AP putty (made using the bullseye powder and acetone method) the bcap was just an empty pen case the size of the height of the film can, The fuse ran through the lid.
These suckers blow nice size chunks of earth out, muddy sandy wet soil that is.
Very powerfull, I've made a couple of these things since, great fun.

------------------
"Friends don't let friends play with
Nitrogen Triiodide"

krimmie
September 8th, 2001, 12:34 AM
I have reloaded everything from .38 special to .458 winchester magnun, and by far, the fasting burning powder is BP(FFFg). I guess I'm missing the point though, you people want to extract the NG out of the cartridges! But, BP(commercial) burns faster than the rest(including double base powders), sorry if I missed the point. Bp would destroy a cartridge designed for smokeless! Try igniting any rifle(shotgaun) powder...you will see it burns slower(than BP), this is because; velocity(of a bullet) does not necessarily go up with more volumn of the propellant.

Tony Montana
September 8th, 2001, 01:27 AM
If you load double base powder into a pipe bomb and put a fuse in it and light the fuse, the pipe will explode into fragments travelling around 600 feet per second. However if you put a detonator in the pipe, and detonate it, the resulting pipe fragments will travel at a velocity in excess of 20,000 feet per second. It detonates(explodes) because of the nitroglycerin content of the powder, rather than deflagerate(burn quickly) as BP and lighting it does.

cutefix
September 10th, 2001, 02:16 AM
Krimmie,burning and detonation are not the same, many High Explosives when exposed to flame burn slowly,but if you placed a blasting cap on two containers;one containing an HE and the other a black powder.The BP will just be thrown out by the bcap but the other HE will give an impressive explosion.Therefore you must learn to discriminate the behavior between a low explosive(black powder) and a high explosive(smokeless powder-especially double base).But there are smokeless powder that are easier to ignite also…

SATANIC
September 10th, 2001, 02:27 AM
The very first explosive devices i made were pipe bombs using DBSP, and i'm sure they could detonate, as Ntroglycerin can detinate from heat, spark, and shock, and there is a lot of heat and flame in burning smokeless powder!