View Full Version : One more reason to wear a hat

Tuatara
February 19th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Article from the New Scientist website

Explosive evidence that will not wash away

11:52 19 February 04

Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.

Bombers and bomb makers could soon be exposed by testing their hair for traces of explosives.

Jimmie Oxley, a chemist at the University of Rhode Island, Kingston, has extracted nanograms of the common explosives TNT, RDX and PETN from the hair of workers who handle these chemicals daily when training airport sniffer dogs. Even after several washes and brushing, the explosives still showed up in chromatography tests on a solvent-soaked comb that was run through the hair.

Oxley does not fully understand how the explosives bind to hair, but because her experiments showed that explosives bind more readily to dark hair than light, she thinks the pigment melanin, which gives hair its colour, may play a part. She has not, however, found a single chemical group common to the explosives that could be responsible for the binding.

While drugs such as heroin and cocaine get into hair via blood, Oxley has shown that the explosives simply evaporate and diffuse into the hair of people who handle them. It is the same slow evaporation of TNT, RDX and PETN that lets sniffer dogs detect these explosives.

Traces of explosives have also been found in clothes, but the beauty of using hair is that it is far less likely to be removed. "The Oklahoma city bomber Timothy McVeigh was wearing a T-shirt with TNT on it, but he probably also had explosives in his hair," says Oxley.

She will present the research at the Defense and Security Symposium to be held in Orlando, Florida, in April.

Celeste Biever

vulture
February 19th, 2004, 06:44 PM
2 Possible solutions:

1) Solvent shower... (eeew)
2) Get a haircut :p

And for the mad pyro's:

Deliberatly set your hair on fire.

Wild Catmage
February 23rd, 2004, 06:53 AM
There's an article in the UK Times newspaper about females concealing explosives on and/or in their bodies. I'll scan it in in the next 48 hours.

After that, I'll work on scanning "The Forensics of Explosives" if I can get hold of the book and a scanner again...

Bert
February 23rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
There's an article in the UK Times newspaper about females concealing explosives on and/or in their bodies.

Oh no, not the insidious CUNTBOMBERS! (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/content_objectid=13777201_method=full_siteid=89488 _headline=-AL-QAEDA-IN-PLOT-TO-BLOW-UP-BA-PLANE-name_page.html)

Wild Catmage
February 24th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Yep, you got it, although the Times article was a lot more "edited" :rolleyes:
I would upload it as a gif, but the image is too large, so it's a zipped bitmap now...

Jacks Complete
February 28th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Damn, I was going to post that article. :(

Yes, it is a little scary how science seems to be able to do anything these days!

Of course, you can screw with the tests a whole lot fairly easily. For example, go shooting, and you will have plenty of un-burned nitro fumes in your hair, along with traces of ash, etc. Use a coal-tar shampoo, and the hair will be covered in diverse hydrocarbons, hence giving you two plausible excuses!

They are nanogram quantities, so it would be a difficult thing to prove...

Any thoughts?