View Full Version : Dust Initiator

CommonScientist
January 31st, 2004, 05:50 PM
"Dust Initiator,
The Dust Initiator is used to destroy buildings and certain storage facilities. The basic purpose of this device is to acheive two distinct but rapidly successive explosions . This is accomplished by constructing a main charge composed of equal amounts of powdered TNT(obtained by crushing TNT in a canvas bag) and magnesium powder and inclosing it in a cover charge of a scattering agent of any carbonaceous material which can be ruduced to dust vapor. Examples are cornstarch, flour, coal dust, or gasoline(when using gasoline, never use more than 11.4 liters.) Thermite may be substituted for magnesium in the mixture. From 1.36 to 2.67 kilograms of surround should be provided for each 28.32 cubic meters of target. The 0.45 kilograms (0.225 kilograms TNT and .225 kilograms of magnesium powder) charge will effectivly disperse and detonate up to 18.14 kilogramse of carbonaceous material. Upoun activation, the main charge detonation distributes the cover charge material, which is initiated by the action of the incinidiary explosion. This causes the entire atmoshpere to me saturated with burning materials. The desrtuctive effect of this device is incresed by closing all windows and doors in the target building. This charge may be detonated elctrically or non-electrically."

- FM 31-20 Department of the Army, Special Forces Operational Techniques
I read this and was intrigued by whether or not this would actually work, and if anyone has tried it. Im quite sure that the TNT could be replaced with a equivalent or an exeedingly powerful explosive.

Here is the chart the had in the manual:

Dust Initiator, Size of Building vs. Amount and type of Cover Charge.
Target Size Cover Charge Amount Type Target

4,300 cubic ft.(123 cubic m.) Wheat Flower 10 lbs.(4.5 kg.) Wooden Building
4,300 cubic ft.(123 cubic m.) Coal Dust 10 lbs.(4.5 kg.) Wooden Building
18,500 cubic ft.(524 cubic m.) Wheat flower 100 lbs.(46 kg.) Wooden Building
450 cubic ft. (13 cubic m.) Gasoline 6 gallons(23 L.) Room
159,000 cubic ft.(4503 cubic m.) Gasoline 30 gallons(115 L.) Building
88,000 cubic ft..( 2492 cubic m.) Gasoline 2.5 gallons(10 L.) Cold Storage Room

Im pretty sure it would work, but I dont have the resources to try it out. Has anyone done this?

Just thought this would be interesting/informative to fellow forumites :)

Blackhawk
February 1st, 2004, 01:06 AM
Yeah this is just a solid powder FAE, there are quite a few existing threads about this, perhaps you should seach first and then add to one of them...

Fergus
February 1st, 2004, 02:26 AM
That's why grain elevators explode, a spark ignites all of that grain dust and the elevator ceases to exist. I have read several threads on this forum about dust initiators so seach a bit and you shall be rewarded.

CommonScientist
February 1st, 2004, 03:32 AM
I searched for FAE and I got 23 results including this thread, but none of them were based soley on solid powders/dusts. So I started this thread to begin a frsh brainstorming project about these. Im sorry if i should have taken another topic off topic to inform people, but I thuoght this was the way to do it.

dannyboy16
February 9th, 2004, 05:28 AM
i have read that aluminium powder can work quite well when dipersed over a large area, ive never tried it but if someone has or if someone has the resourses to then please do, then tell us what you found out.

Ropik
April 3rd, 2004, 04:58 PM
I read somewhere that thermate(also called "subignitor for thermite") can be used in the place of magnesium... It's easier to obtain because it is Al/oxidizer(KNO3, KMnO4... do NOT use (per)chlorates) in 50/50 volume ratio :D