View Full Version : Springfield M-6

smokepole
January 30th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Does anybody know where I can download a set of blueprints for the Springfield M-6?
I am facinated by this small .22 / .410 survival rifle and I want to see if I can duplicate it at home.

zaibatsu
January 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM
The M-6 is an incredibly simple gun, just basically a break-open over-under shotgun. I don't think that you need a set of blueprints for it.

smokepole
January 30th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I guess my main stumbling block is how to create a hammer mechanism that will switch between the top and bottom barrels? any ideas.

zaibatsu
January 31st, 2004, 12:13 AM
A double trigger gun? Like some older shotguns had? That was you'd have two trigger mechs, so less chance of the gun being made completely fucked up, and I reckon it'd be a good deal easier to make

Spartin13
February 1st, 2004, 12:53 PM
M-6 uses a sliding/locable fireing pin built into the hammer. It is capable with flick of the thumb in switching barrels. With practice it can be done quick enough for a follow up shot. Sorry i have no pics, i'm not sure if i am breaking any rules or not, if so i'm sorry. i believe you can get a idea of the setup if you saw a break down of the rifle. i would try Springfield or any of the sites that see gun parts. hope this helps

charger
February 1st, 2004, 10:30 PM
There are alot of good photos of the gun here http://www.milesfortis.com/church/akc13.htm with cutaway drawings of the action, not very clear on the firing selector though.

NickSG
February 1st, 2004, 10:46 PM
I saw a revolver several years ago that was double barreled, but only held .22s. You fire the first shot, twist the barrels 180 degrees, cock the hammer, and fire again. Maybe you could built a rifle based on this design?

Im definatly interested in the design.

zaibatsu
February 2nd, 2004, 12:49 AM
If you look on the link provided, it seems a very simple design, with the barrel selector simply being a protrusion from the hammer face, it's height determined by how hard you press on the rod (ie move it up or down).

smokepole
February 2nd, 2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the input.
I will certainly keep you updated as the drawings develop.

MP5Guy
February 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
I tried to clean it up with PhotoShop just a bit. You might want to research the Savage Model 24C as well. It too has a simple method of switching from the upper rifle bbl to the lower shotgun bbl.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/097143.jpg

smokepole
February 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all of the input I have attached a PDF of my first attempt at a detailed drawing of how I would build the gun. So far I think it could be accomplished using a drill press, grinder, and assorted tools found around a good home workshop. Please feel free to criticize the drawings because I believe that is how you learn.

Yorki_pyro
March 3rd, 2004, 05:50 PM
If you can do it without a lathe and some serious machinery then I'm assuming you already have the barrels or a source for them, unless you're going to use a smoothbore barrel.

Dave the Rave
March 3rd, 2004, 06:41 PM
The drawings looks all rigth, to an survival gun, where you will have time to change the barrel, as you choses betwin big and small game.

But, whatīs the purpose of it ? Itīs only hunt ? Why not use the derringer system ? Or two triggers, like Zaibatsu sugested ?

I believe that, if the first trigger shoots the .22 and the 2nd shoots the .410, the exchange will be easy. Letīs say thatīs only hunt, you see one rabbit, then shoots it with your .22 - the noise stamps some quails, you can point your gun to them and, going further with finger pressure, shoot the .410, taking many of them down.

The construction can be simple, two pieces of plain steel that can be cut with an saw and drilled with a dremel, same as the triggers, and the springs can be made of piano wires, on an helicoidal shape, which will be easy to temper than an plain linear spring.

Also the size of the gun can be reduced as there is no need of room to an long spring. As one shot will be rimfire, the hammer can be of center, giving room to the hammer of the .410 be centered. both hammers can be put on the same pin, and also the two triggers, which will make the construction easy, as you can use the pins to hold the window of the gun.

Iīll draw it tomorow and post.