View Full Version : Synthesis of Amyl nitrite

PIB
February 19th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I found it in the web...

It is prepared by passing nitrous fumes (from starch and concentrated nitric acid) into warm isoamyl alcohol, or by distilling a mixture of 26 parts of potassium nitrite in 15 parts of water with 30 parts of isoamyl alcohol in 30 parts of sulphuric acid.

nbk2000
February 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Wow...yet another stunningly informative post by you. Will your bountiful harvest of information ever cease to delight and amuse us all? I pray it never does.

vulture
February 20th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Just to post some other trivial shit:

HCN poisoning first aid treatment usually consists of letting the affected person breathing amylnitrite. Don't ask me what it does though. I suspect it lowers the blood pressure.

EDIT: Seems like my typing skills went down the shitter somewhere today...

TheHitMan
February 20th, 2004, 07:32 PM
"Amyl/butyl nitrate (poppers) is a powerful drug that can give you an almighty burst of dizzy energy for a couple of minutes.

The rush kicks in immediately, and for a few moments you'll feel like the bass drum has got inside your head, the lights have been turned up to a zillion watts and your heart is attempting a solo flight.

Side effects: Amyl can deliver the mother, father and immediate family of headaches. Never take amyl at work or at any place where there is a chance of physical danger - for the few moments that it kicks in you may well not be in control of your actions. If you're having a bit of a session and finding that it's becoming less effective, take a break from it."

Information taken from here (http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugamyl.html)

MrSamosa
February 24th, 2004, 02:36 PM
As treatment for HCN poisoning, Amyl Nitrite is placed on a towel, and held over the mouth/nose with an artificial respirator over top of it. The victim is allowed to breathe HCN for 30 seconds of each minute for, if I recall correctly, 3 minutes..

In general, Nitrites cause a relaxation of muscles and a dilation of blood vessels. Its use in treatment of CN, though, is because it can bond with the CN better than the hemoglobin can (I think it was the Nitrites that do; it may have been the Thiosulfate).

Because they are muscle relaxants, Nitrites have been popular in the gay community.. :eek: Also, they cause a general feeling of well-being for a few moments. The buzz kicks-in in about 15 seconds, and last for 3 minutes...

If used for HCN poisoning, which would be easier to obtain-- Butyl Nitrite or Amyl Nitrite?? But either way, you still need a buddy to treat you.

eXcidium
March 9th, 2004, 04:50 PM
From rhodium's site:

Equip a 1-litre three-necked flask with a powerfull mechanical stirrer, a separatory funnel with stem extending to the bottom of the flask and a thermometer. Cool the flask in a mixture of ice and salt. Place a solution of 95 g (1.38 mol) of 'AnalaR' sodium nitrite in 375 ml of water in the flask and stir. When the temperature is fallen to 0°C (or slightly below) introduce slowly from the separatory funnel a mixture of 25 ml of water, 62.5 g (34 ml) of concentrated sulphuric acid and 110 g (135 ml, 1.25 mol) of pentan-1-ol, which has previously been cooled to 0°C. The rate of addition must be controlled so that the temperature is maintained at +/- 1°C; the addition takes 45 - 60 minutes. Allow the mixture to stand for 1.5 hours and then filter from the precipitated sodium sulphate. Separate the upper yellow pentyl nitrite layer, wash it with a solution containing 1 g of sodium hydrogen carbonate and 12.5 g of sodium chloride in 50 ml of water, and dry it with 5-7 g of magnesium sulphate. The resulting crude pentyl nitrite (107 g, 73 %) is satisfactory for many purposes smile. Upon distillation, it passes over largely at 104 °C with negligible decomposition. The B.P. under reduced pressure is 29°C/40 mmHg.

Jhonbus
March 13th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Well unless Amyl nitrite is much better than Isobutyl nitrite then you'd be better off just buying it in a head shop than synthing it yourself. You can find it in nearly all head shops called "Rush" or "Gold" or a million other names. It comes in a little brown bottle, and is sold as "room odouriser", though why anyone would want their room to smell of Isobutyl nitrite is anyone's guess.. it stinks.

eXcidium
March 13th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Small problem :

a small vial of iso-butyl nitrite (rush) costs around $20

I wouldn't call that cheap... but if you do go ahead

Jhonbus
March 14th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Well round here it costs about £5, and you do get quite a lot.

Besides, I would call $20 cheap.. especially at today's exchange rates!

eXcidium
March 14th, 2004, 11:50 AM
J:
$20 for 10mL

$with 100 I can make a litter of it ;)

Jhonbus
March 14th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Fair enough then, if you need a litre of it. Personally I'm just not exposed to cyanide that often.

Pilathos
March 28th, 2004, 01:03 AM
I found it in the web...
A more specify temperature is given by Remington Pharmacy. It esterified a high grade of commercial amyl alcohol (isoamyl) boiling above 125ºC with nitrous acid, this acid is generated in contact with the alcohol from the sodium nitrite and diluted sulfuric acid. Density 0.870-0.876, dose each inhalation 0.30 ml.