View Full Version : KMNO4 source

krimmie
September 3rd, 2001, 10:17 PM
Hope this isn't old info for you all, but I have found potassium permanganate in abundance in Feed Stores(usually rural ma' and pa' shops that sell hay and the like for livestock). Anyway, KMNO4 is used in automatic iron filters(creates fresh water from well water for those that don't get city water), and is quite cheap! I paid $13.68 for 5 lb,s...I bought the FINE grade which is cheaper than the LUMP grade $19.00. Considering my needs are different than the intended use...it works out pretty good! Sorry if you all knew about this source, but I had not come across a post that pinpointed where to purchase this compound.

PYRO500
September 3rd, 2001, 11:45 PM
Hey krimmie, that sounds like a good deal. what F/O mixes have you made yet? I heard the KMNO4 makes water turn purple any insight anyone?

CodeMason
September 4th, 2001, 05:34 AM
That's cool. I knew it was used in water purification, but I didn't really know where to start to look for it. I'll check it out next time I'm out in the country to buy bags of certain fertilizer. http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

krimmie
September 4th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Pyro, so far I have just mixed;
KMNO4 3parst
Al 2parts
S 1part

It is real pretty and bright, but I need finer Al. And yes, it does instantly turn water purple.

Alchemist
September 4th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Hello all,

Krimmie what country/state did ya buy the Permanganate in? 5lb's for $13.68 is great! I have seen it on Net sights for the same use as high as $25.00 a pound. What brand name did it go by. Do they show a web page on the package? Thanks.............................

------------------

[This message has been edited by Alchemist (edited September 04, 2001).]

BoB-
September 4th, 2001, 08:10 PM
I've looked in the water purification section of WalMart (American department store) before, they didnt have Kmno4, but they did have huge plastic jugs of activated carbon for $5.00

PYRO500
September 4th, 2001, 10:59 PM
It seems krimmie is caught up in an IP ban, so he has asked me to post this for him:

To BoB- Walmart will not carry this stuff, he needs to look in RURAL
areas(small animal feed stores).

To Alchemist- I live in the extreme S.E/ of the U.S. The container says;
Technical grade to use in Automatic Iron Filters. Royal Palm Bch. Fl. The
company is "Aqua Products International". Ph.# (561) 753-7800.

Alchemist
September 4th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Thanks Pyro500!

Disturbed
September 5th, 2001, 05:08 PM
I've bought a five-pound plastic jug of KMnO4 at Menards, if you happen to live near one of those. they are all over the midwest IIRC. It came in a white container that said POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE across the front in purple letters... pretty obvious http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/wink.gif And right next to that I found 93% H2SO4 also...

------------------
====
kein mitleid fur die mehrheit

Alchemist
September 5th, 2001, 09:31 PM
Hello again,

I live in California. Anyone know where to get it here at a good price? Thanks!!!

------------------

Teck
September 6th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Ok I posted this in the other topic but Sears also sell it in the water purifing section of the store. I was wondering if a coffee grinder will do the job of getting the KMNO4 fine enough? Oh ya and um no smoking when making flash http://plauder-smilies.de/smokin.gif .

-A-
September 6th, 2001, 12:26 PM
KMnO4 is used in water filters??? First time I have heard of that. How do you purify water with KMnO4?. Just the tip of a teaspoon of KMnO4 is able to turn purple liters of water!

Anthony
September 6th, 2001, 04:18 PM
KMnO4 destroys organics, like algae and bacteria, the filters probably have something like a carbon filter to remove the purple tint.

kretzlord
October 8th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Is the Potassium Permanganate at Sears pure? If so, whats the best way to get it into a stable liquid for that will, say for instance, evaporate evenly to the sides of a glass bottle? This is my first post, so pleast don't hate me.....

Cricket
October 9th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Yea, it's pure enough for most stuff I think. Why do you want it on the side of glassware anyway? It's soluble in water. Heh heh, wear shitty or purple cloths though.

Anthony
October 9th, 2003, 03:08 PM
I wonder if I can guess :)

Anarchist's CrapBook (grammar mistakes and subconscious references to beastiality removed):

Take a glass jar, coat inside with gasoline, drop in some KMnO4, cap and throw against a solid surface - packs 2 sticks of dynamite!

Perhaps coating the inside with KMnO4 and dropping in gasoline will have the same effect? :)

megalomania
October 9th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Now why would a chemical reaction between KMnO4 and gasoline bother to take to the time to wait around until after you throw the container to detonate?

Potassium permanganate reacts with iron ions in water as well as hydrogen sulfide, and is eventually converted to manganese dioxide. The use of potassium permanganate is on the way out as only older filtration systems use the "green sand" method. Newer modern filtration systems use better technologies.

Hang-Man
October 9th, 2003, 05:04 PM
I've seen KMnO4 for sale online for keeping ponds clean or some such garbage.

and for kretzlord : anything in the "Anarchist's CrapBook" is just that; Crap. the only thing in it that wouldn't result in a one way trip to hell is the thermite. And a four year old could come up with that. The worst the MF....

those of you not familiar with this garbage you can read it here: http://isuisse.ifrance.com/emmaf/anarcook/indanarcook.html

T_Pyro
October 31st, 2003, 02:58 AM
I just got about 50 gms of fine KMNO4 crystals from the pharmacy for Rs.30 (<1 US$). I didn't ask, but larger quantities should be even cheaper.

spaceninja
October 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM
In the UK KMnO4 crystals can be purchased in most small chemists in 25g tubs.The price ranges from about 60p to over a pound.It can also be purchased in Boots but its expensive and comes in pill form.I prefer to buy it in crystal form as there is no need to grind it into smaller pieces.

c.Tech
October 19th, 2006, 05:31 AM
In Victoria, Australia I was able to purchase KMnO4 crystals for approx. $7 per 25 grams, now they have stoped selling them due to the danger of children opening the safety locks and eating them.

