View Full Version : basic fiream care qurestion

concrete feet
February 6th, 2004, 07:16 AM
I rescently bought a new Ruger 10/22 and was wondering, as this is the first rifle with a non synthetic stock I actualy care much about and would like to start putting more care into my firearms, if there is any reason I shouldn't weather seal and finish the inner areas of the stock such as the reciever and trigger assembly reccess and under the butt-plate.

I can't think of any reason not to but I thought I'd ask in case soemone who knows better than I would care to comment.

I don't plan to do much sanding of the intetrior [to preserve the fit of the reciever and trigger gaurd, but I have come to appreciate the beauty of a wood stock and would like to preserve the life of this one and any future firearms I buy.

I might have been able to find information on this in the forums here, but was unsure of how I would go about searhing for such a specific question; hence, I found no results.

A-BOMB
February 6th, 2004, 12:02 PM
It depends on what your going to do with it unless your going swimming with it I wouldn't its just more work waterproof sections of the stock that will never see water unless you dunk your rifle in water.

TreverSlyFox
February 7th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Actually it's quite a good idea and have done such with every wooden stock I have since I got out of the military. It doesn't take much moisture to swell wood and any perssure exerted on the barrel will change your POI from your POA. It's easy and cheap insurance to avoid any problems later. A little Boiled Linseed Oil will do nicely.

NightStalker
February 7th, 2004, 04:26 AM
"basic fiream care qurestion"?

Could we PLEASE get more than half of the words in a four word sentence that's the title of a thread spelt correctly...PLEASE?!

A little grammer helps immensely.

ossassin
February 10th, 2004, 01:52 AM
I've never tampered with any of the wooden stocks on my rifles, and i've never had a single problem with them.

EDIT:
By the way, this is OT, but I've noticed that my "rank" has been changed to "Registered User." Was that supposed to happen? It doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else.

Blackhawk
February 10th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Mine has become registered user too, I notice so have a few others. I also notice that it is only the new posts in this thread that have different ranks, but I think that is just coincidence.

Anthony
February 10th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Don't worry, things like that are being sorted. Check the bug-report thread in Forum Matters if you want to discuss stuff like this.

Let's keep this thread on topic.

concrete feet
February 10th, 2004, 03:07 PM
well then, given the responses i have gotten, i will leave it be for now. i may still decide to weather seal in the future though.

thanks to all who replied.