View Full Version : Proximity Safety and Arming Switch

nbk2000
February 29th, 2004, 06:29 AM
I recently had occassion to acquire a child-safety alarm, normally worth $40, for gratis. ;)

This (http://www.travel-accessories-products.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FOS&Product_Code=82562&Category_Code=TRVL-SEC) is what I got. Ignore the sickeningly cute devil-spawn.

Anyways, this device is an RF transponder pair, which will sound an alarm when they're seperated by a distance exceeding their limit.

I tested it with a clear line of sight of about 70-80 feet, but only about 50 if my body was between the two parts, or holding one tightly in my hand.

Anyways, I'm thinking these would make nice little safety devices for use with the IPDM.

You pull the pin, toss the IPDM, and it won't go off as long as you're still within range of it. If you go round a corner, it arms, as you're no longer in it's lethal range. Or, if you might need to come back that way, it'll deactivate (hopefully!) before you trip it, so you don't kill yourself.

It would also have application in a hostage bomb collar, as they can't leave your close supervision without getting decapitated, making escape attempts suicidal. :)

If the transmitter was secured such that the hostages couldn't fuck with it, you could "leash" them to a spot while you go elsewhere, secure in knowing that they're dead meat if they try leaving.

I'm reminded of a scene from a Bond movie where he puts a cigarrette case in a goons hand (in a closet) and tells him it's a motion-sensitive bomb that'll go off if he moves. It's not, but goon doesn't know it, so stays still.

Training your little devil spawn not to leave your sight would be a simple matter of it giving them a little electric shock if they wander away. :D

Chainhit 2
February 29th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Wow... the hostage idea is good nbk2000! Dident they have this in the movie Swordfish? Anyways.. your idea seems feasable. The only problem I see is if the "Enemy" is close to you and you throw the thing, you have to run backwords to set it off or throw the other peice the other derection. Do more testing first, if its tempremental or somthing blocks the wave like a wall it will detonate/blow up at a possibly lethal distance. I think that a delay will help, so if it messes up you have like 5 seconds to get away, but so could the enemy then. Sounds risky though.
Listin Timmy, if you stray away more then 50 yards somthing bad will happen... BOOOOOOOOOOOM...
Kinda sounds like the ultimate failsafe bomb idea.. but I dont know... do extensive testing with a firecracker before you get to putting grenades or such on it. Good idea :D

Hang-Man
February 29th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks Chainhit, without your in depth analysis NBK may have hurt himself.:rolleyes:
I think this would work well as a car bomb trigger. You wire the car bomb to part one of this little toy, and throw the second part in the garbage/bushes near by, and walk away. Mr. Victim starts the car, 50 feet down the road. BOOM.

Chainhit 2
February 29th, 2004, 11:37 PM
:( Am i banned or somthing? :(
About the car bomb, I was just thinking, is it possible to hook up a bomb to the ignition like they do in the movies?
And i just thought of a really really geto idea for a car bomb... make your munition, place in car, and use a fuse (manditory for gettoness), then tape a matchbook in such a way that when you pull on it it ignites the fuse and boom... then you tie a thin cord to the matchbook and glue it to the ground... So when the car moves it pulls the string and it lights the fuse.;.. :eek:
And you could possibly tie it to some rotating part so when the car starts, it moves.. etc... Can you get more getto then that? :(
Edit:How about a spool of fishing wire?

nbk2000
March 1st, 2004, 03:08 AM
You are now! :p

Silly k3wL. :rolleyes:

Neat idea about the car-bomb, Hangman.

You set it up, and you're long gone, with the victim deciding when the bomb goes off, as no remote ignition system is going to make a difference as the bomb doesn't go off until the car is actually moved. :)

You could flip this around so that the car bomb doesn't go off until the victim approaches the other half.

You know the victim will have to pass by a certain spot on his way to somewhere, but you don't know when.

Rather than stake 'em out 24/7, risking detection, you set the transponder at the chokepoint and let the victim drive into the killzone on his own time. :)

Imagine a device that clamps onto the brake lines, severing them on command. The device ONLY functions when it comes into range of the transponder, which is placed at "Dead Mans Curve" ;), cutting the lines and falling free to be recovered by the hitter.

Or a road-side claymore, going off only when the transponder that your spy has placed in the targets possession, passes by. Regardless of randomizing of vehicles, dressing up in a disguise, or any other subterfuge, the transponder is ONLY with the target, ensuring ONLY the target (and collateral personnel) gets killed.

Your guys don't have to sit and guess, nor is there any need for wires which can be traced back to their position.

Anyways, any obstruction solid enough to block the signal is solid enough to block the IPDM fragments, so that's not a concern.

Given the 200 hour lifespan of the batteries (according to the manufacturer) you'd have a week for the transponder to do its thing. :)

I wonder if they're all set to the same freq/code, or if it varies from unit to unit. If they're all the same, then you'd only need one master to control however many slave unit you've got.