I’m now seeing one of those current affair shows trying to persuade the public into supporting the bans of caps for cap guns after a child left some in his pocket, reached in later and got burns when they ignited.

I don’t see the point of banning practically everything to make things slightly safer for the children, they may as be banning glass cups for the sharp broken glass they leave behind when broken, they can kill unlike caps.

But what is really pissing me off is the sheeple falling for these over reactive propaganda spread by the media and getting near harmless products compared to others banned for stupid reasons and coincidences.

inFinie
October 20th, 2006, 05:24 PM
It is sold in here as water disinfectant but not drinking water. I have seen when entering to a pool you walk into KMnO4 pool for feet disinfection. There were a few tablets which you can see the purple color around them in the water.

It is also sold for fungus treatment.

nocturnal shadow
November 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM
c.Tech you were getting ripped off chronically, in NSW one of my mates got 15kg of KMnO4 for roughly $20 a kilo (probably less, that’s what he selling it to me for).
He does work in a farm produce store and put in an order for it without his boss finding out but still someone was making a nice profit out of you.

On the topic of media bringing about stupid bans and laws. It really pisses me off that every time a couple of teenagers die in a car accident there's automatically a push for more restrictions on P plate drivers. They could fix the roads but why do that when you can just lower their speed limit and make them an obstacle for other road users.

And also that instead of repair and improving roads that cause accidents they just revert back to the old 'lower the speed limit' solution.

c.Tech
November 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM
c.Tech you were getting ripped off chronically
I know but it was the only place I knew where to get it, and was just a walk down the road to place the order, the next day another 3 minute walk to pick it up.

I’ve got a cheaper place that sells larger qualities than 25 grams, thank you jetz ;).

On the topic of media bringing about stupid bans and laws. It really pisses me off that every time a couple of teenagers die in a car accident there's automatically a push for more restrictions on P plate drivers. They could fix the roads but why do that when you can just lower their speed limit and make them an obstacle for other road users.

And also that instead of repair and improving roads that cause accidents they just revert back to the old 'lower the speed limit' solution.
P-plate drivers (tends to be more males) generally have the type of behaviour that causes accidents eg. speeding, burnouts, generally aggressive driving. There is no way to stop this and P-platers will continue to drive in this way, all the laws do is make it easier to take a licence from offending drivers and limit powerful cars only to the more experienced. This will not stop the type of behaviour which gets young drivers into an accident in the first place.

Putting a lower speed limit wouldn’t do much, enforcing the speed is the only thing that works which is costly, inaccurate and a pain in the ass for safe drivers.

In the past when there was an accident or mishap shit happens, now every little detail and danger is limited beyond belief to cause 1 less death a year or less. Everyone needs to face the fact, there is no way to stop death it’s just a way of life, we cant limit out lifestyle to such a degree until it’s no longer enjoyable if we do that what’s the point of living?

Universal
November 15th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Well this will seem strange but I got about 500 grams for free at an antique shop in some rural south island town. The guy thought it was BP so he gave it to me for free so he wasn't in any danger with the police. Just goes to show things can be in the least likely places.

In NZ you can buy overpriced low amounts of KMnO4 at hunting shops as a snakebite disinfectant, ironic seeing there aren't any snakes in NZ.

sv_sniper
February 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Pyro, so far I have just mixed;
KMNO4 3parst
Al 2parts
S 1part

It is real pretty and bright, but I need finer Al. And yes, it does instantly turn water purple.

Can this mixture be lit by just a match or electrical heating coils?

Controlled Chaos
February 11th, 2007, 03:29 PM

I would think so. I have not used this mixture, but I have mixed KMnO4 and MG which ignites from the smallest of sparks. Also I believe that sulfur is pretty sensitive with KMnO4. (Possibly to shock anyone?)

I found my KMnO4 at Tracker Supply at about 20$ for 5lbs with purple letters in bold saying POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE.

Lewis
February 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Any flash composition will ignite given the slightest provocation.

If you don't know this, you really, really shouldn't be making the stuff.

ultma
February 11th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I have found this used for darkening horses coats for show

Interesting, but still not the cheapest ($20NZ for 300g) cheaper than a pharmacy ($7.50NZ 25g), condys crystals

Flash mixes with this stuff ignite great with a small drop glycerol in hollow with some unmixed KMnO4

6:8:1 KMnO4:Zn:S is pretty good

HOz
September 16th, 2007, 02:00 AM
You can find KMNO4 at your local pool supply shop.

Polumna
September 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Hello to all,

Yes, KMno4/Mg is very sensitive stuff, but it does produce more light then actually sound.

And what is KMnO4 in the pool used for?

chemdude1999
September 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Google is your friend.

panzerkampfwagen
September 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Chemistrystore.com sells KMnO4 for $11.30/2lb. bucket (plus shipping). They also sell Glycerine for $29.95/gallon (10.5lbs.). You could practically melt a car with that much.

the bob
September 21st, 2007, 08:56 PM
I get mine from AUBUCHON five miles away. Last time cost me about $22.00 for five pounds. A product of IRON OUT,Inc.

fredmayhew
December 10th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Lowes is another good source of KMnO4. They sell 5lb containers for the typical $20-25 price tag in the water purification aisle.It's pretty good quality and finer than sugar.