View Full Version : Aluminum Powder (KMnO4/Al/S Flash)

infernal
February 15th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Trying to find a good source of aluminum powder without having to drop large amounts of money (and leaving a paper trail).

I've been reading quite a bit about making it in a ball mill but was wondering if the paint grade aluminum powder could be ball milled to work properly.

The plan is to use it in the KMnO4/Al/S flash mixture... It was suggested using MG starter on the visco fuse would be a better way to ensure ignition of the flash, and one could possibly get away with NOT using the S.

Any help would be wicked! :rolleyes:

infernal
February 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM
as an update I found some al powder thats stocked in boat shops at a pretty decent price.

vulture
February 28th, 2004, 11:56 AM
UTFSE!

There are several threads about KMnO4 flash.

Also, there's a thread of Sonny Jim that describes how to make efficient Al powder.

infernal
February 28th, 2004, 02:46 PM
thanks i just read that over last night... i've founda supplier of flake al (400mesh) and im getting some samples shipped out to me... trying to find a price on bulk shipments cause id rather just buy it than screw around with food processors.

pyrojunkie15
March 11th, 2004, 11:56 PM
I usually use kclo4/al flash, I Think it is more stable and safer that a permangnate oxidized flash. I usually order all my chemical from online sites and have not had any run in with the cops. We order everything we have in two's. My Friend orders all the oxidizers and i order all the fuels. A reliable site (and fairly cheap) www.pyrotech.org My sugestion is to find someone you can trust to help you order chemicals so the paper trail isn't obvious.

Doug
March 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM
It used to be quite easy to get hold of in the UK from craft and hobby suppliers for making aluminium castings like jewellery and small models.

wrench352
March 16th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Did you mean http://www.pyrotek.org/?
I quite like them, although they dont have the best prices in town. I was able to buy many things from them without any "hassles" ;)

DirtyDan
March 21st, 2004, 12:53 AM
On the pyrotek site, theres a book called "HOMEMADE 'HYDROGEN' GENERATOR" and entails using common household chemicals to produce hydrogen. I got bored and tried the electrolysis of H2O method to fill a baloon, but using a DC 12v 200ma transformer made things really slow... Anyone know what method they may be refering to?

Rhadon
March 21st, 2004, 10:58 AM
I didn't have a look at PyroTech, but Kipp's apparatus (http://humboldt.edu/~scimus/Instruments/Kipp-Noyes/KippApp.htm) is a common and well-working hydrogen generator.

Apart from that, this thread has nothing to do with the production of hydrogen. I approved this post, but other out-of-topic posts will become deleted.