There is one annoying thing that'd need to be corrected on it, though. When you first seperate the units, the master alerts. This would kill you if attached to a IPDM, as it'd instantly function when armed. :(

Work-around would be to have a safety switch between the transponder and the detonator, which would be flipped only after a few seconds to allow the transponder to set. Though you'd have to train this in well, otherwise you might forget to either arm the grenade, resulting in a dud, or prematurely disengaging the safety, resulting in a self-kill.

I don't trust electronic timing circuits to do the job, so a manual switch is needed, though perhaps a small LED could show that the IPDM transponder is still "hot". It'd have to change colors, because if it was simply "Off" to show SAFE, then a faulty LED could result in a self-kill too.

A-BOMB
March 1st, 2004, 03:53 PM
NBK I found this unit here awhile ago and got me to thinking what if you attached this to a door frame to activate what ever you have setup. There would be no getting past it, with a motion dector they can fool it, with a trip wire they cant cut and splice it, witha laser they can trick and reflect it. But with this unit there is nothing they can see, no wires or beams :) http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=7752

jojo7
March 1st, 2004, 10:24 PM
great idea, heres another cheap kiddie finder only $8.95
http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=7749

EP
March 2nd, 2004, 01:15 AM
An interesting idea, particularly the hostage "leash" application.

The problem with using it for a car bomb so that it passes by a certain location that is rigged up is that the charge could go off too soon. If it has a 50 foot range that means the charge would go off while the car/whatever is still 50ft away. If a claymore type charge was used this would work, but that isn't as effective against vehicles as some other methods. Seems like if you wanted the device to go off while the target was near, the simplest (K.I.S.S.) method would be just have somebody watching the spot with a remote.

On an unrelated note, is anyone having scrolling difficulties in the reply window? It scrolls really jerkily since the latest change for me, it never did that before.

nbk2000
March 2nd, 2004, 03:36 AM
It wouldn't be a problem, as the vehicle is moving very quickly, about 73 feet per second at 55MPH.

Since it takes about a second or so for the alarm to sound from the last time the transponder recieves a reply to its query, that'd be 50 feet approaching + 23 feet receding, so within 7 yards of the bomb.

Besides which, multiple triggers can be used to insure target engagment.

Transponder is placed "upstream" of the bomb, to detect the approach of the target, which then activates an instantaneous trigger like a break beam or magnetic influence, which sets off the weapon at the closest approach.

Until the target approaches the killzone, the mine/Claymore/AT missile is inert to all other possible targets.

Let them sweep the roads, spray RF wattage all over the spectrum, drive up and down the road with roller tracks and decoy cars...won't do jack shit because the weapon is comatose 'till the victim wakens it.

Besides assassination, protecting your flanks while on "The Job" would be quite appropriate.

I'm thinking a simple minimore covering doorways, hallways, side of buildings, etc, with a PIR detector initiator.

You set it up to go off if someone sneaks up on your ass while you're busy with your work.

If you don't have to run, you can approach them safely to disarm and retrieve them. If you've got feral bacon on your ass, you run right past them, trusting the transponder to disarm them as you approach, and re-arm as you clear them.

You set up multiple minimore ambushes along your escape route and possible flanking positions persuers may take. You breeze through them while the chasers eat hot shrapnel at every turn.

If the transponder doesn't work...well...at least you don't have to worry about prison! :D

See, there's a bright side to everything if you look hard enough for it. ;)

Because it's an RF system, it'll work through doors and typical walls, so you can set the minimore up, aimed at a door that the pigs would have to go through to get to you, and have it arm once the door is closed.

You can open the door safely because the boobytrap disarms as you approach it, before the detection range. But anyone opening the door, even a little, would get fragged through the door/wall before they could open the door enough to peek through.

These HBC (Hostage Bomb Collars) would also be nifty for use with sex slaves.

Typical scenario is guy with captured teenie chained up in a basement dungeon.

Inevitably, they chew their own limb off (OK...slight exaggeration) and escape.

BUT, what if there were no chains or such, just a collar around their neck? The stairway up to freedom is shielded by sheetmetal from the rest of the basement dungeon. If slave enters the stairway, it gets the living shit shocked out of it until it crawls back into its corner.

If it manages to get up the stair, once the door is opened, that activates a secondary circuit (another transponder) that sets off a small explosive charge in the collar, decapitating the rebellious slave.

Between these two deterrents, there should be no possibility of escape.

Once well trained, the slave can be taken around the house, since the master has a transponder controller on him that administers shock on command, and also has the lethal charge out-of-range function.

Slaves aren't told about the "boom" function, so if they're feeling frisky and incapitate/kill you in an attempt to run, they don't get far and don't get away with it. :)

Dave the Rave
March 22nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
NBK, awesome idea !!! If I only had an basement ;)

We can use microwave emiters to create an death wave on the path of the atackers and also use claymore mines to finish those who make their way through the microwaves.

With MW we can kill many more pigs, as none will notice the waves and the device will become funtional till all be dead. If someone escapes, then the caymores finish the job.