View Full Version : a little help here, please

krimmie
June 18th, 2001, 11:25 PM
I've been experimenting with kno3 in combinations with sugar,sulfer and charcoal. I haven't used these all together but have come up with some decent propellants. The problem is this: Miami is HUMID AS HELL! I can't keep these mixtures stored without the effects of humidity. Any suggestions? My ingredients are stored separately(of course)...please advise.

Anthony
June 18th, 2001, 11:42 PM
Storing the mixtures in air-tight conatiners (tupperware is good) with a desicant such as calcium chloraide should help keep them dry.

krimmie
June 19th, 2001, 12:36 AM
Thank you for the info Anthony. The sulfur and charcoal will be made(milled) as I need it, but the KNO3 is in a 50# bag. Thank you for the suggestion though!

c0deblue
June 19th, 2001, 01:17 AM
Plastic buckets with tight-fitting lids (of the type drywall compound comes in) make good airtight containers for bulk chemicals. Two of these will easily hold 50 pounds of AN or KNO3, with plenty of room left for a container of desiccant material.

J
June 19th, 2001, 07:12 AM
If it's in a strong bag (i.e fertilizer) you could seal it up again with duct tape. You would need to replace the duct tape every now and again, especially if you intended to leave it for a while. However, the previous suggestions are a better bet than this.

J

------------------
Download the forum archive from my yahoo briefcase (http://uk.y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/thejuiceuk/lst?.dir=/&.src=bc&.view=l)
PGP key available here (http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/) (ID = 0x5B66A792)

kingspaz
June 19th, 2001, 05:51 PM
that silica gel stuff that you get with your shoes maybe available in large quantities from chemical suppliers. it does seem to keep things dry quite well.

krimmie
June 19th, 2001, 11:31 PM
Thank you all for your input! Even though I have stuffed BP into every type of container I could find, I have never before mixed my own stuff! Quite satisfying I must say. I also could use a good book on this ang other related subjects. What would you all suggest? I have researched a bit, but so many people are at odds over which book is better(talking low explosives here). Thanks again!!!!!!

SATANIC
June 21st, 2001, 03:46 AM
maybe if you can't stop it from getting wet, you could dry it in the oven and make up your desired mix on site. otherwise, dry it, mix it, then seal it in tubes or wahtever you are using, making sure to seal them with a fuse already inserted. then seal the fuse with wax or something.

mr.evil
July 24th, 2001, 07:15 AM
hello,

you can make a good cannister from a pvc-pipe.

look here fro the instructions:
http://www.ctel.net/~dwilliams/

oh yeah, who can give me some info over "the armstrong mix"?

thanxx.

------------------
=mr.evil=

Lagen
July 24th, 2001, 07:54 AM
You can get a lot of info on Armstrong's by searching this forum! You will end up with 14 topics! And Armstrong's mix is very dangerous, I'm sure most of the people here wouldn't attempt it. There's a lot of other better performing and more stable mixtures.

mr.evil
July 24th, 2001, 08:00 AM
ok i go searching right away!

thanxx.

------------------
=mr.evil=

deezs
July 24th, 2001, 02:45 PM
If you can't afford sylicagel (as I can't), you can use CaO instead of it. Very effective, and this can be refreshed too. The only problem is, it will moulder easily. It's the best to put it under the chemical, which you want to dry.

------------------
"Don't belive anything, just because there is a good proverb for it."

nbk2000
July 24th, 2001, 09:28 PM
Just go to a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to save you the silica gel dissicant capsules that come in the bottles of pills they get. You'll have a big bag full of it in a week.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here (http://members.nbci.com/angelo_444/dload.html) to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/nbk2k) to download the NBK2000 videos.

Lagen
July 24th, 2001, 09:54 PM
In some countries (like mine) they use a quite different substance for pill desiccant, not sure what it is, looks very much like miniature AN prills http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif about 1mm diameter. So have a look at their "silica gel" first.

Oh and I'm sure you can get sodium silicate at hobby stores and the like in our part of the world, it's used as antifreeze for concrete and for pickling eggs. A bottle would be dirt cheap. You can make silica gel out of it very easily!

Mick
July 25th, 2001, 04:55 AM
i don't know if this stuff is available anywhere else, but in OZ you can buy this thing called a "closet camel"

and basicly, its just a little tub of little beeds (i would assume its silica - but normaly silica is clear, this stuff is kinda blue)all there used for is keeping moisture and moths out of your closets

just have a look at the supermarket for "moisture removers" or something like that
there not a "controled" type thing so you shouldn't have to worry about making up any stories to buy it

Lagen
July 25th, 2001, 10:02 PM
Mick, I'm sure you mean silicagel. Silica means SiO2, or silicon oxide, or silicic acid anhydride, which cannot dry anything.

krimdom
July 25th, 2001, 10:56 PM
I've been using "damp rid" with great success. It is a necessary thing in our hot and humid climate. I appreciate the ideas! I was formerly krimmie on this board. Thanks again.

Demolition
July 26th, 2001, 10:29 AM
You can find some of those moisture removers in the packing of new computers and other electrical goods.

------------------
To be untouchable one must first surround himself with the strong.

Demolition

[This message has been edited by Demolition (edited July 26, 2001).]

Lagen
August 5th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Today I tried to make silicagel using OTC materials (waterglass solution - cost cca $0.45/0.5l, battery sulfuric acid - cost cca $0.50/1l).
Procedure: Put 100ml waterglass solution into a preferably larger beaker. Pour in approx. 100ml battery acid, in small portions. Break up the solidified mass with a stirring rod after each addition. Stop the additions when there's no liquid remaining in the beaker, only moist lumps of silicagel. Wash twice with ca 1 l water, while breaking up the lumps. Let sediment, pour off the water and place the powder on a piece of Al foil in an evaporating dish. Dry and regenerate at 200°C for at least 1 hour. Yield: 28g (after some losses) of white crumbly solid. This has apparently a large surface area, but unlike the traditional beads is rather difficult to manipulate. Therefore I suggest that you seal it in a paper pocket. Does anybody have an idea how the solid, transparent beads of silica gel could be produced? I tried various modifications of this process, but I'm always getting the same white, crumbly product.