View Full Version : AP dimer-trimer conversion?

me234
February 24th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Now I'm not sure exactly how to go about this thread, but I recently had a bad AP synth and I'm sure I've got mostly the dimer form sitting here, so I started thinking about possible ways to convert it to the trimer form, I ended up with mostly bupkiss, so I thought it might be nice if members could post there ideas here with regards to the properties of the two, not really explosive properties, but rather physical properties that might be useful to try out, I now have a whole bunch of the dimer, and a bit of the trimer elsewhere, I was thinking that I might try as many of the good ideas that happen to come up here on some AP and compare the doctored dimer to the trimer. The only idea that my mind could come up with was subjecting the dimer to a high pressure (not too high of course) and leaving it for a while, perhaps in solution (be harder this way though), I thought that perhaps in an effort to releave the pressure the dimer might convert to the trimer (though probably slowly) which (hopefully) might have greater intermolecular forces which might bring the molecules closer together, even if only from an increased molecular weight.Sorry if it sounds lame but Le chatelier came to mind, it was the only thing I could think of. It would be nice for someone who has a dodgy synth to be able to do to up the trimer content.

Cyclonite
February 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Its a waste of time, you are also putting yourself at risk unnecessarily. When you make it just chill the H2O2 and acetone to freezer temp. When the temp is reached add the acid and put it back in the freezer. You may even need to put it in a refrigerator for the reaction to happen in a decent amount of time.

knowledgehungry
February 24th, 2004, 09:18 PM
You can't change it from dimer to trimer without breaking peroxide bonds, breaking peroxide bonds is always bad.

me234
February 25th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Cyclonite, I know to keep it cold, I just tried adding the acid to the acetone first, it turned a little red and warmed up, I was in a hurry so I didn't let it cool down enough before adding the H2O2 (50%), when I added it the red colour went away first then it heated up quite a bit, and stupid me didn't think that maybe I shouldn't make anything when in a hurry as this is when shit happens, the final yield was actually pretty good though, besides this was mostly a pipedream, and I definately agree with knowledgehungry, breaking O-O bonds is probably best left well the fuck alone, so I won't even bother. Thanks for the input anyway.

Xioa
March 15th, 2004, 12:44 AM
I've read from a few (possible unreliable) sources that when you dissolve trimetric AP in acetone, and let it evaporate off at room temperature, it forms dimetric AP because of the higher temperature it forms at. I was thinking that it could work the other way around, you could chill a solution of dimetric AP in acetone, then use a vacuum to evaporate the acetone. This would lead to theoretical trimetric AP. For some reason, this seems to good to be true to me. If anyone knows wether this would work or not, please say so. If it would work, I would be interersted in the results.

thelasttrueone
November 11th, 2007, 03:49 PM
When you put the acid in first you most likely started making DDDP. See a thread on that for details

The_Duke
November 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I think you mean DPPP :rolleyes:

It cannot be made by the suggested route. If you would have read the thread you speak of then you would know this...

megalomania
November 13th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I don't think the DPPP thread was around 3.5 years ago when this thread was created, so you can hardly critize the guy, thelasttrueone.